LED Headlight Bulbs - A Must Have - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

3Likes
  • 1 Post By HanSolo
  • 1 Post By HanSolo
  • 1 Post By PeteW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking LED Headlight Bulbs - A Must Have

Let me start by saying I think the stock headlight is decent, but the lumens power of halogen lights only goes so far. LEDs are far superior and will also save you wattage should you want to add battery draining items. For example, I replaced the 55 watt H7 low beam with a 25 watt H7 LED light with 3x the lumens.

I bought the H7 plus and H9 plus kit from advmonster . They're not super cheap, but this was after trying cheaper sets on AMZ first. At least at this point in writing the kits available either have heat-sinks too large to fit in the H7 enclosure with the seal on or have fans (which can go out) with no where to vent the hot air.

Why?: 1. Wanted to be seen and see more as it's getting darker earlier. 2. Wanted to free up wattage to run more heated gear, possible fog lights. 3. Looks more premium

Install: You'll need to actually remove the gauge cluster, front fairings, etc. to get to the H7 (lowbeam) bulb. It's kind of ridiculous you can't change a bulb without doing all of this, but then again how often do you need to do it?

Tips: DO NOT UNSCREW THE H7 RETAINING CLIP. I removed mine and had a bear of an issue figuring out an alternative. If you can't get the heatsink (rectangle box) in, John at ADVMonster recommended using an extended seal cap found on AMZ here:
Amazonhttps://www.amazon.com/Universal-Hou...=headlight+cap
The H9 (highbeam) is easy, just twist off. I also opted to replace the parking 5w bulb with a 2w LED to match.

Final note: If you do everything right it'll probably only take you 1-2 hours max. If you lose the clip, drop something in the headlight, etc. you'll need to take the headlight off which will take you longer. However it goes for you, it's a worthwhile upgrade for sure. I think I remember reading from the amazing Greywolf that by lowering the running wattage drain on the bike more heat will be put into the charging system (stator, etc.) which might shorten its lifespan. Not sure if it's applicable with our bikes, but just FYI of a possible con.
Nicad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Very interested in how this works out, as I have purchased quite a bit of heated gear and a set of LED lights that will consume 48 watts at full power. Was thinking I would have to be judicious about rationing what gets heated and when. I seem to remember reading the 2017 has a bit of a bump in stator output. Looking forward to hearing about the change in light pattern and quality.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 11:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have any night pictures?

2018 Vee
1980 Suzuki GS1000E

post #4 of 6 Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
It may be hard now, but I would like to see some night comparison pictures of pattern and illumination. Maybe there is a strom with the incandescent lights handy for picture posing side-by-side. My other reservation personally, is durability and dependability. I've not used LED's long or on many things but my experience with early LED automotive/utility lighting was less than stellar. I know technology moves fast and perhaps my fears are misplaced to the level of current technology. The thought of a single-light-system failure scares me more than remembering I have three living ex-wives.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-22-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hey ya'll, sorry I've been tied up. I did the install somewhat selfishly and didn't take any beforehand pictures; however I can take current pictures and find some stock photos. I didn't notice any changes in the pattern except I think it's somewhat wider and projects somewhat farther out. The low beam is bright enough that folks start parting the sea when I lane split and if they don't get the point flashing the high beam works. The high beam now projects crazy far down the street. I'm thinking about adding side bar LEDs, but I'm not sure what else actually needs to be illuminated at this point. LEDs are supposed to last longer than halogens so I don't see any reason not to do it other than the upfront cost. These bikes aren't that loud and people are oblivious so I'd rather be seen than heard. I'll try to upload a couple of pictures this weekend.
scab likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

I compromised. The H7 is low beam and hard to deal with, high beam is H9 and easy - and the most useful. So I did the H9 and left the H7 as a conventional bulb.
Kurtk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode