StromTrooper banner

Windscreen - Givi vs MRA

14K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  justin0679 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I couldn't live with the buffeting (felt like being kicked in the head) of the original windscreen, so I got (based on reviews) the Givi Airflow screen.

Admittedly, it was pretty good at keeping me out of the wind completely (except I got buffeting again at higher speeds and certain 'wind vectors' (when the wind would be blowing strongly certain angles compared to the direction I was driving). However, I don't mind a bit of wind (adds to the speed sensation, as long as it's clean wind and not buffeting)

However, on my previous bike I had an MRA Vario Touring screen which dumped the air on my shoulders and head, but got rid of the buffeting pretty well.

While I would certainly have been able to live with the Givi screen, I bought an MRA to see if that would make me feel better, and it appears it does. i'm back to fairly clean wind on shoulders and head, and a good airstream into my ventilation holes (which was a bit of an issue with the givi screen).

I think this is going to be a keeper (and I can recommend the MRA screen to those who are looking for a windscreen which leaves you with a bit of an air stream, unlike the Givi screen which doesn't).

See less See more
#7 ·
I got this one. https://www.bike-design.com/nl-be/product/80051/vario-touring-windscherm-helder

I'm not saying the AF isn't good, it's a bit too good at what it does well (= I have too little airflow) and I still get turbulence (feeling that my head is banged about) if I ride too fast.

I prefer to have clean airflow on my shoulders - which is what the MRA gives me and what I was used to on my CB. If the original windscreen had felt like this instead of being banged about, I wouldn't have bothered with another screen.

#4 ·
To be clear, most buy an aftermarket windshield to keep air off your shoulders and head. At speed on highways, air hitting you is rarely turbulence free and will be much more noisy than a properly sorted windshield setup. Now if you want to get away from the stock design to make air that does hit you be a bit less turbulent, a different brand can certainly effect that. Or, just take the windshield off completely or cut it off above the mounting area so it looks nice.

While I am not a fan of the Givi for all out touring, it is a very good screen for local commuting and lower speeds. One thing that comes to mind in this case is the fact that you can remove the upper part of the screen and leave it off if you need more air onto your body. Might be the best of both, having more protection when needed, less when you don't!

#15 ·
While I am not a fan of the Givi for all out touring, it is a very good screen for local commuting and lower speeds.
realshelby, do you have a screen you recommend that works well in all conditions? I currently have the Givi AF and am still playing with it to get airflow how I like it. Switched to a Schubert from an Arai and noticed VERY different buffeting. None at all with the Arai and quite a bit with the Schubert with same settings. Not going to switch at this time but like to have options if/when that time comes.

#8 ·
The only problem I have with my AF is the line of sight is interrupted by the screen rim when topping a hill (lots of them in PA).I normally have sight above screen, but it drops at crest of hill and is sometimes unnerving. As far as wind, no problems unless strong gusts from the side that get under my helmet and almost take my head off. But the screen has nothing to do with that. I also noticed, at night, the AF just pushes the bugs up and over my head. Sometimes can just see them whizzing up and over. Now that's a real advantage.

#10 ·
I dont have a problem with the AF blocking so much wind, because it allows me to crack or even fully open the shield without much turbulence. its nice being able to drive like that every once in a while. I would rather that on very hot days than using the venting in the helmet. Thats just me though. As far as the Givi line of sight, I change the angles a lot during riding to change the height with the top shield all the way down. (I find top shield towards the bottom gives a better air curtain). All the way back gives me a good line, depending on mounting position and rider height.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Hey all,

Does anyone know if Mimo is still selling his wind deflectors? I've been looking at buying a set for a couple of years now, and need some for an upcoming trip. I've tried to PM and email him, but his inbox is full, and I haven't received a reply to the email I sent. I hope everything is okay with him!

Thanks,
Mike

#17 · (Edited)
I have created a monster. Yes, a Frankenstein fairing. I have the MRA Vario Touring fitted on top of the lower section of the Givi Air Flow. The Givi section is on the lowest mounting points and the BRUUDT adjustable windscreen mounding bracket allows me to add some height to the MRA screen. I like the look of the MRA screen and with the Givi Lower section, the bike looks great and airflow is working well although I have yet to go on a long fast drive. Will report back if any one is interested.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Bicycle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Gas

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

#22 ·
On Sunday just past, I drove south to Worthing and it took about 90 minutes and often at 80ish and after lunch I drove home. I can confirm that my Frankenstein Windscreen using the Givi Airflow combined with the MRA Vario touring screen on top Works very well. I am 5’10 And have all on the lowest fixing points apart from the top wing on the MRA. I used the Bruudt height adjustment brackets and a few stainless bolts and spacers and happy days… small screen and zero buffeting at 90.

#18 ·
Welcome to the forum, Justin.

I added the MRA X-creen Touring clamp on to the top of my OEM windshield. Easily adjustable to get or direct the air flow you want.

Rectangle Font Art Pattern Diagram

#21 · (Edited)