2017 650 skid plate question (and crash bars) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2017 650 skid plate question (and crash bars)

Hi All,

Sorry to start another thread on this well-covered topic but I have a question that I haven't found an answer to. I'll be picking up my new 2017 wee in the next 10 days or so, and will do a centre stand first. Leaning at the moment to the Suz OEM stand. However, I'm also tempted by the Outback Motortek package of centre stand, crash bars and skid plate.

Question here: Is there any advice about which skid plate gives the best dirt and rock protection? I'm looking at a skid plate primairly to keep the dirt and rocks off the pipe and cylinder; not so much for off-road bashing. Any time not on pavement I'll be on reasonable dirt and gravel roads, with only tame off-road stuff. Fire or logging roads, and not at bike-crushing speeds.

The OEM plastic thingy would likely do the job for road dirt, but a bit more rock & gravel protection would be good. Plus a plastic decorative guard just seems as useless a fake air scoop on a car.

All advice on this stuff appreciated.

Damon
2017 DL 650 and maybe another Vespa?

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
Now that summer is here, I'm retiring so I can ride full time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Givi crash bars and a Ravetech skid plate but if I had it all to do over again I would go with the Outback setup. I ride the same type of Roads you are talking about and every time I do an oil change there are gouges, scratches and dings all over the skid plate. I imagine many people think that setup is overkill and you never need that much protection for Forest Service Roads. I say it's overkill until you need it, then it's too late. Just one man's opinion.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@BigTK

Thanks for the reply; this is absolutely the kind of info and opinion I am hoping for. I totally get the point that, "I say it's overkill until you need it, then it's too late." Kind of like ocean sailing, where we tend to say that, 'the best is barely good enough'. I'm not getting the XT spoked wheels, but I am intending to go to the end of roads, and then keep going. At least until lunch.

Seriously, thanks for the reply.

Damon

post #4 of 23 Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd also consider the Plastic Hyde Racing one. Cheap, light and tight fitting to the cases. I read quite a few testimonials from other forum members when I was in your position just a few months ago.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
post #5 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

I can't offer any advice towards which is best for protection for off road use but I installed the SW Motech skid plate and crash bars on my bike. I also got their centre stand for xmas so that will go on in the spring. I got the skid plate for general protection, I was afraid some road debris could rip off the oil filter and leave me stranded. I bought my bike new last fall so I've only put 280km on it before winter arrived.

I will say that when you go to install the skid plate, if you have to remove some of the bolts on the left side of the bike for the kick stand, they are on there with the equivalent of red loctite. Get yourself a small propane torch from CND Tire and heat the bolts up. Make life much easier as it awkward to do by yourself.

2017 DL650
post #6 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@Nicad and @WYJGUY,
Thanks both for the comments and info; much appreciated. General protection is what I'm after, and so it seems that I have some good options.

I just checked on the OEM centre stand. It is expensive at $378 cdn. plus tax, compared to about $250 cdn. plus tax for the Outback. The SW is midrange at $321.00 cdn. Not sure why skid pans would be more than centre stands, but just a curious thing to me.

Damon

post #7 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I have the outback motortek bars and bash plate on the 2017 650. The bars are much beefier than the Givi or the motech bars. The plate is pretty thick and mounts to the frame and bars rather than the engine casing like the Givi unit does. I’d consider the outback stuff competition grade protection. I have an el cheapo Ebay center stand and it does the job. I’ve been meaning to post a YouTube vid about the bars, just need to get off my butt and do it. I’ll post a link when it’s up
post #8 of 23 Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrianissimo View Post
@Nicad and @WYJGUY,
Thanks both for the comments and info; much appreciated. General protection is what I'm after, and so it seems that I have some good options.

I just checked on the OEM centre stand. It is expensive at $378 cdn. plus tax, compared to about $250 cdn. plus tax for the Outback. The SW is midrange at $321.00 cdn. Not sure why skid pans would be more than centre stands, but just a curious thing to me.
I bought my Suzuki centre stand in the US rather than Canada (from Toronto) at Babbits online. Was cheaper than in Canada.
Was $223. I had it shipped to Buffalo with a bunch of other parts I couldn't get here for a reasonable price. Fortnine is generally good on pricing but I doubt they have a stand.
https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...nter-stand-set

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
post #9 of 23 Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've installed T-Rex racing crash bars and skid plate. Price was great. Enjoying the Max Max look. Time will tell on their utility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (525.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (491.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (458.2 KB, 21 views)
post #10 of 23 Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks good Gorn! I like the cases too.

2017 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode