Luggage tie-down options - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 12-28-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Luggage tie-down options

I am looking for suggestions to add secure tie-down points to my 2017 DL650 in the area of the rear seat and luggage rack. Towards the front seat there are a number of options such as the passenger foot peg supports, but towards the rear of the bike choices are more questionable. The plastic luggage rack with its weird shape and holes spaced too far from the edge just doesn't work reliably with regular bungee cord hooks. I had some pop loose on occasion. I have the OEM side bags which eliminates adding hooks to the support screws there, because otherwise such additional hardware interferes with the bags coming on or off - I tried.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
ROK straps, I use them everywhere all over my pannier racks and foot peg mounts........fabulous invention they are.
V-Tom, drrod, Spec and 3 others like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 37 Old 12-28-2018, 11:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
+1 on the Rok straps. They are excellent. You can use regular bungees if you connect them to the pannier racks. Go to my garage for a picture or two.
V-Tom, Chipwidget and Hogges like this.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27

post #4 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 12:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I agree that the standard pegs cast into the carrier can be problematic. I do not use conventional occy straps.
Instead I buy a slightly lighter shock cord from the marine supply store or a hardware store.

I cut it into varying longer lengths that I guess will be about right and use a reef knot to make a non-slip loop at each end. Most often I tend to start by feeding the cord through its end loop at the grab handle so that it can never slip off. I then go to and fro across the luggage, keeping the tension on the cord. I use the carrier pegs, the rear footrests and the grab rails. The carrier pegs are O.K. if you wrap the cord fully 360 degrees around that part of the carrier before going back across your bag or whatever.

If the strap is too long I just tie another loop at the desired place. Better still, there is no chance of those metal hooks scratching the paint. So long as both ends are secure, and the cord is under tension, your luggage will not come off.
strominateacup and Hogges like this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
I agree that the standard pegs cast into the carrier can be problematic. I do not use conventional occy straps.
Instead I buy a slightly lighter shock cord from the marine supply store or a hardware store.

I cut it into varying longer lengths that I guess will be about right and use a reef knot to make a non-slip loop at each end. Most often I tend to start by feeding the cord through its end loop at the grab handle so that it can never slip off. I then go to and fro across the luggage, keeping the tension on the cord. I use the carrier pegs, the rear footrests and the grab rails. The carrier pegs are O.K. if you wrap the cord fully 360 degrees around that part of the carrier before going back across your bag or whatever.

If the strap is too long I just tie another loop at the desired place. Better still, there is no chance of those metal hooks scratching the paint. So long as both ends are secure, and the cord is under tension, your luggage will not come off.
Hi Brockie. Thanks. So you got a loop on both ends instead of any metal hooks. The first part I understand, you feed the “long end” around whatever object such as the grab rails and through the loop of the short end. But how do you tie the other end when done securing everything?
post #6 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Stromthusiast!

Why not bolt some footman loops to the underside of the rear rack in location that will work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th41ICXBQI.jpg (14.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: png untitled.png (37.1 KB, 119 views)
notacop and Hogges like this.
post #7 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Why not bolt some footman loops to the underside of the rear rack in location that will work?
I was just googling for these! Did not know what they are called though. I will definitely get a pair of the ROK straps also (somehow never heard of them in 20 years of motorcycling) but the metal loops would come in handy for my luggage net which is just too useful for large or odd-shaped items.
post #8 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Where did you find the item in the second picture? The flat ones would probably not work with most bungee hooks.
post #9 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 01:40 PM
shu
Stromthusiast!

Rok straps- do yourself a big favor. You won't need to add any tie down points. Just loop them around the rack and passenger grab bars.

............shu
Big B and V-Tom like this.
post #10 of 37 Old 12-29-2018, 01:44 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogges View Post
I was just googling for these! Did not know what they are called though. I will definitely get a pair of the ROK straps also (somehow never heard of them in 20 years of motorcycling) but the metal loops would come in handy for my luggage net which is just too useful for large or odd-shaped items.

I am pretty confident, that once you get a pair of ROK straps, you will quickly see that no other mods or mounting points are needed on the bike.
V-Tom, MontanaGuy and Chipwidget like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode