StromTrooper banner

Questions about my '17 650 from a new rider

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  RestoRider2017 
#1 ·
Greetings

Since the only bikes I've had experience on are this one and the one I did the training course on, maybe this is common knowledge and not specific to the 650 but I figure I'd ask. My bike is a 2017 vstrom 650 that had 3700 miles on it.

So, that electronic hum/whine/whistle that inteisifies/abates in sync with the rpms, that's completely normal and is supposed to happen right?

Assuming that is the case - I understand that the engine probably drowns it out for everyone NOT riding the bike, but as the person on the bike, with the way it seems to emanate right out of the front into your face, it seems awfully...untamed at times. With my helmet visor down it's perfectly reasonable, but sometimes it just seems to really pop out at you. I believe I read it was the electronic fuel injection doing its thing?

Are there ways to muffle it? Assuming it is a normal part of the v-strom experience, I'm not terribly worried about it, but it sure would be nice if it were less obvious.

Thank you.

See less See more
#32 ·
I do know the transmissions in these bikes can make a gear whine. And at certain speeds ( steady cruise)
it can cause what would be Reverberations. Or Harmonics. I have heard this on my bike in 6th gear.
Not lugging the engine either. My bike only has 1400 miles on it but I still consider it fully broken in.
Since the MFG says 1000 miles. My older V star 650 Yamaha had a similar gear whine in lower gears.
Like 4th and sometimes 5th. And it was 20 years old with 19 K miles on it.
I do know from other long term owners on this site that these bikes are good for many thousands of trouble
free miles when the proper maintanence is followed. at the correct intervals or sooner. not later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.