'18 XT Fork Brace Question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

'18 XT Fork Brace Question

Recently bought a used XT and the PO gave me a fork brace (no clue what brand) that was uninstalled. Figured it was simply a matter of "didn't get around to it" but when I went to put it on, there was no way it was gonna fit. I've got one on my '09 so I'm definitely convinced I'd like to install a brace. So, looking at the front fender on the XT, it appears as if the fender has two mounting points--high clearance and regular--and it's the molded fender bosses that are obstructing the brace fitment. If I moved the fender to mount in the upper holes, meaning the fender would be in the "regular" height and not in the high clearance height, it's possible the brace might fit. Is it possible to mount a brace to the new XTs? Is there a brace that's specifically made for this model?

Thx--Bubba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-29-2019, 07:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Recently bought a used XT and the PO gave me a fork brace (no clue what brand) that was uninstalled. Figured it was simply a matter of "didn't get around to it" but when I went to put it on, there was no way it was gonna fit. I've got one on my '09 so I'm definitely convinced I'd like to install a brace. So, looking at the front fender on the XT, it appears as if the fender has two mounting points--high clearance and regular--and it's the molded fender bosses that are obstructing the brace fitment. If I moved the fender to mount in the upper holes, meaning the fender would be in the "regular" height and not in the high clearance height, it's possible the brace might fit. Is it possible to mount a brace to the new XTs? Is there a brace that's specifically made for this model?

Thx--Bubba
Check out Adventuretech

2018 DL650AXT Mods
Corbin Seat
Garmin Zumo 396LMTS GPS
Cardo Bold JBL Comm.
SW Motech Crash Bars
Denali DR-1 Led Lights
IMS Adventure 1 Pegs
SW Motech EVO Tank Bags Micro, Engage
GIVI V47 Top Case
GIVI Skid Plate
OEM Center Stand
Zeta offset Risers
MZS Levers
Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders, Kick Stand Plate and Peg Lowering Kit
Helmet Guardian
Fenda Extenda
National Cycle V-Stream 19 inch Shield
ZETA Armor Hand guards
post #3 of 12 Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 AM
$tromtrooper

Post a pic of the brace. I have an old style brace and after raising my fender had to flip the brace around facing the other way to make it fit. The new brace that Adventuretech makes is a different design and should fit with a raised fender.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"

post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Post a pic of the brace. I have an old style brace and after raising my fender had to flip the brace around facing the other way to make it fit. The new brace that Adventuretech makes is a different design and should fit with a raised fender.
OK. Finally getting back around to this thread. I did contact the PO and he stated the brace was from AdventureTech. I'm guessing the fender on the XT has two mounting points on the fender bosses--one for normal clearance and one for mud clearance riding off-road. I ran into this exact problem with my '09 Wee riding in sloppy, muddy conditions on a road that had been half dressed with crushed limestone. Wore right thru the plastic!

I'm guessing if I move the fender to the upper holes on the fender bosses, I'll have enough space for the brace, but obviously lose clearance between the fender and tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02946[1].jpg (81.2 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02945.jpg (675.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02948.jpg (468.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by badjuju; 04-01-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Here's what I want to avoid!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02949a.jpg (338.8 KB, 30 views)
post #6 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 09:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Ok, there is a raised portion of the fender, right in the middle that prevents the fender from it's max height(hits the brace). I took a heat gun to my fender, then pressed the brace into the soft plastic making a dimple/pocket there so it all fits together with no issues. I have a 2015, you results might vary.

'15 DL650XT
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2018 650XT. I bought the ADVTech brace, and the ADV tech fender raiser. I had to cut a slot in the fender to be able to fit the brace. It looks fine and no one would probably notice unless I pointed it out to them.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 08:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingVetteStrom View Post
I have a 2018 650XT. I bought the ADVTech brace, and the ADV tech fender raiser. I had to cut a slot in the fender to be able to fit the brace. It looks fine and no one would probably notice unless I pointed it out to them.
Did you install these at the same time? I've got a 2017 XT which I assume would have the same issue. I'd very much like to avoid hacking into my fender haha.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 09:39 PM
$tromtrooper

You don't have to 'hack' it.....you just need to persuade and massage it a little...lol. Here is my old thread on it even though year model is different you might be able to do the same thing:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom...questions.html

If the 17/18/19 fender can be modded the same that info would be invaluable for those that follow.

'15 DL650XT
post #10 of 12 Old 04-09-2019, 08:43 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Installed one on my 17 XT. No mods required. Nothing even close to interfering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5150.jpg (276.2 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode