Oops, I did it again! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Oops, I did it again!

Not a new guy here--been a member since 2010ish when I bought my used '09 Wee. 50K miles later, it is still THE go-to bike in my garage, whether I'm heading out for a day ride of blasting the back roads around the house or packing for a 5-21 day trip to TN/NC/GA mtns or out west to CO. Still brings a smile to my face everytime I throw a leg over it....but time races on and the winds of change are blowing.

Picking up a used '18 Wee XT this week. Haven't seen it "in person" yet but looks pretty nice from the pics. PO put a nice bash plate and engine guards on, some soft luggage and Shinko 804/805s. Which brings me to the questions that have prolly been asked/answered on this forum....but I'm a lazy bastard. So questions: 1) Has Suzuki "fixed" the headlight issue or should I plan on getting the EB relays for the lights? 2) Are the F/R suspension components similar to the Gen2 Wee, or are they (hopefully) 8-9 years better technology? 3) Is it still advisable to drop the forks 10-15 mm to eliminate head shake and increase stability at speed?

For reference, I installed the RT springs and Gold valves in the '09 forks and a DL1K rear shock for increased spring weight and 1/2" additional height. I'm still 210+ with gear and the Gen2 was too lightly sprung, so I'm presuming the new one is as well....unless the XT came with stiffer OEM suspension.

Thanks for the advice!

Bubba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52135170_2053524308067008_5425721280391282688_n.jpg (122.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 52360956_2053524701400302_119152193906409472_n.jpg (117.6 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 PM
$tromtrooper

Driving a 2017 V-Strom 650 stock;

1) Has Suzuki "fixed" the headlight issue or should I plan on getting the EB relays for the lights?

Don't know what the issue is or was...my headlights are fine

2) Are the F/R suspension components similar to the Gen2 Wee, or are they (hopefully) 8-9 years better technology?

Don't know what the suspension was for Gen2Wee, but my suspension is just fine

3) Is it still advisable to drop the forks 10-15 mm to eliminate head shake and increase stability at speed?

Have no shakes @ speed so no need to drop the forks.

Best thing to do, drive you new bike and see for yourself. Ultimately its only you the driver who can decide what works.

Safe roads ahead, Stefan
post #3 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I canít definitively answer your questions, so Iíll sit idly by as Iím sure there are folks here who can. Iím riding a Ď17 XT, and I love it.

What I want to know is why on earth someone buys a brand new Wee, outfits it with desirable accessories, and then promptly puts it up for sale.

Hi from right across the river, BTW.

-Scott

post #4 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Stefan: Thanks for the advice. I understand that comfortable riding is very much an individual preference.

RE: headlights....Suzuki used to run the wiring shunt thru the start switch on the handlebar. When you push the start button, it interrupts the current to the lights to minimize draw on the battery during starting. This current shunt eventually--time seemed to vary from a few thousand miles to maybe 15-25K miles--fries the contacts in the start switch. EB makes a nice set of relays that carries the headlight current so that only the relay current is shunted thru the switch. Wondered if Suzuki had changed the wire routing in the newer models.

RE: suspension....the K7-K11 Wees were relatively undersprung and under damped. Fine for a 150# rider, but not an old fat guy like me. I'm mainly interested in finding out if the XT model has an upgraded spring rate in the forks and shock, and if they've added any adjustability in the front.

RE: stability....Gen1 Wees were notoriously light in the front end at speeds approaching 95-100+ MPH due to the wind force under the chin fairing. Grey Wolf was nearly "terminated" by a high-speed tank slapper many years ago. The easy fix was to lower the fork tubes in the triple trees by 10-15 mm to lower the bike's attitude. Also helped a bit by making handling a bit more aggressive. Interested to see if Suzuki changed the chassis specs in the latest models.

Last edited by badjuju; 03-04-2019 at 09:11 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Scott: Good question. I don't know the reason, but the PO is selling the bike and all his gear, so maybe he's decided to stop riding.

I didn't ask too many questions....I'm not one to complain about saving a few thousand dollars over new!
ScottKY likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Scott: Good question. I don't know the reason, but the PO is selling the bike and all his gear, so maybe he's decided to stop riding.

I didn't ask too many questions....I'm not one to complain about saving a few thousand dollars over new!
Based on what I hear from folks who had Gen 2ís and ďupgradedĒ to a Gen 3, I think youíll love the bike.

I can definitively tell you that the front shocks are not adjustable.

And I *think* the headlight issue is somewhat mitigated by the Gen 3ís single headlight...not as much current involved, I guess. But donít quote me on that.
badjuju likes this.

-Scott
post #7 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Scott: Just as an FYI, I ride across the river most of the time, since the state of KY seems to view their road system as an asset, vs OH where the state motto is "Pothole? What pothole?"

I'll keep you in the loop when the good riding weather gets here!

Ciao--Bubba
ScottKY likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 09:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by badjuju View Post
Scott: Just as an FYI, I ride across the river most of the time, since the state of KY seems to view their road system as an asset, vs OH where the state motto is "Pothole? What pothole?"

I'll keep you in the loop when the good riding weather gets here!

Ciao--Bubba
Yeah, look me up. Iím always up for a ride, even if itís just a quick run down to Rabbit Hash.

BTW, have you considered coming to the Eastern V-Strom rally?

https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/...y-16-19-a.html

-Scott
post #9 of 18 Old 03-04-2019, 10:11 PM
$tromtrooper

Yes, you need the EB harness/relay

They did not change much on the suspension, so plan on re-build/upgrade( I had Daugherty do both front and rear on my '15....fantastic)

I do not know if the 17+ still gets head shake, but I never have dropped the forks since I want all the travel available.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #10 of 18 Old 03-09-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
Yes, you need the EB harness/relay

They did not change much on the suspension, so plan on re-build/upgrade( I had Daugherty do both front and rear on my '15....fantastic)

I do not know if the 17+ still gets head shake, but I never have dropped the forks since I want all the travel available.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'll definitely be doing both upgrades in the near future. Guy did throw in a fork brace (uninstalled) so that'll help some.

With respect to the raised forks, it doesn't actually change the travel (that's set by the fork internals) but it does change the ground clearance a 'wee' bit as well as resulting in a minor change to rake/trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode