Monokey topcase with OEAM panniers - OEM rear rack max load - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 Old 03-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrep View Post
Thanks brock29609 for your input.

Click *HERE* to get a good view of internal scale. Same case, just different colors. Some bulky back pads may not squeeze in there.
andrep likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old 03-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

@andrep

Yes, it is bolt # 4 that I am referring to. 25mm length, as you note. It is not long enough to go through and allow for the additional locking nut on the inside, securing the support arm. I found this out myself. I'll check the bold dimensions tonight and get back to you.

The documentation you link to is exactly what I have. It is all in Italian, which I don't mind, but hey, that's just extra study material.

Damon
2012 Yamaha T-Max 530 Scooter, 2017 DL 650

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
'Umbrianissimo'... Kind of like Italian for, 'Umbria to the max'. (Umbria; small landlocked region in central Italy. North of Roma, south of Firenze).
post #23 of 31 Old 03-04-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks guys. So nice of you.
After test driving the bike, I did not imagine spending so much time thinking about luggages, haha.
Harder than choosing a bike.

post #24 of 31 Old 03-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

@andrep
i can confirm that the supplied bolt, #4 on the parts list, is an M6 x 25mm length. I used an M6 bolt of 30 mm length and it works. It goes through the the blind nut, that is on the bike, and then through the support arm and there is adequate length for the locking nut to be attached.

Pic is of Suzuki supplied bolt and nut (in black) on a bolt checker, which confirms it is an M6 bolt. Coarse thread, apparently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0273.jpg (322.4 KB, 8 views)
andrep likes this.

Damon

'Umbrianissimo'... Kind of like Italian for, 'Umbria to the max'. (Umbria; small landlocked region in central Italy. North of Roma, south of Firenze).
post #25 of 31 Old 03-05-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks @Umbrianissimo ,
Was it easy for you to find the exact same bolt but longer? I had a look in some stores near me. Couldn't find similar, with same head shape.
I understand know why my delaer told it was not possible (unless finding walkaround like yours).
post #26 of 31 Old 03-05-2019, 05:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

@andrep

I actually just used hex head machine bolts from Home Depot - so embarrassed. They do not have the allen key/ hex key but a 10 mm socket worked fine. They are silver and not black. I am going to look for some stainless steel bolts and use those when I find them.

Getting the thread pitch correct is important as there is a blind nut in the body that the bolt passes through before it extends out to go through the hole in the SR3112 arm.

5 mm extra was all I needed.

If all else fails, I'll send you some bolts!

Is there anything or any part you want me to take a photo of? No problem at all if it will help you.

Damon

post #27 of 31 Old 03-06-2019, 08:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

There's an ebay seller I've bought from many times, Monster Bolts, that sells lots of metric stainless bolts in small quantities for reasonable prices. All different varieties of heads, pitches and lengths. Black finishes too.
*HERE* they are.
post #28 of 31 Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrianissimo View Post

I actually just used hex head machine bolts from Home Depot - so embarrassed. They do not have the allen key/ hex key but a 10 mm socket worked fine. They are silver and not black. I am going to look for some stainless steel bolts and use those when I find them.

Getting the thread pitch correct is important as there is a blind nut in the body that the bolt passes through before it extends out to go through the hole in the SR3112 arm.

5 mm extra was all I needed.

If all else fails, I'll send you some bolts!

Is there anything or any part you want me to take a photo of? No problem at all if it will help you.
Thanks a lot @brock29609 and @Umbrianissimo for your kind help proposal I did not expect, very generous
I will think about all that. Glad that I asked and guys like you answered so accurately.
post #29 of 31 Old 03-09-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Just to illustrate your sayings @Umbrianissimo

By luck, I found this youtube video (
).
At 5min40s we can see the guy has the OEM side cases racks.
And from 5min24 to 5min40s we can see the the bolt and the nut...

Indeed, it looks like the bolt is not long enough to go fully through the nut.
post #30 of 31 Old 03-09-2019, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

@andrep

Good find! This video is actually very helpful in getting the parts assembled in the correct order. Although, he doesn't seem to swear very much, so I doubt he's doing it correctly.

i'm using a M7M monolock rather than a monokey plate but the SR3112 is the same. This morning I installed the plate, and I had to remove the two upper flat pieces of metal, instal the rack loosely, then re attach it and then tighten things down. It is a bit finicky. But overall, it feels very secure, and I'm sure it adds valuable strength to the rear rack.

edit: Not M7M but M6M plate. Similar to M5M but has a cool place to store a U lock.

Damon

Last edited by Umbrianissimo; 03-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode