Factory Heated Grips Reviee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Factory Heated Grips Reviee

I just installed the new factory heated grips on my 2017 650 so I thought I would post a review.

The install took me three and a half hours total including removing and replacing the factory hand guards. The tank has to be removed so the seat, tank, and side body work has to be removed. I followed Dr. Vstromís tank removal video and it all came apart without anything breaking.

Fishing the wiring harness through was a bit of work but it all ultimately went together as the excellent instructions indicated. I managed to get three wiring in without removing the air box but anyone with bigger hands (size large) might not have the room to work.

The system is truly plug and play but there is a fair amount of disassembly involved to get to the plug and play portion. I think I have read that the prior version was not all that warm, not true with the V3 grips. They heat very uniformly and get quite hot. I went out in summer weight leather gloves at 42 degrees Fahrenheit with the grips on high. Within a few miles I had to turn them down as my hands were getting too warm.

All in all my first impressions are very positive.

2017 V-Strom 650
2012 DRZ 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Can you describe where the plug is? Is it under the fuel tank?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy View Post
Can you describe where the plug is? Is it under the fuel tank?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
The plug is under the fuel tank, below and to the left or the air box behind the radiator. It is taped to another connector and is capped so it actually looks like it is part of the other connector. Mine was taped with white tape, unwrap the tape and pull the cap off and you are good to go. The lead is short so you do not have much room to work however.

2017 V-Strom 650
2012 DRZ 400

post #4 of 14 Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Factory Heated Grips Reviee

Thanks for write up, very helpful. Iím looking to order the heated grips adapter from Eastern Beaver. Can you confirm if the plug looked like this:

or like this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 V-Strom 650 XT - Champion Yellow
post #5 of 14 Old 04-27-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlr63 View Post
Thanks for write up, very helpful. I’m looking to order the heated grips adapter from Eastern Beaver. Can you confirm if the plug looked like this:

or like this:

My plug looked like the first white one.

2017 V-Strom 650
2012 DRZ 400
post #6 of 14 Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info. I purchased both leads from EB and only found the first (white) one. I installed Koso Apollo heated grips, they are very similar to OEM with an integrated 5 level illuminated switch in the left grip, plug and play with OEM heated grips plug, didn't have to move any body panels or tank.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 07:12 AM
$tromtrooper

I LOVE my heated grips. I can't believe I went 30 years without them.

Two wheels for realz!
post #8 of 14 Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhat View Post
My plug looked like the first white one.

Thank you, that was the only lead I could find when I took my tank off and I just wanted to make sure I wasnít missing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
Thanks for the info. I purchased both leads from EB and only found the first (white) one. I installed Koso Apollo heated grips, they are very similar to OEM with an integrated 5 level illuminated switch in the left grip, plug and play with OEM heated grips plug, didn't have to move any body panels or tank.

I also installed the Koso Apolloís but I ran them back to the EB-PC8. I love that they have the integrated controller and the five levels as opposed to the factory three. I intend to use the heated grip lead for an accessory.

post #9 of 14 Old 05-04-2019, 01:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlr63 View Post
Thank you, that was the only lead I could find when I took my tank off and I just wanted to make sure I wasnít missing anything.
I also installed the Koso Apolloís but I ran them back to the EB-PC8. I love that they have the integrated controller and the five levels as opposed to the factory three. I intend to use the heated grip lead for an accessory.
For the Apollos, did you purchase the 120mm or 130mm length ?

From the point of ignition, to the final drive, the point of the journey is not to arrive...
post #10 of 14 Old 05-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhenem View Post
For the Apollos, did you purchase the 120mm or 130mm length ?

I didnít pay attention that there were more than one size when I bought them from Amazon. As it turns out, I got the 130mm grips. Had I known there were shorter, I would have bought them. The 130ís fit, but they do extend beyond the end of the tubes a little far and positioning the bar ends and hand guards to accommodate was a challenge. I would strongly suggest the 120ís for the Strom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode