Considering 2017 DL650 and would like input - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Considering 2017 DL650 and would like input

Since selling my FJR I've been looking to replace it with a Wee. I have been receiving good input from others on this forum and other forums. I have looked on forums, cycle trader and craigslist to try to get an idea of values. This is the first 2017 I've considered as I have been trying to keep it under $6K. I would like input on this one. It is a 2017 XT. As for farkles, it only has the following: factory side cases, factory center stand, Weld 86 skid plate, AME heated grips and factory service manual. It has factory warranty only until June 4 of this year. It is owned by a 64 year old retired gentleman. It is in mint condition with 1,460 miles. Always stored covered and in a heated garage. He started at $8,000 and said he would accept $7500. Just be my conscience. Note, as I said, I've been targeting to keep it at or under $6k for a used one. I can do $7500. I didn't expect to run into one this new and this unused. Your thoughts? Photos below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

If the newer 650's are as good as the old ones it's great ride. I've got close to 100K miles on my 04 and it has been faultless. Other than tires of which I've worn out several sets.
HokiesRWee likes this.
post #3 of 45 Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

The price seems steep, especially given the season. During the peak summer selling season last year (and when my bike was half a model year newer), I paid $5,400 for my pristine 2017 w/ under 2K miles. A base model with no luggage (a few farkles), but still. +$2K for wire wheels and impractical OEM cases seems high to me.

post #4 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
+$2K for wire wheels and impractical OEM cases seems high to me.
This was my exact red flag. I've never used these specific cases and "impractical" was my first thought. I can get a full set of caribou, with brackets and top case, for under $1500. Spokes? Toss of a coin really; but, I would certainly not pay extra for them.
post #5 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have you called around to local dealers to see if they have any in stock? I paid less than 7500 for a brand new one. It didn't have bags but I wasn't too keen on the OEM bags anyway.

It's still winter - dealers should be making good deals now to unload inventory before spring gets here.
post #6 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
Have you called around to local dealers to see if they have any in stock? I paid less than 7500 for a brand new one. It didn't have bags but I wasn't too keen on the OEM bags anyway.

It's still winter - dealers should be making good deals now to unload inventory before spring gets here.
Yep. Local dealer:
New DL650 (2019) $8800
New DL650 (2016) $7400 (reduced to $7400)
Used DL1000 (2009, naked, with 24K MIles) $6200

Those prior year price slashes you hear about don't really occur here as the market is small and I've had dealers tell me, and rightfully so I suspect, they don't need to because it will eventually sell. I don't think our Montana dealers have enough volume to justify a price break and carrying cost of having 10 bikes delivered and selling them or carrying them over. I believe it is more of: have one in stock and buy as may be needed. It's just a different market in Montana.
post #7 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I can get a full set of caribou, with brackets and top case, for under $1500.
Check out Motostorm.it. You can get a pair of Trekker Dolomiti cases with mounts for $630 (with a €20 coupon code they'll give you for posting any review). This includes US shipping.
post #8 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yes, if you were closer to the East Coast the price would seem high, mainly because there seems to be an infinite supply of significantly reduced brand new white 2017’s here (not the XT model though). I have one of them and got the OEM side cases for free with it. Which I really like by the way, I find them to be roomy and sturdy and I like the narrow profile which you won’t get with aftermarket cases. Anyway, I like the black XT you are looking at and if the owner works with you I would certainly take it over a 2016.
post #9 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 PM
$tromtrooper

I don't see a Weld 86 skid plate on there, just the factory plastic shroud.

Where are you?....West coast brings higher prices than anywhere else I have noticed.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #10 of 45 Old 02-21-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I don't see a Weld 86 skid plate on there, just the factory plastic shroud.

Where are you?....West coast brings higher prices than anywhere else I have noticed.
The skid plate is not mounted yet.
I'm in Billings, MT. You are sort of right, West coast has lower prices than we do. Supply and demand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode