2017+ lowering links and side stand - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rum Runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2017+ lowering links and side stand

I used Murph's Kits 3/4" lowering links on my previous '07 DL650, and then had to shorten the side stand to keep the bike from tipping over. It stood about vertical with the lowering links, just touching the right side saddle case was enough to tip over the bike.

Would I be able to install the same 3/4" lowering links on my 2018 DL650 without shortening the side stand? Will the bike confidently stand upright with enough lean, not just be "pretty good but the side stand should still be shortened"?

I also use an Adventuretech side stand plate, that already stands the bike fractionally more vertical, but still very much has good lean to prevent a right side tip over.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 01:54 AM
$tromtrooper

Steve,
I lowered my 2011 vstrom 650 1" when I first purchased it. I did not shorten the kickstand, and probably should have.

When I lowered my 2014 Vstrom 1000, I also had the kickstand lowered 1". I was very happy with the results. I initially tried Soupy's adjustable height kickstand, and was not satisfied with its' functionality.

It should be very obvious once the lowering links are installed, how the bike sits and the need for any/how much lowering.

Good luck

Last edited by chirosyd; 04-08-2019 at 01:57 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I installed a 1” lowering link on my 2017 DL650 and I cut a good inch and a quarter (1.4” theoretical if the stand is at a 45 degree angle to the floor) out of the sidestand tubing and then welded it back together. The front is also lowered by about a 7/8”. Except for the fact that I welded the kickstand back together at a slightly wrong angle (toe sticking up a bit) it turned out to be perfect, especially with a sidestand foot enlarger installed.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 07:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

2017 V-650. I did the Adv-Tech. 7/8 lowering links and absolutely no issues with the side stand. However I have not as yet lowered the front forks, and may not. Rode my trusty KLR for years with the rear lowered and not the front and actually liked it that way. I did have to get a new side stand with the KLR though.
richlandrick likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rum Runner, what are the handling characteristics of your front end being relatively higher than the rear end? I'm guessing straight line stability is good (improved?), but steering is a bit slower and takes a bit more effort? Or, something completely different?

Thanks,
Steve.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Difficult for me to make a call on that at this time. Bike is too new as I need more seat time on it. I got the V mostly for ADV road trips and have other bikes for more or less daily use. Havenít even finished my first break in miles yet. But plan is get first oil change done this week then take a run in the mountains this weekend and maybe an overnight camping trip. Ya thatís the ticket
post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had Soupy's adjustable sidestand and oversized foot on my 2014 650 which I lowered the same amount (3/4"). I tried it with the stock stand for a couple days after lowering it and felt it was a bit unstable on the hills in the Bay Area. The sidestand was definitely a bit pricey for what it was but I ended up getting one used of the forum. Looks like the same one fits the new 2017+ model so you can always keep an eye out...
post #8 of 8 Old 04-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
lowering

Hi.
I just purchased a 2019 650XT touring. After reading this thread I just installed the Adventure Tech lowering links (1 1/8"). It has been to cold to ride. Looking forward to see how it handles. The angle with the kick stand down did not change much (1/4" measured from foot peg to ground). With watching how I park I think it will be ok not shortening the kick stand. I did not lower the forks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode