Puig Rear Tire Hugger install - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rustlr63

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Puig Rear Tire Hugger install

After emailing Puig to confirm compatibility (every retailer said it wasnít compatible with Ď17 and Ď18 650ís), I ordered their rear tire hugger from Amazon. The part number is 4710J. I must have got a return because mine arrived in non standard packaging but fortunately had all hardware except for foam tape that is used to protect the swing arm.

Tools needed: Phillips head screwdriver, socket wrench (a second is helpful in the later stages), hex drivers of sizes 4 and 6, a 10 mm socket (again a second will be helpful later), socket extensions, Allen key or similar long item to remove plastic push rivets, razor knife or other implement for cutting stock plastic. Optional would be a 10 mm crescent or box wrench in place of socket, and in my case gorilla double sided tape in place of the missing foam tape.

Step 1: size 6 hex to remove rear mounting bolt from pax foot peg. Loosen the forward and let it hang to access chain guard mounts

Step 2: Phillips screw driver to remove chain guard (I used my power drill)

Step 3: remove ABS plastic protector by rear shock. I used 10 mm socket on LOOOONG extension to reach from underneath.
There are two plastic pop rivets holding the back of the guard on. They are the same type that hold the front fairing together, use your Allen key to push the fastener through and pull them out. Because of the shape of the plastic guard youíll have to wiggle it out past the tire.

Step 4: cut the bottom lip off the guard. I used a razor knife. My Dremel sat in the corner and gave me dirty looks as I neglected it.
Resist the urge to put this back in place before you install the hugger. I found I didnít have room for my socket wrench and had to remove it a second time.

Step 5: fit the supplied bracket over the right side swing arm. This is where I used my two 10 mm sockets. I also had to use the gorilla tape as my package Didnít have the foam tape.
Keep it loose until the hugger is in place so you can adjust the position as needed. Youíll need to shimmy it under the brake line.

Step 6: insert the four supplied well nuts into hugger. Slide the hugger in place and use the size 4 hex socket to tighten the screws. Full disclosure, itís tight around the exhaust. I used the Allen key that came with the bike. Once you have the exhaust side secured to the bracket you can tighten the screws around the swing arm.

Step 7: replace the ABS guard and the pax foot peg. I also added the double sided tape in a location that looked like it would rattle a little:
Itís between the swing arm and the hugger itself.

Done!

My only concern is that the stock chain guard included a metal bracket at the rear mounting position for stiffness that the hugger does not have. I make look to retrofit it to the hugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 V-Strom 650 XT - Champion Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the install pics. Been considering this for a while. How much room (aprox) between tire and hugger?

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #3 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice! Thanks for the install info.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rider View Post
Thanks for the install pics. Been considering this for a while. How much room (aprox) between tire and hugger?

Give or take about an inch at the end of the tail but it is much less in the curved area. Probably a half inch.

post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

On forestry roads I hear the odd rock run between the tire and the front fender. Would probably do the same in the rear.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Rider View Post
On forestry roads I hear the odd rock run between the tire and the front fender. Would probably do the same in the rear.

You can raise the fender, AdventureTech sells a kit:http://www.adventuretech.biz/2012-dl...der-riser.html

post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2018, 11:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustlr63 View Post
You can raise the fender, AdventureTech sells a kit:2012+ DL650 Front Fender Riser - AdventureTech, LLC.

Interesting product. Was planning on a fork brace for Christmas. Might as well add in the fender raisers.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode