Questions about my '17 650 from a new rider - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 05-11-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Questions about my '17 650 from a new rider

Greetings

Since the only bikes I've had experience on are this one and the one I did the training course on, maybe this is common knowledge and not specific to the 650 but I figure I'd ask. My bike is a 2017 vstrom 650 that had 3700 miles on it.

So, that electronic hum/whine/whistle that inteisifies/abates in sync with the rpms, that's completely normal and is supposed to happen right?

Assuming that is the case - I understand that the engine probably drowns it out for everyone NOT riding the bike, but as the person on the bike, with the way it seems to emanate right out of the front into your face, it seems awfully...untamed at times. With my helmet visor down it's perfectly reasonable, but sometimes it just seems to really pop out at you. I believe I read it was the electronic fuel injection doing its thing?

Are there ways to muffle it? Assuming it is a normal part of the v-strom experience, I'm not terribly worried about it, but it sure would be nice if it were less obvious.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Welcome!

Well the bikes do make a lot of noise but I am not sure what noise you are referring to: electronic hum/whine/whistle that intensifies/abates in sync with the rpms

Are you saying it get louder with increasing rpm's or does the sound frequency/ pitch change with rpm?

Is it there when you just rev the engine in neutral or only when driving? If when driving in which gear(s)? At what rpms?

You may need to record it and post it on YouTube for the inmates to give you better answers.

AND fill in your profile so we know where you are, is sometimes important to understand certain issues.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 32 Old 05-11-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the response, I'll get on that.

This video showcases it perfectly. Sorry not sure how to embed but it starts just as the ignition starts at 2:32
edit: Ugh I can't post links either yet, sorry, once my post count gets up I'll post the proper link, but until then I guess I can just tell you the name of the youtube video.

"Suzuki V-strom 650 walk around + engine sound" on youtube starting at 2:32

Just to be clear I am NOT referring to the "booting up" sounds when you flip the red switch.

As soon as the engine starts, in perfect sync with the putter putter of the engine, there's the putter putter of what I daresay sounds like a pump. As he moves back to the exhaust the putter of the exhaust becomes clearer while the electronic putter fades a bit, making it clear that while linked, the two types of putter come from a different source. The electronic putter is very clear and obvious from the moment the ignition starts up though. As he revs the engine, so too does the speed and pitch of the electronic putter. While the video does not showcase sustained high speeds, at high frequencies it does tend to sound like a whistle.

Judging by the tires the one in the video is probably new so I assume it's just part of the strom. But just the same, maybe someone has devised a way to muffle it?

Thank you.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
When you key on you will hear the whine of the fuel pump, but it does NOT go up and down with the rpm's. That noise must be from within the engine - possibly the cam chains rounding the cam chain sprocket, or the primary drive sprocket. That transmission tunnel seems to amplify engine noise on V-Stroms.

I found this on Amazon. Perhaps this foam could be adapted to fit a V-Strom.
https://www.amazon.com/Add-Accessori...r=8-4-fkmrnull
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tunnel.JPG (67.1 KB, 20 views)

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 32 Old 05-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazooty View Post
Thanks for the response, I'll get on that.

This video showcases it perfectly. Sorry not sure how to embed but it starts just as the ignition starts at 2:32
edit: Ugh I can't post links either yet, sorry, once my post count gets up I'll post the proper link, but until then I guess I can just tell you the name of the youtube video.
As soon as the engine starts, in perfect sync with the putter putter of the engine, there's the putter putter of what I daresay sounds like a pump. As he moves back to the exhaust the putter of the exhaust becomes clearer while the electronic putter fades a bit, making it clear that while linked, the two types of putter come from a different source. The electronic putter is very clear and obvious from the moment the ignition starts up though. As he revs the engine, so too does the speed and pitch of the electronic putter. While the video does not showcase sustained high speeds, at high frequencies it does tend to sound like a whistle.
Thank you.
@Wazooty , I watched the video and the rising, falling "whistle"sound is from the cam chain, at least is is on mine. 🎶 Ear plugs help somewhat, but I've just gotten used to it to where I unconsciously tune it out-really doesn't bother me.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
post #6 of 32 Old 05-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

OK, this is the normal noise of the engine, as mentioned before. Wear ear plugs and focus on your riding, ignore all the sounds, its a new bike. At riding speed wind noise will be mostly what you hear.

And focus on ATGATT as well as additional lighting front and back and bright colors for your gear. They are out to get you and being defensive is important.
Hatchi and Nicad like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #7 of 32 Old 05-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Wazooty, You may find that the wind turbulence > vehicle noises ( yours as well as others ) Can be
almost completely eliminated with the use of ear plugs. I have never used them ever on any bike I've
owned except this one. 17 DL 650 The best way to descibe it, is like riding an electric motorcycle.
All the mechanical noises simply go away and you become one with the machine.
I purchased foam ear plugs that offer a 32 db noise reduction. Under my full face helmet.
I can still hear traffic and such but the volume feels one tenth that of normal.

Can I say that at first I thought " I don't need these things " Well after getting them I'm a believer.
They make the riding experience much more personal...
Spec likes this.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED aux lights , Goldwing pegs, Metalic silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors , BeadRider Ceramic bead seat cover on order.
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system simmering on low in the oven.

Avatar image is a custom made Harley Sportster all hand built from junk parts from a retired engineers desk. Took 80 hours to make.
post #8 of 32 Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I thought I could do without ear plugs but I would recommend them to any rider unless they are already deaf. Maybe not needed on some other bikes but on my Strom they make long and short distances much more enjoyable. I found my ears ringing after rides without them. ringing=damage is my understanding. You may shrug it off when young but over time you regret not being able to hear music and conversation as well. RF-1200 is pretty quiet.

kfh000
RestoRider2017 and Nicad like this.

Last edited by kfh000; 05-16-2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: typo and added helmet info
post #9 of 32 Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the responses lads and ladettes. Knowing that it's supposed to sound that way will make it easy to ignore.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-17-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So I got the bike with 3700 miles on it. The dealer said they'd drop it off with new oil/filter and battery. Looking at the status of those items both when I got it and now, 2 months and 2500 miles later, after having looked up such details, suggests that may have been a lie. Anyways, I changed the oil/filter and maybe it's all placebo, but it sure feels like the high end whistle has really been reduced and the low end power that you want to hear really comes through better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode