Brake light Modulator - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Brake light Modulator

I'm thinking of installing a Brake light Modulator on my L8 650Xt. Can anyone recommend a quality product?

Thanks,
Stu
gary_lucas likes this.

Stu Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 PM
$tromtrooper

No doubt there are cheaper, and I know there are more expensive, but I like the 3rd Brake Light Flasher. They make 3 models, and you can see a comparison of features in the link.

I use and like the G1. It allows me to define 3 different flashing configurations for regular, medium, and hard braking, and I can adjust g-force thresholds for what qualifies as medium and hard braking.
gary_lucas likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball View Post
I'm thinking of installing a Brake light Modulator on my L8 650Xt. Can anyone recommend a quality product?

Thanks,
Stu
Have a look see at Signal Dynamic's Back-Off modulator, I have that hooked up to my hyper lights which helps get your attention

http://r.duckduckgo.com/l/?kh=-1&udd...om%2Fbackoffxp

Ed Jones
VN Veteran 69 101st AB
STOC # 5950
AMA Life Member

2013 DL650A Adv. (Weester)
97 ST1100 (Shasa) SOLD

Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...... ;>)

post #4 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Iím using one of these on my 2014 650. Plug and play.
https://gearbrake.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 650 Strom
post #5 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 04:59 PM
$tromtrooper

Forgot to add: if your brake flasher doesn't come with the proper connectors to easily plug into your existing wiring, and if you don't want to modify your existing wiring, consider an Eastern Beaver Brake/Tail/Signal adapter.

I use one on my '15 650. Not sure if there are different connectors for the 2017, so might want to check with EB before buying.
Hatchi likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdofthree View Post
Forgot to add: if your brake flasher doesn't come with the proper connectors to easily plug into your existing wiring, and if you don't want to modify your existing wiring, consider an Eastern Beaver Brake/Tail/Signal adapter.

I use one on my '15 650. Not sure if there are different connectors for the 2017, so might want to check with EB before buying.
Cool, thanks all for the info., think I'll check with EB, really like the plug and play option....

Stu Brown
post #7 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 05:29 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
+1 for the Signal Dynamics Back-Off modulators. Several options. You can get them from AdventureTech.biz

I left my stock brake light alone, but added an LED lighted license plate frame. It has amber left and right signals, a red light bar (with low/running and high/brake), and white license plate illumination.

I picked up a used Back-Off Wig-Wag modulator and wired it up to the low and high red light bar of the license plate frame only. So under normal running the red license plate light is off and when the brake light activates it blinks between low and high beam a few times, then goes into its alternating on/off blink - constant on cycle.

Looks great and really catches your attention, while the stock brake sends the constant light signal that drivers are used to seeing.
thirdofthree and gary_lucas like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 PM
$tromtrooper

Grimmer's post reminded me: I started with just a brake flasher on the stock tail / brake light of my '15 650. Wasn't particularly impressive nor noticeable to my eyes.

I then switched to an LED 1157 bulb, which helped. But it was still just OK.

When I added an aux brake light...wow...now THAT was striking! Lots of options for aux brake lights from stupendously cheap to fairly expensive and everywhere in between.

On the inexpensive, but not cheap, side of things I'm fond of the Abrams Edge ($28), and Whelen LIN3 (~$25 used on eBay).

In fact, one of my winter projects is to add two spread-out Whelen LIN3s to run as tail / steady-on brake lights, to augment my flashing Abrams Edge aux brake light. The LIN3s + stock light will form an upside-down triangle of tail / running lights and a steady-on triangle of brake lights, while on braking the Abrams will go from off to flashing, somewhere in the middle of the triangle.

Overkill? Probably.
Hatchi likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 12:21 AM
$tromtrooper

I have Hyperlites on all my bikes. Really work well and easy to install. Lots of options with them. A little pricey but worth it IMO.

https://hyperlites.com/
Hatchi likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-15-2018, 12:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

I installed and Admore light bar this evening. Very bright brake light and gives a triple pulse when you activate the brakes. On the turn signals it gives a tracer flash indicating your intended direction. (like a 65 T Bird)
https://admorelighting.com/product/a...ght-bar-small/

That price is in Cdn

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)

Last edited by Nicad; 11-15-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode