Winterization - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Winterization

Hello everyone,

Happy new owner of a dl650 2017, been riding for the first time this summer too, couldn't be happier. But living in Quebec, it means my bike is going to sleep for the next 4 to 6 months. Now, I want to get it ready properly.

My bike currently have about 650km. I was planning on having the first check done before storing it but I won't have time to get it to the dealer in the next month. Thus, I'll have to take it to them on spring, when everyone is getting there bike checked.

I've topped to fuel tank, added about 80ml of motomaster field stabilizer, ran for about 10 minutes (time to get back to my house from the gaz station).

Now, I only have the oem side stand. I bought a batter tender plus 12v 1.25a. I'll remove the battery and put it in my basement with the battery tender on it.

The bike itself will be in my garage (separate from house). It's not heated but it's still isolated. The coldest I registered was -10C (was about -35C outside for a week when it reached that temp).

I do use the garage for my car also. That mean I'll enter in the garage with my car full of ice, snow and salt. There's no drain in my garage for water. The car is less then a feet from my bike.

What else should I do to properly get my bike through winter?

I have 0 mechanical knowledge and no nothing about parts name (except really basic stuff like chain, seat,...). I do want to learn, but I'm a slow learner.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 11:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Wish I could help you but I live in Florida and have no experience in what you need to do in the Far North.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 PM
$tromtrooper

About the only things I would do different:

- change the oil and filter, using recommended components and then, in the spring, show the dealer that you have done so. If it was my bike, I would not want the "break in" oil and contaminants left in the bike over the winter. Dead easy to do yourself. Don't be scared of trying it.

- don't bather with taking the battery out. I don't think there is any hard evidence that doing so extends the life of the battery. Just leave it in the bike and hook up the tender. BTW - batteries nowadays seem to expire unexpectedly in a relatively short period of time. I have taken to replacing mine, on a routine basis, every 3-4 years regardless of how they are performing.

- Get your tires out of the way of any salt water that accumulates on the floor from your car. Shallow pans (eg baking sheets) would work.

- Don't worry too much about it. These bikes are built stout!!! The difference in doing nothing compared to everything MAY BE extending the life from 150,000 kms to 200,000 kms. Maybe!! (are you going to keep it that long?) Lots of anecdotal stuff but very little unbiased (ie. not money related) info out there.

post #4 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

My 2017 has about 250KM on it. If you used Regular low octane fuel, it might be advisable to syphon it out and use it in the car, as regular in Canada has Ethanol, which doesn't do good things in stored fuel systems. Shell 91 and I believe Petro Canada 91 do not have Ethanol.
I run mine on Regular, but will store it with 91 and fuel stabilizer. As the other respondent suggested, an oil change is always a good idea before storage. I'd probably clean the bike too and put a cover over it. I bought an inexpensive one on AMazon.ca for $29. Seems to be of decent quality for the money..

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
post #5 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 05:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Really no need to do anything. 3 to 6 month or dormancy is nothing for a motorcycle. Topping up the tank is a good idea as is removing the battery and putting it on a battery tender for a couple hours every 3 to 4 weeks.

There is no need to change the oil as at 650KM the additives package in the oil is still good.

The best thing to do is simply leave the bike alone. The worst thing lots of people do is go out and start the bike every now and then. Let it idle for 10 minutes "till she's hot" turn off the ignition and walk away. In doing his the motor does not reach operating temperature and leaves a lot of moisture in side the crankcase and exhaust as the oil did not reach 100c/212f to be able to boil off the moisture.
Big B and Hfxoldvolks like this.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

I agree with Nicad on cleaning and covering the bike.
Taking the battery out and storing it on a trickle charger in the basement might not be a bad idea, due to warmer temperature than in your garage.
Temps well below freezing might not be great for your battery.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you everyone for all the information
post #8 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

A full tank with stabilizer is a good idea in QC. Humid winters..Otherwise ya just leave it alone.. Cover it up so it can't see the snow outside..
post #9 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I don't know if removing the battery is worth doing. But the battery tender is better than nothing. Even better is putting it on a regular charger every couple weeks.

Cleaning the bike is good. Lube the chain. Put 2-3 lbs more air in the tires than normal, it will leak down anyway. Rotate the tires a quarter turn every now and then, helps with flat spots on the first ride.

If you change your own oil, I would probably change it. Gets rid of all contaminants and it is supposed to have this done at first service anyway.
tucsonray and Kurtk like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 19 Old 10-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

If I'm going to store the bike for more than two weeks, I use e10 with stabilizer. If more than a month, e0. If more than three months, e0 with fuel stabilizer. I never store a less than full tank.

Winter storage can cause condensation in oil. Combustion byproducts in oil are acidic when dissolved in water.

Full Tank, e0 with fuel stabilizer
Gear oil chain wipe down
Change Oil
Engine Fog
Remove battery
ACF 50 full spray down
Aero 303 spray on Seat
Plug muffler to keep out critters
Lift rear tire off ground
Cover with old bed sheet in garage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode