Foot shift lever linkage - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

4Likes
  • 2 Post By Brockie
  • 1 Post By TheSexyMedic
  • 1 Post By RestoRider2017

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-26-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Foot shift lever linkage

Hey there!

Just got my 2018 DL650 about a month ago (upgrade from my first bike ever, a Honda Rebel 250). I love this thing, but I have found 1 issue that is bugging.

The foot shift lever is a little high, making it difficult to downshift without lifting my foot off the rest. With my boots on, its hard to lift the toes enough for the shifter to register the release before the next down shift. I was looking at the lever to see if there's an adjustment and it looks like there is some linkage with a turn knob in the middle. Almost like it is meant to be adjustable. However, linkage usually has an extra nut at each end for tightening the linkage in place once adjusted. I could not see the ends very well due to rubber boots on the ends, so I don't know if this linkage is adjustable.

No one online is mentioning the linkage. They all seem to think I should pull the lever and change its angle, but then mention that I loose the correct angle of the shifting rod (which is where the linkage appears to be). I'm hoping someone here knows a little more about it.

Thanks,

SlowTorque
2018 DL650

There's never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The key is to do as much as you can in the time that you are given. Remember, life is short, and suddenly you're not there anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The shifter can be adjusted by an opposing thread adjuster for small adjustments, and by changing splines on the Gear Shift Link arm for greater changes.

I have attached a drawing of the gearshift. Note that it is for an older model DL650 but to my knowledge it has remained unchanged forever.

The adjuster is part #29 and is held in place by nuts #34 and #37.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DL650 shifter.JPG (144.0 KB, 22 views)
richlandrick and Jeepster09 like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #3 of 9 Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I've adjusted my shifter multiple times, and while it does lack the additional "locking nut" that you refer to, the design of it prevents any changes once everything is back together. You need to remove bolt #36 and then the whole assembly can be rotated to facilitate shortening/lengthening (ultimately raising or lowering your lever)
richlandrick likes this.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-27-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I think I only need to raise the lever pedal about 1/2". I'll have to play with the assembly to see which will get me that easier. Brockie, thanks for the drawing! Now that I see the drawing, adjusting the lever pedal by adjusting the link arm position should not have a negative impact on the components.

Thanks!

SlowTorque
2018 DL650

There's never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The key is to do as much as you can in the time that you are given. Remember, life is short, and suddenly you're not there anymore.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-28-2019, 07:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
Take the bolt out of the splined shaft exiting the case pull the inner lever off and reposition on the splines
and reinstall bolt. Takes no more than 5 minutes 2 do.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 side bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED driving lights ,
Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system cooking in the oven.

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
not to be confused with actual motorcycle knowledge"
post #6 of 9 Old 03-28-2019, 08:15 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

SlowTorque,

You mean lower the shifter right? Originally you said it was too high.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 AM
$tromtrooper

And remember, one of those nuts(34/37) has reverse threads, so don't go all Silverback on them.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 9 Old 03-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
#34 is shown as LH on the end of the discription. Which means left hand thread. So on the adjuster the nut thats lower to the ground
is the LH thread end the upper nut is Standard thread.

So upper nut = righty tighty -lefty loosy / lower nut = lefty tighty - righty loosy
Motor7 likes this.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 side bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED driving lights ,
Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system cooking in the oven.

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
not to be confused with actual motorcycle knowledge"

Last edited by RestoRider2017; 03-31-2019 at 09:50 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

There is a thread on this subject. Some have repeated their advice here, but you may find other useful info in the older thread as well.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/mainten...-higher-4.html

Damon
2017 DL 650 and maybe another Vespa?

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
Now that summer is here, I'm retiring so I can ride full time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode