Recommended maintenance after a long storage period - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Recommended maintenance after a long storage period

I picked up a 17 Wee last summer and the next night I got a call informing me that I had won an all expenses paid trip to exotic Kabul Afghanistan. What would y’all recommend I need check, lube, replace, etc. when I get back? It will have parked for about ~10 months by the time I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Garage
Battery will very likely need charged, other than tire pressure and lubing/checking chain there isn't much else. I hope you had a full tank of gas, otherwise there is a remote chance you could have some rust in there all depending on where/how the bike was stored/parked? Might not hurt to throw in some Techron fuel treatment as well, as MOST of us here don't believe it to be complete snake oil.

Welcome back and thanks for you service!!!
eff likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Big B,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately a couple months premature on the welcome home but I am getting close enough to start counting days vs. months.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjumps View Post
Big B,

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately a couple months premature on the welcome home but I am getting close enough to start counting days vs. months.

Stay safe soldier, are you Airborne by chance "chrisjumps"? My son was in Kabul for a stint, he's out now but was 10th mountain infantryman out of Fort Polk.
eff likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Was but I haven’t jumped in years. I guess I should change to chrisjumped or chrisdesks for truth in advertising.

Big B and Trepidator like this.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

OOh, ooh, I was at Ft Polk for Tiger Land training in '67 but ended up a truck driver in Germany. FUBAR!
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Back to your bike. Was it new last year or what mileage?

Unless you prepared it for storage with full tank and fuel stabilizer I would not try to start it, not even turn on the ignition without checking the tank. If there is any chance there is rust I would drain/ siphon out as much fuel as possible, remove the tank, then the fuel pump and inspect. Depending on what you find then decide if all is well and clean the pump strainer filter and put all back together or if not well report back for more suggestions. By not running the pump you will prevent it form a lot of muck being sucked into the pump and possibly plugging up the pump high pressure filter.

With the tank off do all the maintenance items that may be due or at least check the plugs, air filter … Note: Sometimes critters like to make their home in the filter.

Valve check due by any chance? You are halfway there already.
Is the coolant due, goes hand in hand with the valve check because the front cylinder is best accessed with the radiator removed.

Other than that I would check common sense items and ride it. You will see if there is anything else amiss.

Be safe!
Motor7 and Hatchi like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #8 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

I would replace all the gas and engine oil prior to starting it up for the 1st time. Both can cause issues after sitting for a long time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM
$tromtrooper

Premium, high octane gas, filled right to the top, preferably no ethanol, add double dose of stabil and I put a dose of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) to fight corrosion and because it's a mild cleaner. Run it for a minute to get the treated gas run through.

Lube chain and shift points, change oil (depending on how much mileage is on the current fill) put a battery tender on her, and she'll be fine for when you get back.

Safe travels brother.

Two wheels for realz!
post #10 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

10 months is not long term.

Air up the tires and check charge/replace the battery and ride on.
V-Tom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode