Recommended maintenance after a long storage period - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 04-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

If the bike has the stock paper filter it will be fine but if it has a aftermarket foam filter that will most likely be toast, they don't like not being used.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 04-13-2019, 07:14 AM
$tromtrooper

Corn juice can phase separate as early as 2 months. Once that happens a fuel additive(ethanol killer) will not help, so I am in the 'pull the tank and dump the gas' corner. Shine a flashlight in there and see if it needs a rinse & if so kerosene is good for that and smells great. While you have the tank off, check that airbox/filter for rodents, it the the perfect medium for a mouse house.

If it's not on a battery tender the battery might be toast, but charge it up and see if it holds a charge then get it load tested at any auto parts store. I picked up a Harbor Freight load tester at an auction for $2.50 and the damn thing has come in handy so many times everyone should own one:
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...9888-9191.html

I really don't see any need to dump the oil, it does not separate, or become contaminated from sitting?

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #13 of 17 Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

Accumalated water vapor separates from oil and rusts the steel. Carbon, water, and sulfur in the used engine oil can combine and create an acid over time. That's why it's recommended changing it before and after storage. There's even a special preserving oil just for long term storage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #14 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

10 months is not that long. You can do all the above recommendations if it makes you feel better but I’d just top off the battery and tires and go ride it. I might also top off the tank with fresh fuel once the tank is half empty.
Big B, V-Tom and Motorpsychology like this.

Last edited by Hogges; 04-20-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchi View Post
Accumalated water vapor separates from oil and rusts the steel. Carbon, water, and sulfur in the used engine oil can combine and create an acid over time. That's why it's recommended changing it before and after storage. There's even a special preserving oil just for long term storage.

If you change oil before storage, you most certainly don't need to change it after storage. Of course put me in the camp of doing neither, as any issues of what you state would take years to cause any real damage if any at all. Hell years ago I picked up a 77 Suzuki GS550 which had sat for 15 years, all I did was flush the tank, rebuilt the carbs, changed oil, new battery.......bike fired right up and ran like a top.
Webfors likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #16 of 17 Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've read the reason to change it after storage is because the additives in the oil have done their job to limit the potential damage from the chemistries and any water vapor that's accumulated in there. It's common for many engine powered devices to base the replacement interval on mileage and time, i.e. 5000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Hatchi; 04-22-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-22-2019, 09:20 AM
$tromtrooper

I ran my DL650 late last season with Rotella 5w40, put about 1k miles on it, stored it all winter, fired right up and have been driving it on the same oil.

Oil additives have a much higher shelf life than one season of 6-10 months of storage.

The gas is more important IMO. If you can find premium non-ehtanol, topped up, with stabil and a dose of MMO, that will never fail you. I've had generators sit with the same fuel for 1.5 years with that routine, they fire right up.

Here almost all premium 91 octane is ethanol free.
Big B likes this.

Two wheels for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode