Jacket in 2018 OEM panniers? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Jacket in 2018 OEM panniers?

Hello fellow riders,

Planning to buy soon a Vstrom 650, I would like to know whether 2018 model OEM left pannier will fit a (3/4-)jacket with back protector, elbows and shoulders pads.

To be clear, I'm talking about the black plastic OEM pannier (not the aluminium SW motech Suzuki rebranded).

If answer is yes, could you please provide your jacket size and model?

My point is beeing able to store "securely" helmet and jacket (Rev it excelibur or Sand 2 for instance). It will help me deciding between small or big topcase (to store both).

Thanks a lot for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
One data point, but I cannot stuff my jacket in the side case. I have a 2xl or XL (can't remember). A summer jacket may work. The cases are pretty small compared to an aluminum box. But they are streamlined.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
andrep likes this.

Current Bikes: 2014 Suzuki DL1000 Adventure, 2003 Suzuki DRZ-400S, 2007 Suzuki DRZ-400S, Yamaha TTR-125 (small wheel), 1971 Honda Trail 70
post #3 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks billwil for your feedback.

post #4 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

@andrep

I have the OEM cases, and I wear a BMW Airshell jacket, size 56 (euro, no doubt) but lets call it a large. I'm not sure what a 3/4 jacket is, but possibly smaller than the typical 'touring' jacket?

My jacket will not fit, but that appears to be due to the size of the back protection pad. It is D30 so not really good for folding in half. The second pic shows the jacket over/ adjacent to the left OEM case, with the jacket fabric folded to show the edges and outline of the back pad. It is close, and could possibly work, but for this back pad, which is pretty long, I'd say it does not fit.

I think that is it s matter of the flexibility of the back pad as well as it's size. Still, I like the slimness of the OEM cases and I would always have a 46 l box on the back and the jacket will fit that box. There is always a compromise with these things. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0184.jpg (422.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0185.jpg (349.5 KB, 8 views)
andrep likes this.

Damon
2017 DL 650 and maybe another Vespa?

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
Now that summer is here, I'm retiring so I can ride full time.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Those OEM cases are so inefficiently shape for packing I'd strongly suggest you buy a bike without them or sell them immediately while new, and pick up some nice top-loading cases off Motostorm.it.
andrep likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@brock29609
Good point. Indeed, I have thought about the trekker outback 37L for that purpose. However, after looking at photos and videos, I have doubts for pillion legs room.
Because of rear foot rests location (they stick out a bit compared to rider's) and sides cases height I'm afraid that pillion thights and knees would be kept inward while feet have to reach foot rests (more outward). It seems an awkward leg position. But I may be wrong....

[email protected]
That is very kind to have taken these pictures. Your explanarion is very clear. Thanks a lot

Overall I have read some threads about luggages (for any motorcycle brand) and it is always about compromises between different uses cases.

This is my first thread on this forum and it is a pleasure to seethis helpful state of mind. Thanks again
post #7 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@Umbrianissimo
Yes 3/4 means in France longer... so touring in our context.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Those OEM cases are so inefficiently shape for packing I'd strongly suggest you buy a bike without them or sell them immediately while new, and pick up some nice top-loading cases off Motostorm.it.

I'd also like to give Motostorm.it a thumbs up. Placed my first order with them last fall, and love the stuff I got (and the prices I paid). No shipping issues whatsoever from Italy to Pennsylvania, USA.

2017 DL650 (white)
post #9 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 04:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrep View Post
Hello fellow riders,

Planning to buy soon a Vstrom 650, I would like to know whether 2018 model OEM left pannier will fit a (3/4-)jacket with back protector, elbows and shoulders pads.

To be clear, I'm talking about the black plastic OEM pannier (not the aluminium SW motech Suzuki rebranded).

If answer is yes, could you please provide your jacket size and model?

My point is beeing able to store "securely" helmet and jacket (Rev it excelibur or Sand 2 for instance). It will help me deciding between small or big topcase (to store both).

Thanks a lot for your help!
Hello Andrep,

To help give you an idea of what might fit in what size top case, I have a 48L rectangular aluminum top case, model Kappa kve48a

My helmet is an XS Arai Vector 2. My jacket is the Icon Womens Raiden DKR Jacket, size L. I have never before tried to fit my jacket AND my helmet in the top case before, but did now. Please keep in mind, this is with one of the smallest full-face helmets, as it's an XS. But the jacket is bulky and has D30 in back, elbows, and shoulders (love that jacket! But that's for another post.)

First I put just the helmet in (note the tape measure in the background, to give you an idea of interior measurements. Interior length is @ 17 inches). Then, to try and fit both jacket and helmet, I put the jacket in first, unzipped, so the front of the jacket was facing up. I squished the sleeves and the "chest area" of the jacket to the sides of the box. Then I placed the helmet right on top of the inside of the jacket, and arranged the jacket sleeves/chest area around the helmet. It barely fit, and yes, I was able to (barely) close the lid.

Before I got my top box, I was worried it would look big on my DL650, but it does not at all. The 650 is a big bike (for me, at least). But if you want to fit both in a top box, this one is a tight squeeze. Perhaps a different shape top box would be different? That, or a bigger box if you want the aluminum ones. I thought the 58L was too big for me, but several people who do have that biggest size say it looks fine on their bike.

Hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.43.13 PM.png (1.07 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.43.33 PM.jpg (363.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 4.44.02 PM.jpg (291.1 KB, 8 views)
andrep likes this.

2017 DL650 (white)
post #10 of 19 Old 02-06-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hello @America First

Happy that thank to my question let you realize your top case can take your XS helmet and jacket, haha.

Thank you so much for these photos and post: very instructive!

With all your posts, I start to lean towards the trekker 52l top case. I really appreciate all of your contributions and specially state of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode