Help, Fuel Injection code and I'm on the road - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-14-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Help, Fuel Injection code and I'm on the road

Oops, correct the title. "Fault Indicator".

On the road finishing up a 6500 mile trip with 560 miles left to go.
Bike threw a FI code with accompanying engine light. Bike still starts and runs fine, but I can't access the odo and trip meters because of the flashing code. Turning bike off then back on doesn't fix it.
Any ideas. Don't have my shop manual with me so can't look it up.
Seems like I remember something about using a paperclip to jumper two of the wires in the code reader port,
but that wouldn't do anything to fix whatever the problem is.
If anyone has any ideas on what this could mean, or could tell me what the shop manual says about it I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray

Last edited by WingVetteStrom; 02-15-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-14-2019, 11:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

If it starts and runs while indicating a code you are in limp-home mode which means whatever is wrong should not hurt the bike. There are a number of sensor failures (e.g. intake air temp, pressure, etc) where the ECU just isolates the sensor and assumes an average value so it runs fine but is not optimal. There are some other failures that can cause damage if you continued to run but the ECU would block the bike from starting to protect the motor from damage. There is a table in the manual that explains this. When you get home you can pull the codes and investigate and repair. Good luck!

NB: FI stands for "fault indicator" not "fuel injection".

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #3 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
If it starts and runs while indicating a code you are in limp-home mode which means whatever is wrong should not hurt the bike. There are a number of sensor failures (e.g. intake air temp, pressure, etc) where the ECU just isolates the sensor and assumes an average value so it runs fine but is not optimal. There are some other failures that can cause damage if you continued to run but the ECU would block the bike from starting to protect the motor from damage. There is a table in the manual that explains this. When you get home you can pull the codes and investigate and repair. Good luck!

NB: FI stands for "fault indicator" not "fuel injection".
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oops, I meant to say Fault Indicator. Really, truly. :-O. LOL!

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT

post #4 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

WVS, under the seat there is a Dealer Mode Connector with a cap on it. Find this connector, it's a 6-pole unit. As you face the open end of the connector with the cap latch on top, use an opened paper clip to jumper the 2 terminals on the right side. Key on, the cluster will display the diagnostic trouble code. Read the code, then report back--I can look uo the code in my Suzuki service manual.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
WVS, under the seat there is a Dealer Mode Connector with a cap on it. Find this connector, it's a 6-pole unit. As you face the open end of the connector with the cap latch on top, use an opened paper clip to jumper the 2 terminals on the right side. Key on, the cluster will display the diagnostic trouble code. Read the code, then report back--I can look uo the code in my Suzuki service manual.
I was afraid of that. Did the above and it read c00. Which I'm guessing means no code. So whatever the problem is is probably intermittent? Figures.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
post #6 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

-c00 is for idle position and no codes.

Now it's gone? Probably due to rain in some connector.

There is a thread on page 2 for FI code problems...

Good luck!

Disconnecting the battery for a minute or so will clear codes too. Unless it's a hard failure.

I have a hard wired switch into the tail section. I can reach back and read it on the fly.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 02-15-2019 at 01:51 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
-c00 is for idle position and no codes.

Now it's gone? Probably due to rain in some connector.

There is a thread on page 2 for FI code problems...

Good luck!

Disconnecting the battery for a minute or so will clear codes too. Unless it's a hard failure.

I have a hard wired switch into the tail section. I can reach back and read it on the fly.
It WAS raining really hard. Page 2 where?

thx

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
post #8 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

This page.

I'll copy the important stuff.

Quote:
User Mode (normal running mode)::| if an FI error occurs you will see the "FI" letters displayed in the odometer readout area. If the FI is alternated every 2 seconds with odometer readout & the Red FI lamp on the dash is on solid, the bike will start and run in fail-safe mode. If the odometer readout is FI & the Red FI light lamp is blinking, the bike will not start.

Dealer Mode::| An FI error will be memorized in the ECU when an error is present. This error will stay in the ECU as long as power is not removed from (battery disconnected or ECU unplugged) the ECU and the error has not been cleared. It should be noted, that if an FI error is intermittent, the error code should be checked before the bike is turned off. Carry a spare key & a jumper so the seat can be removed and Dealer Mode entered while bike is still running. As soon as an error is cleared it is removed from ECU memory. You can run the bike as normal when in dealer mode.:| If you are dealing with an intermittent problem, wire it for dealer mode and ride. The code will show when the FI light is on. If the error clears, so will the code.

Dealer Mode Engine connector is under the left side cover behind the seat latch.:| Remove the connector cover to access the connections.:| It has a 6 pin plug with four wires.:| The White/Red & Black/White wires are the ones you will jumper to enable dealer mode.:| In the 6 pin plug they are the ones on the end.

The Dealer Mode ABS connector is located under the left rear fairing next to the ECU. The smaller one with a soft rubber cover is the dealer mode plug.
You need the SDS fancy stuff to retrieve old codes. $$$

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #9 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
This page.

I'll copy the important stuff.

You need the SDS fancy stuff to retrieve old codes. $$$
That helps, but the engine fault icon was amber, not red.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
post #10 of 20 Old 02-15-2019, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator

I'm working on a harness to read memory codes plus live data stream with my OBDII automotive scanners. It worked great on a '18 Yamaha. Havent gotten back to the Suzuki yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode