• 1 Post By ddphillips
  • 1 Post By ddphillips
  • 1 Post By ddphillips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-23-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2017 xt 2012 frame/exhaust swap

Hi,
So I had a 2012 orange 650, had done 60k kms, really happy with it but wanted the gold spoked wheels, they look nice, looked at buying the parts to build the wheels but very pricey, about $3500AUD plus building them.
Then a damaged 2017xt came up for sale, a stat write off, so parts only, whole bike virtually brand new for half the cost of the spoked wheel parts/build . Bent forks, bent frame, broken headlight, no mudguard, missing LHS tank cover, but 6 weeks old and 3000kms, 2 keys and owners manual. Took a chance on the front wheel being OK and apart from two slightly loose spokes, all good.
What to do, tossed a few ideas around and have ended up dropping the 2012 frame, forks and mudguard onto/into the 2017 bike.
So now the bike is quite unique, it is a 2017 yellow gold xt, with bits from the 2012, a "Barrett" full system high exhaust pipe - dont think this has been done yet. Plus an Ohlins SU216 rear shock, altrider bash plate and engine guards, lowered foot pegs, Barrett rear racks, LED indicators (had to move stock for exhaust) TAG handle bars, barkbuster guards, 1" up and back risers.
Rear suspension raised 30mm and working on extending the fork damper rods to raise front slightly. Also Cogent DDC's and fork brace
It is a leaner legal bike, so power reduced via ECU, which is both good and bad, it will need a re-flash. But "Woolich" racing in QLD have just released the BIN files for the 2017, so early next year it will get dynoed and tuned for the open exhaust, be interesting to see how this goes.
I'll get some images up and see what you think.
Kankujoe and Ennsync like this.

Darren

2017xt 650 vstrom, yellow.
Ohlins SU216 rear shock, .85 fork springs, cogent DDC, Barret 3/4 exhaust, 20mm rear raising links, ricks fork brace, oxford heated grips, Radguard, Altrider bash plate & engine bars, Steel pony soft panniers and rack, TAG bars, foot peg lowering brackets, gear lever extension, bar end mirrors.

Last edited by ddphillips; 12-27-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: more accurate title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-23-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Image below, still finishing off the forks, the RHS lower fork leg needs to be swapped as the 2017 ABS sensors are different, luckily the RHS lower was un damaged, LHS had snapped the mudguard mount, so that is scrap metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5125.JPG (104.6 KB, 65 views)
Kankujoe likes this.

Darren

Ohlins SU216 rear shock, .85 fork springs, cogent DDC, Barret 3/4 exhaust, 20mm rear raising links, ricks fork brace, oxford heated grips, Radguard, Altrider bash plate & engine bars, Steel pony soft panniers and rack, TAG bars, foot peg lowering brackets, gear lever extension, bar end mirrors.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-30-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The bike is on the road, first ride today. It has the de-tuned ECU at the moment, so only about 47hp, this is for learners in Aust, this will be corrected with a re-map and dyno - then I'll see what can be achieved with the new motor and an open exhaust.
As i had to swap the lower fork leg, RHS, from the 2012 to 2017 for the different ABS sensor type I thought I would try the stock 2017 fork springs, changing from my 0.85 straight rate springs.
I changed the spring spacer length as using cogent DDC's and 2012 pre-load adjusters staying with the stock pre-load, put some new 5wt oil in, 140mm air gap, put all back together with the fork brace and the ride is impressive. The harshness I had with the 0.85 springs on small fast bumps has gone (i weigh 84kgs without gear) its plush but still controlled when pushed through corners, no excessive brake dive, its very nice.
I am in the process of lengthening the spare damper rods for 190mm travel and use the stock 2017 springs, but how it is at the moment, I may not bother.
Kankujoe likes this.

Darren

post #4 of 10 Old 12-30-2018, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Very nice! Wish I could find an Ohlins shock (or similar) off a wrecked bike around here for my '06 Vee. :-)
post #5 of 10 Old 12-30-2018, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Well, the 2012 actually had all of the good bits on it when I bought it used in 2014, so the value of that bike was mostly in the aftermarket parts, hence swapping them onto/into the 2017 being the most effective.

Darren

post #6 of 10 Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Ah, now I understand.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-02-2019, 08:17 PM
Adventure Traveler

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips View Post
The bike is on the road, first ride today. It has the de-tuned ECU at the moment, so only about 47hp, this is for learners in Aust, this will be corrected with a re-map and dyno - then I'll see what can be achieved with the new motor and an open exhaust.
As i had to swap the lower fork leg, RHS, from the 2012 to 2017 for the different ABS sensor type I thought I would try the stock 2017 fork springs, changing from my 0.85 straight rate springs.
I changed the spring spacer length as using cogent DDC's and 2012 pre-load adjusters staying with the stock pre-load, put some new 5wt oil in, 140mm air gap, put all back together with the fork brace and the ride is impressive. The harshness I had with the 0.85 springs on small fast bumps has gone (i weigh 84kgs without gear) its plush but still controlled when pushed through corners, no excessive brake dive, its very nice.
I am in the process of lengthening the spare damper rods for 190mm travel and use the stock 2017 springs, but how it is at the moment, I may not bother.
Great salvage find! What do you expect to have in it when you are finished?

Joe

2012 DL650-ADV (Black), 2013 DL650-EXP (White), 2013 Honda CRF250L, 2008 Yamaha TW200
IBA #55242, SS1000 x2, BB1500, SS2000, 50CC, National Parks Tour x5 w/ Silver & Gold, 4 Corners & Alaska, 48 plus one, Great Lakes.

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-ell-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-05-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

What do I expect to have in it? Do you mean dollars invested? Well, if I can eventually sell the 2012 oem parts and 2017 shock the project will cost 0 - 1k$ over my initial used 2012 purchase price of $6300 in 2014, not including my wrenching time of course, and quite a few hous were spent. But I have a near new strom as I imagined now.
Kankujoe likes this.

Darren

post #9 of 10 Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddphillips View Post
...Rear suspension raised 30mm and working on extending the fork damper rods to raise front slightly.....
How did you do this? Do you have any pictures?
post #10 of 10 Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The rear suspension, shorter link plates. The extended fork damper rods, I had spare damper rods from the damaged bike, so cut these and added 40mm of tube between the compression hole and the rebound hole, welded up, ground down smooth. That's where I'm at, so far, I need extended brake lines before i can install as the stock lines are tight for my bar rises, and won't be long enough for the added fork extension.
I'll need to calculate the length of tube for the right spring pre-load with the extra travel, so the bike won't be 40mm higher, it will probably be 25mm or so, it can just compress a bit more, and extend a bit more, so the stock 2017 fork spring might be good.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode