2018 questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2018 questions

I am considering buying a new 2018 tomorrow, either the base model or the XT. I intend to use this bike for long distance riding and touring without a passenger. I am concerned with alternator output. I want to run auxiliary LED lights in the front and also a Gerbing jacket and gloves. Does this bike have the alternator capacity to handle this extra load?

Do you still need to send power to the headlight through a relay to avoid voltage drop through the dimmer switch? On my earlier Wee there was only 10 volts at the headlight until I used a relay for power and the dimmer switch switched the relay instead driving the headlight directly.

I have heard of alternator failures, is this common?

Sorry for not reading more of the forum but my time is limited tonight and I need to make a decision tomorrow morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Won’t be a problem, didn’t you do that on your 2009? The stator failures appear to be resolved with new design, and sounds to me like you waited too long to post or read the many threads in this section. Why the hurry, surely you aren’t allowing the dealer to play games? There has been so very few complaints with the latest Stroms, I sincerely doubt you’d have buyers remorse. 😉

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My previous Wee, which I think was a 2004, would run a heated vest and gloves but using turn signals or brake light while doing so would be too much load and would show a discharge on an ammeter. Why the hurry? Good question, I think it was because I had just ridden my trade-in bike on a test and decided that I really did not like it and wanted to get rid of it. It has been for sale for 8 months with no interest from any potential buyers which seems to be the norm for any used bike for the last year or two. The dealer offered me more for it than I expected which is my motivation for moving quickly as I am afraid if they check with their other dealership they will be told not to give that much on trade. I did a search in the 2017+ section and did find one alternator thread which gave me concern so that is the reason for the question.

Last edited by jack d; 12-13-2018 at 08:58 AM.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack d View Post
I am concerned with alternator output. I want to run auxiliary LED lights in the front and also a Gerbing jacket and gloves. Does this bike have the alternator capacity to handle this extra load?
In October I was on a chilly trip in the mountains. Did almost 200 miles one day when it didn't get above 44 degrees with a high wind advisory. My hard-wired heated jacket, gloves, LED aux lights (front & rear), GPS & tire pressure monitor ran flawlessly all day and I never got chilly. Bike started like a champ every time.

I do have an LED low beam bulb, so reduced draw there.
Nicad likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 65 Watt jacket, heated socks, grips and LED lights, so hoping it is up to the task. Brock, do you have a link to that LED bulb? How hard was it to install? I had my high beam bulb out last week, but the low beam looks buried.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
post #6 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
Brock, do you have a link to that LED bulb? How hard was it to install?
Mine likely is no longer available since it's a spare from a pair that was bought for a previous bike years ago, but there's nothing special about it. Any of the ones with built-in fans should work. The ones with heat sinks will be too bulky for the cover. Tons to choose from on Amazon.

Edit: You also want one with a built-in ballast if everything is to be stuffed under the dust cover.

It was a challenge to fit. You first have to remove the dash, which isn't a huge deal. To get the bulb and all the wiring under the screw-on dust cover, I had to snip the stock female connector off the bike and replace with slimmer connectors. Then I stuffed the connectors behind the plastic so it wouldn't interfere with air circulation around the fan or the dust cap. With the dust cap on the bulb doesn't seem to be suffering from overheating. Thousands of miles of flawless service.

You'll probably want to get a color-matching parking light LED bulb. The stock one will look yellow next to your new pure white LED headlight. And don't forget to aim the bulb before putting the dash back on.

Here's what I'm using...

Nicad likes this.

Last edited by brock29609; 12-13-2018 at 11:02 AM.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Brock29609, thanks for your reply. Real life experience is exactly what I hoped to hear about.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
You will be fine.

I believe around 2007 they upped the Strom electrical output from 375 to 400W I believe. So the 2004 issue would likely not be an issue on post 2007 vehicles.

I would just do what you are planning on doing and not mess with much else. I have had issues with LED headlight bulbs creating bizarre beam patterns and pretty much blinding you in any amount of fog so I pretty much stick to the stock headlight and ad aux LED lights that I can turn on and off.

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
post #9 of 11 Old 12-13-2018, 01:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
I have had issues with LED headlight bulbs creating bizarre beam patterns and pretty much blinding you in any amount of fog so I pretty much stick to the stock headlight and ad aux LED lights that I can turn on and off.
My main motivation for an LED bulb was to color match all my front-end lighting. Makes me look more menacing to oncoming drivers.

I think today's LED bulbs are much improved with the light spread. Mine shines pretty normally. I just had to tweak the aim.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
It was a challenge to fit. You first have to remove the dash, which isn't a huge deal. To get the bulb and all the wiring under the screw-on dust cover, I had to snip the stock female connector off the bike and replace with slimmer connectors. Then I stuffed the connectors behind the plastic so it wouldn't interfere with air circulation around the fan or the dust cap. With the dust cap on the bulb doesn't seem to be suffering from overheating. Thousands of miles of flawless service.

Thanks for this info. I was also going to replace the low beam bulb with an H7 LED bulb.

Have you replaced the high beam with LED? Will an H7 fit? I've read it's an H9, but when I look for H7 bulbs, they are often listed as H7/H9, which makes me wonder if an H7 will fit, as I have 2 which I removed from my previous bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode