• 1 Post By Lrobby99
  • 1 Post By Kurtk
  • 1 Post By thecrumb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

PUIG windscreen

Ok so I've upgraded from a 2003 GSXF 750 to a 2018 DL650, biggest issue I'm having is turbulence on stock screen highest setting anything over 50mph and my teeth are chattering. So "upgraded" yo the PUIG touring screen which allows me to get 70/75mph before the teeth chattering starts. So my questions are as follows:
Is the PUIG screen just shit as for buffeting?
What suggestions can I do to get rid of the buffeting, as I do a 20 mile motorway journey daily and it's giving me a headache?
Would it be worth contacting PUIG and complaining or are they just gonna say sod off?

TIA Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
My guess is the sod off. But in Spanish.
I hate to ask, but helmet? Full face helmet?
A nice scarf or balaclava?
Warm jacket, gloves, thermal lined pants?
I have the Puig on mine. Does okay. I was not willing to pay the extra amount for the fancy Givi screen.
Stay warm!
Goosy likes this.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Get the Madstad.
Railrocker likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Helmet is the modular Hjc which gave no buffeting on the gsxf haha. Well response from PUIG was kinda oh well hard shit we can't guarantee no buffeting, but buy pur spoiler for it haha.

I have put a rubber washer between top mount and screen which has increased the comfort for a few more mph
post #5 of 7 Old 10-11-2018, 12:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
May I ask your physical size? I'm 5' 10", 195 lbs, 32" inseam pant (31" reality). I'm also wearing the HJC modular helmet and using the stock screen set at the highest setting. While I'm not in a "cone of silence," I do not experience any buffeting. I get a lot more air than some other bikes I have owned, but it's a pretty clean flow. I do get a slight visual jitter in my prescription RayBans if I run highway speeds or higher with the HJC screen up, but with the helmet screen closed, my visual perception is smooth. In the closed position, the top helmet vents bring plenty of air, the chin vent never has airflow. There is wind noise, but nothing extraordinary. And, I've got my helmet hard-wired with computer speakers for wired sound so what wind noise I have is a moot point, as I'm almost always listening to music/GPS.
I'm interested in following your outcome because I may want less airflow during winter months. Right now I have no issues with the air volume I'm experiencing but I've only had the bike since mid-August.
2018 DL650XT

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Before I went crazy with swapping shields I'd pop the mirrors off and try riding to see if it's the shield or the mirrors.

I got some mirror extenders and that helped tremendously with dirty air.
Bikerjoe likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Scab, I.m 6'1" with a 33" in seam. I'm getting low wind noise but at 70mph above my teeth are chattering against each other, I can ride with visor up to about 60mph before it gets to windy inside the helmet. I might try the mirrors and see if that is the issue as they are in a different place to what I am used to... I'll o this over the next few days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode