True Haunted Halloween story for me and my Vstrom 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
True Haunted Halloween story for me and my Vstrom 650

As many of you members are aware from my past posts I had been subjected to a rather nasty deal from my local Suzuki dealership
with the purchase of my bike in July of this year. Well now comes the time to take the bike in for the first 600 mile service.
I'm thinking to myself surely the same BS cannot happen again - Right ? oh yes it can and did. Follow along.

I call and make an appointment for service this last Saturday, First in line, Asked for Amsoil upgrade and M 109 filter.
Service guy said maybe $20 extra. No problem. 2 1/2 hours later I see a service tech riding my bike out of the dealership.
So I'm thinking ok they have my bike done, just a few more minutes and I'm gone. No not just yet. The horror is still to come !

Service guy brings over some papers and says "sorry sir we can't put the Amsoil filter on your bike because Suzuki would not accept it
if a claim was filed." I said your service manager told me no problem ! Oh he's only been hear a few months - he didn't know.
And I'm getting scarred now. So Suzuki filter and Amsoil. I said ok what ever just let me leave. They did - And I rode the bike home.
The whole way back I felt and heard some strange rattle sound. Creepy You know! So I pull in the garage pop the seat off the bike ,
(sound seemed to come from under there ) Now this is crazy, Said service guy forgot to put the vibration isolator under and through
the rear hold down bolt on the gas tank. Scarry huh. Not over yet - The front 2 bolts that held the front gas tank mount were loose
and the left bolt broken in 2 pieces , as well as the bracket installed backwards and positioned in front of the trim. The right side bolt
was loose by 5 threads. So After that I called the service manager and told him what I found. Back to dealer I go.
Here's the real scare, I pull into the service bay the guy that worked on my bike to me looked just like Micheal Myers hockey mask and all.
That blank stare and hollow looking face staggering over towards me arms outstretched. Then I woke back up, It was a Mexican guy
holding a wrench, Sir let me show you what I fixed. Oh you fixed it alright. I said. So they proceed to take parts off the showroom bike
just like mine to get the parts need to replaced my tattered bits. I was already shaking uncontrollably. The hockey mask seemed to fade in and out as I watched him show me how he desecrated my bike. Then they showed me the bill for $465 for the service but since I had the service contract was ZERO cost to me. I told the service manager that If I paid cash for this you guys would be eating all the cost of this service hack.
He assured me the Bad parts of this movie in my mind were over. I rode away from there with absolutely ZERO confidence in any creature, human
or otherwise that works at that business. When I got home my wife said the movie Halloween is on do you want to see it ? No - I already saw it in person just a few hours ago...... jake
Lrobby99 and Hatchi like this.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 side bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED driving lights ,
Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system cooking in the oven.

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
not to be confused with actual motorcycle knowledge"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yeah, that is a Horror story. I have a very long warranty on mine, and I just realized the downside is having to get expensive services done by people you don't know or trust. Whoever was that disinterested and incompetent should be fired before someone gets hurt.
DesertBike likes this.

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
post #3 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
Yeah, that is a Horror story. I have a very long warranty on mine, and I just realized the downside is having to get expensive services done by people you don't know or trust. Whoever was that disinterested and incompetent should be fired before someone gets hurt.
Actually not accurate if you live in the US. You can work on your bike yourself or have any shop do it (manufacturer or independent shop is fine). Your warranty coverage will be valid. I have extended warranty on my Yamaha but still do everything myself.
DesertBike likes this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"

post #4 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
I thought that too. Like if he forgets to tighten an axle nut or caliper bolts, Steering head bolt. I know things are not designed
to just "fly Apart" if loose but still makes you wonder what your paying $120 per hour for? Some numb skull with a hangover twisting
wrenches on your bike. I paid for the service contract on this bike. If I could fly back in time I would have said no thanks.
Thing is I can do most of the service work myself. I just don't have experience with the fuel injection side of the equation.
Would have saved myself about $35 per month on the payments. And I have MAZ4ME as my backup call in mechanic. He's great
and always willing to make sense of it all.
snorkie likes this.

Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
Actually not accurate if you live in the US. You can work on your bike yourself or have any shop do it (manufacturer or independent shop is fine). Your warranty coverage will be valid. I have extended warranty on my Yamaha but still do everything myself.
Sorry my voucher says SKY POWER SPORTS on it so I cannot take it to another dealer or shop and use the voucher. Otherwise I pay cash
for what I paid over$1800 for. This guy may have fallen prey to this trap too.

post #6 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
It definitely is good to be able to take your biz elsewhere.

My Vstrom was used so of course no warranty attached. I had my first valve clearance check done at one independent shop, but I decided never to go back after they insisted on a completely unnecessary coolant flush & replacement (long story). Also, they charge what to me is highway robbery for an off-bike tire swap ($50+!).

I found a different shop run by a dirt bike guy. They've done work for me a couple of times now, and I'll keep going back. They haven't insisted on any unnecessary work. They also charge ~$25 to swap a tire if I bring in the wheel, which is more like it.

I still haven't had anything done at the actual Suzuki dealership. Inflated labor rates, margin built into parts...nah.
Kerri Miller likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

I get the Amsoil filter not being accepted as it is not a factory part or there is nothing to prove it is manufactured to meet or exceed Suzuki specifications. Honestly there is nothing to gain using and aftermarket filter verses OEM.

I prefer to work on my own motorcycles especially when folks are getting charged $465 for what really is an $30 oil change and maybe clean/lube and check the tension of the chain with the toe of your shoe. If they spend 20 to 30 minutes on a bike I'd be surprised.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-14-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
For mine the labor sheet said 2 1/2 hours labor $300 Just for the said parts and shop supplies was the other $165.
I watched every second after it was returned for repair and it took over an hour to fix what he F'd up.

The service manager tried to satisfy me by saying he would not let this guy work on my bike again, but his
best mechanic was out with a death in the family, but next time he was my guy. Gee I'm all fuzzy thinking about that. OMG

I'm praying for this to be over soon. I tried the BBB complaint route and did nothing, Contacted Suzuki USA and called out the dealership
as inferior, incompetent Baboons Trained to rip off the public. Dealership never responded to the formal complaint so the BBB closed the case.

Closest other sky power sports is 60 miles away.

post #9 of 18 Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry to hear of your Dealer problems. Seems like itís very hard to find a good one today as most just see to be interested in the $$$ anyway they can get it.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I try not to vent to you guys on here, Rather just make you aware of what can happen at these dealerships. And many times
they suck us in with promises and grandeur statements. And then the reality is a total 180. From what I saw about 1 10th
of the service shop area that I went to was for service work. The rest was a storage location for 4 wheelers and side by sides.
So you could see they could not handle very many bikes at any one time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode