Question for those who've installed risers without modification - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Question for those who've installed risers without modification

For those of you who have successfully installed bar risers without modification on a 2017 650, what brand and size did you use. By "without modification" I mean without adding any new parts other than the risers. What else did you do to accomplish the mission?

Personally, I would like to go up 1.25 to 1.5 inches and back about the same. In viewing the wiring and cable situation, I don't think it can be done.

Yes, I've looked at all of the riser threads and what some have done and what some have planned to do. I would like to have a "success thread" with what worked and, possibly, what didn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I used rox 2" pivot risers.
I rerouted everything outside the triple tree and unbolted the clamp from the brake line at the triple tree.
The vertical is not an issue, but pulling them back starts to eat up the slack pretty quick.
Motor7 and DesertBike like this.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynlcut View Post
I rerouted everything outside the triple tree and unbolted the clamp from the brake line at the triple tree.
The vertical is not an issue, but pulling them back starts to eat up the slack pretty quick.
I'm assuming when your risers are pivoted 45degrees back you have 1.5 inches up and back? Is this setting achievable with the Rox and stock cables and hoses?

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)

post #4 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 07:37 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I installed the machined 30mm spacers with no issues.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I installed the ones sold on eBay, from Turkey. See picture (not the best, I took it to document my GPS mount). It made a huge difference in seating position/ back comfort. The cables are ok but about as far as one can go without modifications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44D59C18-96A2-4717-808C-4639FB2B2DA3_1554464863181.jpg (352.6 KB, 61 views)
hb9400 and DesertBike like this.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 08:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogges View Post
I installed the ones sold on eBay, from Turkey. See picture (not the best, I took it to document my GPS mount). It made a huge difference in seating position/ back comfort. The cables are ok but about as far as one can go without modifications.
You also dropped the front end which makes a huge difference.
DesertBike likes this.

'13 GL1800
'17 DL650A
post #7 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 09:39 AM
$tromtrooper

I have the Rox 2" but not 45 degrees back...maybe more like 30-ish degrees. Like Flynn I re-routed all the oem cables and it all fits fine without much play left. Oh, and my front end is not dropped, but the opposite, with the caps even with the tubes. I have read where identical bikes have different issues, so you might just get lucky. The Rox are not a huge investment, so worth a try & I bought the 2" brake line extension, but never installed it... if you are interested in it PM me.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

As far as the amount of free play in the cables/wiring/brake lines......people have different standards as to what is a sufficient amount of slack. Some riders are comfortable with "just enough" free play and some need an extra margin of free play to feel safe.

'01 SV650N
post #9 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynlcut View Post
I'm assuming when your risers are pivoted 45degrees back you have 1.5 inches up and back? Is this setting achievable with the Rox and stock cables and hoses?
No I don't think I was able to get tilt the risers more than 20 or so degrees.
The other factor is how you rotate the bars in the risers.

Just raising the bars moves the grips back some as well.

Oh I forgot, I also moved the master cylinder in a 1/2" or so on the handle bar. Clutch and brake housings are also rotated forward so the levers positioned more for standing. This all adds a little more slack

Now that I think about it, I planned to get cable/brake extensions and move the bars further back, but I got carried away with riding the bike and forgot. Now I'm use to it and it doesnt bother me enough to warrant a high position on list of purchases.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I have the Rox 2" but not 45 degrees back...maybe more like 30-ish degrees. Like Flynn I re-routed all the oem cables and it all fits fine without much play left. Oh, and my front end is not dropped, but the opposite, with the caps even with the tubes. I have read where identical bikes have different issues, so you might just get lucky. The Rox are not a huge investment, so worth a try & I bought the 2" brake line extension, but never installed it... if you are interested in it PM me.
May be worth noting that dropping or rising fork tubes through triple clamp makes no difference for cable slack. All cables go the engine or to the triple clamp itself (brake line) so front fork and suspension is not a consideration as far as the riser is concerned. Only check needed for slack is to go full left and right with the handlebar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode