About to install oxford heated grips. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

About to install oxford heated grips.

Wondering if I need to lift the tank, how have others done it on the 2017+ models, is it any different from previous bikes?

It looks like pulling the tank is a pain in the ass and I'd prefer to avoid that. But I'd also rather do it once and have it work forever, looks like lifting the tank will give me a clearer route from the controller to the battery.

Thanks a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

It is not difficult to fish the wires down either side of the tank without lifting it. I used the left side. Running the wires inside a length of split loom will protect them from chaffing and provide a route to to add a volt meter when you decide to install it in the future.When the time comes to change the air filter you can secure the loom to the existing wire harness. You can connect directly to the battery. The downside is that a dead battery will happen at some point. There should be factory installed power leads for heated grips. The connector is wrapped in blach tape and taped to the top of the rad below the horn and towards the centre line of the bike. It is not terribly easy to spot. A bright light is helpful. There is a post with pictures on here from about 2 months age or so. A connector that is the same as the one on the horn will fit this taped one. A dealer should beable to get one or someone who has installed aftermarket horns. Easternbeaver has it ias well. Fell free to message if you need more info. Cheers Doug
gary_lucas likes this.
post #3 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
It looks like pulling the tank is a pain in the ass and I'd prefer to avoid that.
You should remove tank to get to the OEM heated grip connection, but it's not a pain at all. Found it quite easy. Put on some music in your garage and take your time. No sweat.

I HIGHLY recommend you get this bendy long screw driver. With the appropriate hex (Allen) tip it makes the hardest part of the job very easy. You'll want this to remove one of the clamps that holds on the air box. Without this tool it's a long curved reach and hard to get to.

I got it as Walmart for around $6 or $7

gary_lucas likes this.

post #4 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have some really long plastic 'zip ties' (used for securing duct work) - they are about 3-4 feet long. I fish one of those under tank - tape wire to it and fish it back. It's flexible and thin - takes just a few seconds.

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Cab...ties+duct+work
gary_lucas likes this.
post #5 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 05:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I install the Oxfords on my 2014 Vee2. Ran the wires directly to the battery. I don't recall, but I imagine that I did pull the tank since it is pretty easy on the 2014 and step #1 for half of the maintenance... you'll get pretty good at it for sure. Oxford's new control box senses the line voltage and noise and turns itself off when it detects the engine is off (not charging). Works well. I have forgotten to manually turn it off a few times, other times on purpose... It has not gotten confused yet.

I read someone on this forum float the idea of mounting the controller to the inside of the factory hand guards, so I gave it a go. The control fits very well; however, the double sided sticky tape didn't last. I ended up using black RTV silicone and it is solid as a rock now (and water resistant). My fingers are just a bit too short to poke the buttons without coming off the grip, but I can easily reach forward and lobster claw the buttons with heavy insulated gloves on. I recommend this installation option. I didn't like having the control on the handle bar (the metal plate Oxford included didn't fit any mount points on the bars anyway -- I am running AdventureTech mirror riser / extenders). The only drawback to this mounting position I can see would come from dropping the bike and breaking the factory hand guard...

I'll post a pic when I get back to the bike...
gary_lucas likes this.
post #6 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 06:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Pro-tip (from a non-pro): I installed the Oxfords on my former 14 Vee 2, along with Barkbusters and the Kaoko throttle lock. All highly recommended products. The mistake I made was in my attempt at perfection, I glued my heated grip too close to the Kaoko unit on the throttle tube at the bar end. Looked and worked perfectly, until the grips heated up and expanded ever so slightly. This caused the throttle grip to bind on the Kaoko housing - causing some tense moments. I could run them on low without this issue, but on high heat, they would expand and bind together requiring a bit of (WTF?!?!) force to back off the throttle. First time realizing that was less than fun - like a double-locked cruise control! Solution is simply give the grip a safe gap between to allow for heat expansion (who knew?).
gary_lucas likes this.

Current: '17 R1200GS Adventure, '16 DR650SE, '15 DR200S
Past: '14 DL1000A ADV, '07 DL1000, '01 K1200LTC, '89 ZX10, '81 KZ650, '75 DT400B
post #7 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 07:44 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Pic as promised...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20181029_174222_1540856659878.jpeg (406.9 KB, 29 views)
Argus16, Sullaha, Jhat and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wow, that's a smart place to put the Oxford controls!
gary_lucas likes this.
post #9 of 54 Old 10-29-2018, 11:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Isn't it easier to just bolt it on the mirror with the provided holder?
gary_lucas likes this.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #10 of 54 Old 10-30-2018, 12:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm going to try this using 3M Dual lock strips. Quite an amazing product. If it works I have a ten foot roll and can send out some samples.
gary_lucas likes this.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode