Hello, new member and first Strom - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-04-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
WingVetteStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fox Island, WA
Posts: 245
Hello, new member and first Strom

Hey all,
Been riding for 47 years, and just got my first Strom. New 2018 650XT.
Planning a trip to Mexico soon on it. Will be doing some off-road on the trip. No single trail technical stuff, but dirt and gravel roads.
Have spent many hours researching farkles, and have come up with a tentative list. Would appreciate any pos. or neg. comments on any of them, plus any other general advice from long distance on and off-road types regarding this bike.
thx!

- ASV Pivoting levers for crash protection, that way I can keep the OEM handguards and won't need Barkbusters
- Front fender extender
- Givi 3112 removable side case racks.
- Either the Mosko 35L Backcountry Panniers, or the Givi GRT709 Panniers- still on the fence. Givi's are lockable, but Mosko has a locking strap, but that's even more weight, although the Mosko strap will lock the bag to the bike and the entrance to the bag. I hear the Moskos are fairly heavy too.
- Admore light bar
- SW Motech crash bars
- SW Motech center stand
- SW Motech skid plate
- SW Motech On-Off road adjustable pegs
- Garmin 396LMT with TP monitors
- Cortech 2.0 18L sloped magnetic tank bag. (Don't like large bags, quick release, or strapped.)
- Givi Radiator Guard
- Kaoko Throttle Lock
- OEM heated grips
- Possibly the OEM lower seat, but may just try trimming down the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat. 30" inseam.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
WingVetteStrom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Kurtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Fl.
Posts: 128
Get a Madstad windscreen.
Kurtk is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 11-04-2018, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
WingVetteStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fox Island, WA
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtk View Post
Get a Madstad windscreen.
How tall are you? I'm only 5'8".

thx

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
WingVetteStrom is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 11-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 356
From looking my bike over, it appears that the rad will be damaged in a minor tip over. I reluctantly bought crash bars for that reason. I just added an admore rear light to mine, and will be adding some front LED's as well, mostly for increased visibility.
Today I added strip a of retro reflective tape to each rim. I have Black cast wheels. Tested them tonight and they really light up the bike from the side. Also adding a Denali sound bomb horn. I bought the one piece one and will make a bracket to mount it near the rear foot pegs. The two piece unit makes more sense when trying to mount it to a Vstrom.
Nice list you have.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
Nicad is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 11-05-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
WingVetteStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fox Island, WA
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
From looking my bike over, it appears that the rad will be damaged in a minor tip over. I reluctantly bought crash bars for that reason. I just added an admore rear light to mine, and will be adding some front LED's as well, mostly for increased visibility.
Today I added strip a of retro reflective tape to each rim. I have Black cast wheels. Tested them tonight and they really light up the bike from the side. Also adding a Denali sound bomb horn. I bought the one piece one and will make a bracket to mount it near the rear foot pegs. The two piece unit makes more sense when trying to mount it to a Vstrom.
Nice list you have.
What front LEDs are you planning on, and have you figured out how/where to mount them? Denalli sells brackets separately.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
WingVetteStrom is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Grimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 696
Garage
Nice list.

Some alternate recommendations that could save a bunch of $$$...

Have you looked at the GoCruise2 throttle lock? Very simple implementation, works well enough to get an occasional rest for the right hand and only about $20.

The Oxford heated grips I put on my Vee2 have been fantastic and only about $80. They have a voltage / charger noise monitoring controller that turns itself off when the engine stops.

Take a look at AdventureTech.biz. He rides these bikes and offers many national brands (authorized retailer for Shad and Givi, to name a few) as well as custom designed farkles. A lot of thought, common sense, and design has gone into his custom work and those parts really do address the intended issues. Excellent build quality and customer service.

He also offers LED lights. My original cheapos did OK, but the weak mounting scheme gave out after a couple of seasons. I replaced them with the LED's from AdventureTech and they are indeed solid. My Vee2 came with the Suzuki crash bars, which include little "roll cages" for the optional Suzuki DRL's. I used those to mount my AdventureTech LED lights (mostly so they could be as far as possible from the turn signals and head lamp - 3 points of light and don't washout my turn signals). I have dropped the bike on them twice with no damage to the LED's. They hit hard enough to require being re-aimed, but still shine as new.
Grimmer is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingVetteStrom View Post
What front LEDs are you planning on, and have you figured out how/where to mount them? Denalli sells brackets separately.
I bought Clearwater Darla's. Ended up getting refurbs for $100 off. I really like that they have a dimmer and flash with the horn and high beam. My main goal is being seen with the extra lights. Build quality seems top notch. Wiring looks very nicely done . Not many places to mount much on a Vstrom. I am mostly through making my mounts. They came out nice and were basically free. I made them out of two discarded mountain bike stems that I cut up. They will attach to the Alt Rider crash bars I just installed today . Also got 2nd's on these as they had a miniscule scratch and Alt Rider knocked off $100. These are certainly built with precision. Everything lined up perfectly. They are stainless steel and not too excessive. I'll post photos in a few days when I have time to finish things up. Also installing a Hyde racing plastic skid plate. As others have mentioned you have to make your own mounting hardware as what they provide is JUNK. Looks like it will be a great skid plate when mounted. I have a plastic plate on my Woods YZ 250X and it can take a bashing.
On the handle bars I am mounting the dimmer, Safe and Warm heat control on the plastic panel at the top of the tank and Oxford grip heaters within reach of the clutch. Will be using scrap bicycle parts to make mounting brackets if it goes to plan. Final bracket is to put a Sound Bomb Horn down by my rear peg. This one will be harder to make. Anyone contemplating a Sound Bomb horn should get the 2 part model. This one might fit inside the fairing.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
Nicad is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
WingVetteStrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fox Island, WA
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
Nice list.

Some alternate recommendations that could save a bunch of $$$...

Have you looked at the GoCruise2 throttle lock? Very simple implementation, works well enough to get an occasional rest for the right hand and only about $20.

The Oxford heated grips I put on my Vee2 have been fantastic and only about $80. They have a voltage / charger noise monitoring controller that turns itself off when the engine stops.

Take a look at AdventureTech.biz. He rides these bikes and offers many national brands (authorized retailer for Shad and Givi, to name a few) as well as custom designed farkles. A lot of thought, common sense, and design has gone into his custom work and those parts really do address the intended issues. Excellent build quality and customer service.

He also offers LED lights. My original cheapos did OK, but the weak mounting scheme gave out after a couple of seasons. I replaced them with the LED's from AdventureTech and they are indeed solid. My Vee2 came with the Suzuki crash bars, which include little "roll cages" for the optional Suzuki DRL's. I used those to mount my AdventureTech LED lights (mostly so they could be as far as possible from the turn signals and head lamp - 3 points of light and don't washout my turn signals). I have dropped the bike on them twice with no damage to the LED's. They hit hard enough to require being re-aimed, but still shine as new.
Thanks Nicad and Grimmer!
- I've tried GoCruise 2 type throttle locks before and they always seem to slowly slip and reduce the speed no matter how tight I have them. Does the GoCruise2 avoid this?

- Great suggestion on AdvTech site. I didn't know about this guy at all. Have already filled up the cart! His stuff is very reasonable priced. I'm going to go with the Oxford Grips to. The permanent ones, not the slip ons. Did you have any trouble getting the OEM grips off? Heat gun and pneumatic air I assume? Or just cut them off. They can't be too pricy if have to replace.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
WingVetteStrom is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 03:07 AM
$tromtrooper
 
Grimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Utah
Posts: 696
Garage
If I recall correctly, the throttle side came off pretty easily because it has molded features to lock it instep with the throttle tube and therefore wasn't glued, but the clutch side was just glued onto the bar. I just cut that one off and then cleaned off the glue residue with some handy 3M adhesive remover. The rubber grips aren't expensive as you mentioned. Also, there is a rib on the hard tube (under the rubber) on the throttle side that the instructions say to cut away. Once you get into it you'll see. There are some guys that don't cut it, but I much preferred to remove it. The plastic tube is cheap as well. I think the whole set of replacement grips for the 2014 DL1000 was $14 (maybe $14 each...?) at rockymountainatv.com... One thing is to be sure to score/scuff and clean the bar and throttle tube so that the glue will stick. There are several threads about using alternate glues and sprays... I used a super glue from the hardware store that was supposed to be fancier... The high heat has been known to loosen up lesser glues and sprays resulting in a loose grip. Many have had success with the included glue and various others. Mine are solid so far after two seasons but I have never run them above the 3rd setting and that high only once riding through a snow storm. Typically the first or second setting has been enough for me, but I don't get out in the sub freezing very much. Once you are getting that far down (20's F) you'll probably want full heated gear anyway.

There are two styles of the Oxford that will work on the Stroms. One has a different grip pattern (the adventure?) but requires trimming the other has just the right length but has the more standard touring grip pattern... Had to double check, it is the touring model that is a perfect fit for the 2014 DL1000, no trimming, just prep, glue and quickly shove it into place before it dries and sticks where you don't want it. Be sure to plan for the heater's cable on the throttle side to rotate its full travel without hitting anything. And on both sides consider the throw of the clutch and brake levers.

For the GoCruise2, there is a nut that allows you to pull increased pinching force to help prevent it from slipping. I have had mine slip a bit and I've had it not slip too. Be sure that the "rubber band" is installed under it for extra traction and to help preserve your throttle's grip. I typically only set it for short periods of rest or mirror adjustment. I don't use it as a longer term "cruise control". I looked at the Kaoko and the BreakAway options. Both were a bit pricey, so I tried the GoCruise2. Simple, inexpensive, and it works well enough for my needs so I stuck with it.
Grimmer is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 419
I have a like-new set of Givi PL3112 side case racks. Briefly on bike and comes with all original fasteners and install instructions. PM me if interested. Will be posting in the classified section sometime very soon.

Edit: Posted for sale *HERE*

Last edited by brock29609; 11-14-2018 at 03:35 PM.
brock29609 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome