• 2 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 1 Post By PerazziMx14
  • 1 Post By jaybird26

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

header wrap

Just wondering if anyone on here has put header wrap on the factory exhaust and if it will destroy the exhaust? I got a roll for free just thought it would do good at bouncing rocks off and stuff....any use this? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

There is probably a reason the bike didn't come with them. It looks neat and racey but I've read that it can turn the pipes funky when you remove it.
I don't think a bit of cloth is going to keep rocks from denting the pipes if you operate in the rough stuff.
MrF and jaybird26 like this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

And how do you clean it if it got really muddy? Not that I wash my bike a lot but if it's muddy it needs a rinse.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 9 Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 PM
MrF
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I would expect it to destroy the header over time. You might get lucky, but if you ever put the bike away with the exhaust wrap even a little wet you'll have a rusty disaster slowly start to develop underneath.

I don't believe there is any real benefit to it other than the cosmetic change. There are heated (ha!) arguments as to whether or not keeping the headers hotter by wrapping them helps with scavenging. I don't believe that it does. If there were a performance benefit then MotoGP, flat trackers, and motocross riders would all be wrapping their headers. NASCAR did it (I think they use a coating nowadays), but that's to keep the under-hood temps lower which we don't have to worry about on a bike.

It's your bike to do what you want with, but a skid plate is a less destructive option to protect your header from rocks.
jaybird26 likes this.

2016 V-Strom 650
post #5 of 9 Old 01-19-2019, 11:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

If you put header wrap on your street bike you'll have to start wearing skinny jeans to round out the metrosexual hipster look.

Header wrap has its place in certain race application. On a street bike it makes you look like a tool.
Big B and notacop like this.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2019, 01:25 AM
Stromthusiast!

I once posed the same question for my 1000 and was about laughed off the forum. I thought and still think that it could cut down on the heat from the header onto the oil cooler. I got a roll of stuff and kept forgetting about it every time I had the lower (aftermarket) fairings off. Finally gave it to my son for his bike. (burn hazard on his old bike)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2019, 07:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

It always funny to see how proud folks are of header wrap and then you point out the wrapped it the wrong way. 99% of the CB350 café poser crowd starts at the exhaust flange and follows the flow of the exhaust which created ridges on the front face of the tape.

Exhaust tape is to be applied starting at the rear and working forward. Think of fish scales if you rub in the direction of the scale its much smoother if you go against the scales it much rougher.
bobbyvstrom likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-20-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for your comments everyone i didn't overly care about the performance aspect it probably would do more damage then help it my friend gave me a roll and was debating using it i think i will pass.
notacop likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2019, 02:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Offer up the roll of race tape in the for sale section, once you have enough posts, and see what happens. We promise to say nothing unless asked......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode