The Strom can Hang with the Big Boys.. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

22Likes
  • 14 Post By Jarvis
  • 1 Post By Big B
  • 1 Post By scab
  • 1 Post By Jarvis
  • 2 Post By Fynlcut
  • 3 Post By scab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
The Strom can Hang with the Big Boys..

So I finally got around to doing some riding with some friends a couple of weeks ago. Two of my friends are riding brand new KTM 1090s with TKC80 tires and we met up and headed out to Heflin, AL to meet two other friends who were on Tiger 800 XCs. At this point I realized that this would likely be an interesting day since I was on my 18 DL650XT with stock tires.

So we departed Heflin and rode to Cheaha where we eventually got on to Trail 600-1 and 600-2. I am happy to report I could hang with the Big Boys on the mighty Strom. At one point I was actually leading - well they stopped for a smoke break and I kept going.

I will have to say that the trail was fairly dry except for a couple of sections of 'grease mud' that I was able to tractor through with the Traction Control at Level 1. They were actually quite shocked that I got through that mess while being on the stock tires... the reality was I had the benefit of riding behind them and figuring out the best line to take based on their exciting adventures in the mud.

A few pics from the ride:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6652.jpg (359.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6653.jpg (360.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6657.jpg (408.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6661.JPG (134.2 KB, 39 views)
Big B, V-Tom, Mingo and 11 others like this.

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice, looks like a fun day.

2003 DL1000
Too much other broken stuff to list
post #3 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Question; aren't you kind of taking chances with the top case being damaged in case of a bike dump resulting from slippery trail riding? Just curious.
good pics!

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
Question; aren't you kind of taking chances with the top case being damaged in case of a bike dump resulting from slippery trail riding? Just curious.
good pics!

Have dumped mine a few times with top case mounted, no issues so far or damage.
notacop likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 10 Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Welcome to the neighborhood. I live at the foot of Cheaha Mountain, Heflin side, in Chulafinee. (halfway between Shinbone & Muscadine) I can be at the store at the top of the mountain in 15 minutes from my house.
Jarvis likes this.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-17-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
good pics!
I had a 2009 DL650 that I put 65,000 miles on and some of those miles probably included trails that the Strom should not have been on.. so yeah I dropped it a lot. It also had a top case on it, if I remember right it was a Givi E52. Never damaged the top case in a drop including one fairly spectacular one. My side cases would likely have been a different story if I had those on at the time.

I believe that every time I dropped the 2009 it was mostly a low speed event (close to a walking pace) and most likely due to bad footing when I went to put a foot down to stop on a trail. Now I am not saying that the case would not get damaged on a drop since I can think of a couple of instances where if the back end of the bike hit a rock or a tree it is likely the case could get damaged. But for the most part the brunt of the falls were taken on the crash bars or hand guards (which I need to upgrade on my XT).

I have some dry bags that probably would have been a safer bet for the ride but originally I was fairly certain we weren't going to hit anything too knarly and my backup plan was to just turn around if things start to get too much for me (one of the benefits of being old is you really don't get too caught up in that Machismo thing). However, since I was the only one with a GPS that had the tracks for the local trails I am not sure if that would have been a popular decision with the other riders... but then again they should have loaded the tracks on their GPS units or phones.. LOL
Lrobby99 likes this.

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scab View Post
Welcome to the neighborhood. I live at the foot of Cheaha Mountain, Heflin side, in Chulafinee. (halfway between Shinbone & Muscadine) I can be at the store at the top of the mountain in 15 minutes from my house.
Beautiful area!

I have been thinking about moving that way once I decide to retire. Nice area and friendly people.

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
post #8 of 10 Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Nice! I hear the yellow ones just go and go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VS Train.jpg (795.5 KB, 30 views)
Big B and Jarvis like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Beautiful area!

I have been thinking about moving that way once I decide to retire. Nice area and friendly people.

I can think of no better place. Folks are nice, mind there business, lend a hand when needed, and we still have some personal freedoms! Beer fridges outside and firepits welcome! Oh, and our property taxes are low!
Big B, Jarvis and Nicad like this.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scab View Post
I can think of no better place. Folks are nice, mind there business, lend a hand when needed, and we still have some personal freedoms! Beer fridges outside and firepits welcome! Oh, and our property taxes are low!
Now that is what I am talking about!

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode