Front fork by Racetech too expensive ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-18-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Front fork by Racetech too expensive ?

I got a quote for a front fork rebuilt, adding emulator etc etc. I find it a bit expensive for such job. It came out to be $1,500 parts and labor. Is this normal price for such job ? Can you think of a more accessible way ?

See pics for the quote with all the items included.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 5.44.44 PM.jpg (241.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 5.44.56 PM.jpg (234.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Racetech is overhyped and over priced IMHO, you can get a set of drop in "top of the line" Traxxion Dynamics cartridges for the same as that, and be able to "easily" take them out and put into another bike if you so desire.
cyclopathic likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Choices, choices- Emulators or Intiminators?

I used the Intiminators on my 650.
Very noticeable improvement especially with the brake dive.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

post #4 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Racetech is overhyped and over priced IMHO, you can get a set of drop in "top of the line" Traxxion Dynamics cartridges for the same as that, and be able to "easily" take them out and put into another bike if you so desire.
Thats a good point. Do you know if what they have on their website fits 2018 model ? There is no option for that. Also, how difficult it is to replace it myself taking into consideration my mechanic skill level being, lets say, oil changes and replacing bulbs type of skill level.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post

I used the Intiminators on my 650.
Very noticeable improvement especially with the brake dive.
Thats good info. Their shop is actually not too far from my place. Did you do them yourself or had someone do it? How difficult it is ?

Thank you
post #6 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

It appears to me that this quote is for a complete fork rebuild and a complete rear shock rebuild for a bike that is dropped off at their shop. I doubt that a 2018 is in need of a complete front fork rebuild. I have found Racetech's prices for component parts such as bushings and seals to be higher than OEM parts. If you want a more realistic cost for putting in emulators I suggest just pricing the emulators and maybe springs if needed and do the work yourself. If you do not feel comfortable with the job you could do it with the help of a friend, these are simple forks but the Racetech emulators do require drilling holes in the fork tubes which requires complete disassembly of the forks. Intiminators do not require the fork tube drilling. I put Intiminators and springs from a 2004 Goldwing in my Gen 1 which worked well for my weight. I recently bought a new 2018 and I don't feel the need yet to do anything to the front forks as they seem much better than my Gen 1 Wee.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pliniovv View Post
Thats good info. Their shop is actually not too far from my place. Did you do them yourself or had someone do it? How difficult it is ?

The forks need to be taken off the bike. That's the worst part of it.

The cartridges just drop in under the springs. The fork oil needs to be replaced.

One of the reasons I went with the Intiminators vs. the emulators is that the emulators require drilling out the holes in the damper rods. More involved disassembly of the forks and really need a drill press to enlarge the holes, well to do it right anyway.

That thread I linked talks about modifying the Intiminators. I didn't modify mine just dropped them in and they were fine for me. I was in the right weight range for the stock shim stack and fork spring. I believe that they will modify the stack if you are outside the range and recommend the right spring rate.
pliniovv likes this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 AM
KSM
Stromthusiast!

I ordered the spring and emulator kit from Daugherty Motorsports when he rebuilt my rear shock. Cost for parts was around $200 plus fork oil. I installed myself which took part of a weekend and the use of a friend's drill press. Huge improvement to my bike. 2012 DL650A

2012 DL650A (purchased Dec 2017)
2005 DRZ400S (sold Dec 2017)
1972 Norton Commando (sold 1984)
1978 Suzuki DR370 (sold 1982)
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Gold valves are also an option. Build them to suite your weight and riding style.

I had gold valves in the 2 wheeled DR650 and Ricor Intiminators in the DR650 sidecar rig. Coupled with proper springs they are a dramatic difference over stock. All for about $250 to $300 in parts and and afternoon you'll be all set.

Not sure where you are located but if your close. Buy the parts drop them and the bike off and come back later in the day slap $200 into my hand and enjoy your reworked forks.
Spec and pliniovv like this.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Gold valves are also an option. Build them to suite your weight and riding style.

I had gold valves in the 2 wheeled DR650 and Ricor Intiminators in the DR650 sidecar rig. Coupled with proper springs they are a dramatic difference over stock. All for about $250 to $300 in parts and and afternoon you'll be all set.

Not sure where you are located but if your close. Buy the parts drop them and the bike off and come back later in the day slap $200 into my hand and enjoy your reworked forks.
PMed you. I am in Diamond Bar, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode