Question Regarding unused connectors from factory. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-05-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Question Regarding unused connectors from factory.

I've seen numerous references in various different threads about some unused/capped connectors on V-stroms as they come from the factory. Heated grip wiring, auxilliary wiring, etc., are just some of the things I've seen referenced. So, how many of such connectors are there? Where are they all located? I'm an electrical novice; so, for what can they be used? I'm assuming they can be used for any accessory one wants. This would be an easy way for me to forego running additional wire in the future. I placed this in this forum because I own a 2017 DL650 XT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Eastern Beaver is your friend. They have excellent reputation, solid engineering and a ready-made solution to providing power to your accessories--switched or unswitched.

Not avoiding your query, just forwarding some potentially useful information. There are unused plugs available on Stroms for items such as heated grips, etc. that were not factory installed. Those are still an option, but the pre-engineered solutions available make these tasks much easier.
Webfors likes this.

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Stromthusiast!

+1 for eastern Beaver. I ran their stuff on my previous Vstrom, bought some non bike specific things for other bikes I've owned, and am currently running their stuff on my current vstrom.

They have connectors that use those unused plugs, and also a few things that split off from current plugs (for example, if you want a switched relay, they have one that ties into the break lights I believe)

I might even put their little Beaver power sticker on my saddlebag!
K9 Wee likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I'm assuming they can be used for any accessory one wants.
You have to look at the size of the fuse that protects the circuit you're tapping into. You can't overload the fuse.

The accessory plug doesn't have anything drawing from it. It's on a 3A fuse so you can tap into those wires for small things like a phone, GPS or small LED spots, but you ain't hooking a heated jacket liner to it.

Fuse #2 protects the unused heated grip fitting. It's on a circuit along with your horn, dash & all non-headlight lighting. With no heated grips added you probably have about 3A of bandwidth there too since that's the approx draw of heated grips.

Safe bet is always to create a new direct-to-battery circuit with in-line fuse holder and relay. Loads on of how-to info out there on doing this.
DesertBike likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Thanks guys. However, I have enough Eastern Beaver stuff to open an outlet store. Heck I even use it for my boat and my pickup.

On another note, I've seen numerous references in various different threads about some unused/capped connectors on V-stroms as they come from the factory. Heated grip wiring, auxilliary wiring, etc., are just some of the things I've seen referenced. So, how many of such connectors are there? Where are they all located? I'm an electrical novice; so, for what can they be used? I'm assuming they can be used for any accessory one wants. This would be an easy way for me to forego running additional wire in the future.

Thanks for that information brock29609.

Last edited by BigSky; 05-06-2019 at 08:58 AM.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
So, how many of such connectors are there?

I'm only aware if the heated grip connector, however, there's no reason to go chasing connectors. There are wires all over the bike that you can tap into. The ones running down the left side to the rear lighting is the easiest to get access. Same circuit as the heated grip connector.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
I'm only aware if the heated grip connector
I've read people discussing at least one other unused auxiliary connector. Of course, they could be wrong. That's why I posted this thread.

Quote:
.........there's no reason to go chasing connectors. There are wires all over the bike that you can tap into.
I know. However, that doesn't let one know about the unused connectors that exist.

Quote:
There are wires all over the bike that you can tap into.
I know, I've done that.

Quote:
The ones running down the left side to the rear lighting is the easiest to get access.
The ones for my rear lighting run down the right side and I have tapped into that/those.

Quote:
The ones running down the left side to the rear lighting is the easiest to get access. Same circuit as the heated grip connector.
That I did not know. Very interesting.

Onto the topic of this thread, Does anybody know how many there are and where they are all located? I think we are agreed that the heated grip connector is 1. I've heard/read reference to others. Curiosity is it. I just thought it would be easy to put that inquiry out there for anybody who might know.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I've read people discussing at least one other unused auxiliary connector.

The ones for my rear lighting run down the right side
The wiring diagram shows only the one for grips, if that means anything to you.

For clarity for those reading, rear lighting wires run on left side from battery rearward. Not sure if they also extend from the front half.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
The wiring diagram shows only the one for grips, if that means anything to you..
It does. Thank you. Apparently the others are mistaken.

Quote:
For clarity for those reading, rear lighting wires run on left side from battery rearward. Not sure if they also extend from the front half.
For clarity for those reading, my apologies as I don't assume you are all as big of morons as I am. I made the, apparently false, assumption that the brake light wires (which are on the right side of the bike as pictured below - white plug with white wires) and the "rear lighting wires", as mentioned by brock29609, ran together. So as to not create confusion, if you order a PC-8 from Eastern Beaver, it's plug fits right into that junction/plug on the right side of your motorcycle. Maybe there is a matching one on the left side for other rear lighting. If so, I didn't mean to make you think you couldn't use it. This is the one (right side, pictured below) I was directed to use by Jim at Eastern Beaver.

Last edited by BigSky; 05-06-2019 at 02:38 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-06-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Oh, and in case I'm wrong again. As I've stated previously, I am an electronics moron. I may have made a different false assumption. What I do know is unplugging the pictured connection above, my brake lights don't work. Plugging it back in, they work. Maybe it's not the brake wire; but, it definitely has that affect AND the PC-8 powers up and acts as it should as I was promised by Jim at Eastern Beaver.

Last edited by BigSky; 05-06-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode