Snowflakes! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brockie
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
CoyoteChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Spokane the other WA
Posts: 232
Snowflakes!

"Snow Flakes that stay on my nose and my dashes..." (appologies to Rogers and Hammerstein)
I was out riding in 40 degree weather to warm the oil on my XT so I could change it to the winter grade, and
an amber light started flashing on the dash! SHOOT! (or something like that) I said...what now? Then it stays on and i look and it looks like a snow flake and its 38 degrees on the temp. A slickery black ice detector, it was....

Just for fun, I took the old oil's temperature with a digital gage and after 8 miles at 50 mph it reached 156 degrees.
CoyoteChris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2018, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,546
How did you do that? Stick a sensor in the oil filler hole or use infrared thermometer?

Does the 2017 DL650 have the same concept of oil <--> coolant heat exchanger that my 2012 DL650 had?

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 193,000+ km, 120,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
CoyoteChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Spokane the other WA
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
How did you do that? Stick a sensor in the oil filler hole or use infrared thermometer?

Does the 2017 DL650 have the same concept of oil <--> coolant heat exchanger that my 2012 DL650 had?

..Tom
You can buy digital probe thermometers pretty cheeply. plus or minus one degree accuracy. Drain the oil and put the probe in he pan. It also fits in some oil level dipstick holes like my NT700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-BBQ...crs:rk:22:pf:0

I had no idea any of the Vstorms had an oil/coolant heat exchanger. Some bikes were built with an air/oil cooling system. There would be a low pressure oil pump as well as a high pressure pump. The HP pump put oil to the bearings and the LP pump flowed lots of oil through cooling passages and to an oil cooler. There were fins on the barrels but I thought it was ingenious to eliminate the prestone cooler and just use oil. Like a radial aircraft engine. IIRC the new concept Royal Enfield 883 V twin uses that system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 838.jpg (121.2 KB, 5 views)
CoyoteChris is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
V-Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
You can buy digital probe thermometers pretty cheeply. plus or minus one degree accuracy. Drain the oil and put the probe in he pan. It also fits in some oil level dipstick holes like my NT700.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-BBQ...crs:rk:22:pf:0

I had no idea any of the Vstorms had an oil/coolant heat exchanger. Some bikes were built with an air/oil cooling system. There would be a low pressure oil pump as well as a high pressure pump. The HP pump put oil to the bearings and the LP pump flowed lots of oil through cooling passages and to an oil cooler. There were fins on the barrels but I thought it was ingenious to eliminate the prestone cooler and just use oil. Like a radial aircraft engine. IIRC the new concept Royal Enfield 883 V twin uses that system.
1st generation DL650 and DL1000's had the air based oil cooler. 2012-2016 DL650's have the coolant based heat exchanger. 2014 to 2017 DL1000 don't seem to have any actual oil cooler, at least not any separate device. I don't know about the latest DL1000 or the newest DL650's.

I don't think there is any separate oil circuit or pump (but could be wrong.) I'm pretty sure it just routes oil through the cooler as part of the oil circuit.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 193,000+ km, 120,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.


V-Tom is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
CoyoteChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Spokane the other WA
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
1st generation DL650 and DL1000's had the air based oil cooler. 2012-2016 DL650's have the coolant based heat exchanger. 2014 to 2017 DL1000 don't seem to have any actual oil cooler, at least not any separate device. I don't know about the latest DL1000 or the newest DL650's.

I don't think there is any separate oil circuit or pump (but could be wrong.) I'm pretty sure it just routes oil through the cooler as part of the oil circuit.

..Tom
Here is a little history for you...quote first then website.....
History of Suzuki's air/ oil cooled machines....
"Suzuki engineer, Estuo Yokouchi, was tasked with keeping the air-cooled motor in the XN85 turbo, cool. He researched oil jets and auxiliary oil cooling, as used on WWII aircraft before finding his solution. The SACS (Suzuki Advanced Cooling System) motor would have oil squirters to cool the underside of the pistons, as well as a secondary oil circulatory system to cool the cylinder head, ports and combustion chambers. The oil pump had both a normal high-pressure rotor, for the main and cam bearings, and a low-pressure/high-volume rotor that circulated oil through the cooling passages. The cylinder block remained air cooled, and had distinctive small fins on it, which made these engines look good in naked bikes. The good-looking, reliable motor, combined with plenty of wrecked sport bikes, gave rise to it becoming the engine to use in street fighters in the 1990s and 2000s."

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...oled-machines/
CoyoteChris is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
Brockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gatton, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 4,439
Garage
SACS. That is what my 1988 GSXR1100 uses. No water cooling at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSXR1100 March2002.jpg (239.5 KB, 2 views)
CoyoteChris likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Brockie is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
CoyoteChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Spokane the other WA
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
SACS. That is what my 1988 GSXR1100 uses. No water cooling at all.
Yes! They had some nice looking bikes back then, and no coolant to replace....I wonder if the SACS had a thermostatically controled oil cooler?
CoyoteChris is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 PM
shu
Stromthusiast!
 
shu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 168
DR650's still use the SACS cooling system as well. They have an oil cooler, but no thermostat. All oil is routed through the cooler, always.

It works very well. In fact, it's very rare to overheat them, even at temps well above 100* and at slow speeds. (I always have to block off my cooler in temps below 35*- the motor never warms up otherwise.)

...............shu
shu is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2018, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
 
Brockie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gatton, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 4,439
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
Yes! They had some nice looking bikes back then, and no coolant to replace....I wonder if the SACS had a thermostatically controled oil cooler?
No, it doesn't, not that I ever had cooling issues. Mind you, it has no temperature gauge either.
It is sadly consigned to a garage queen these days - awaiting resurrection. It would require a new battery and a set of carburettor kits, and was in need of a valve check and new chain and sprockets when instead of doing the required maintenance I bought a V-Strom.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
Brockie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still Riding.... Tnkrplt New England 81 05-16-2016 03:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome