Got my Madstad windscreen.WoW. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Got my Madstad windscreen.WoW.

High winds in my area today with gusts up around 35 MPH. Good day for a road test I thought. Set it up with the hight and angle that looked right. Decided the real test would be without ear plugs but took some along just in case.
In the past the wind noise was really loud and I needed ear plugs. I was really surprised how quiet my ride was with the Madstad. I got up to 80 MPH against the wind and it was still good.
I got the Med Gray Tint shield 20 that goes well with my Black 2018 Wee. The guys at Madstad are great to do business with and it is made in the U.S.A.. 🇺🇸 👍
madstrom, ACKMANDO, SECoda and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have both an Givi Airflow and a Madstad on two bikes and the Madstad is best when adjusted properly. The acrylic also doesn't scratch up like the poly on the Givi's. I got my Givi direct form Italy for $93 on a Black Friday a few years ago. THe Madstad is expensive by comparison - but worth it. ;-)
BornToRide likes this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 10-08-2018 at 09:58 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I agree the Madstad is expensive and Im thinking its worth it.
Mulewright likes this.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 05:39 AM
$tromtrooper

Was the best farkle on my two stroms ...amazing....and now going on my CB500x today ...it has air flow wings on the CB500x ....is that the same for the current Vstrom?

I was using the Madstad and a Givi screen.

A tip ....buy one size up on the screen - the range of adjustment is very large and the larger screen goes lower for the same top point.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #5 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtk View Post
High winds in my area today with gusts up around 35 MPH. Good day for a road test I thought. Set it up with the hight and angle that looked right. Decided the real test would be without ear plugs but took some along just in case.
In the past the wind noise was really loud and I needed ear plugs. I was really surprised how quiet my ride was with the Madstad. I got up to 80 MPH against the wind and it was still good.
I got the Med Gray Tint shield 20 that goes well with my Black 2018 Wee. The guys at Madstad are great to do business with and it is made in the U.S.A.. 🇺🇸 👍
How tall is the 20" windscreen? Can you post a photo? My concern - I don't want any view abstraction, I am 5.11

I have GIVI airflow and sometimes it is extremely noisy.. But I like the adjustability function of it...
post #6 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

On my 2013 DL650 I had

Stock screen = really bad @ any setting (head felt like it was in a paint shaker at anything over 45 MPH)

Givi airflow = about 50% better than stock

Madstad 18" Adventure = 80% better than stock (bike was tolerable with just the Madstad)

Taking it further in the quest for even further reduced buffeting:

Double Take Adventure mirrors took care of about 10%

Handguards took care of 2 or 3 % of the buffeting

Winglets took care of 2 or 3%

The remaining 4% to 6% was never cured but the bike was a lot more tolerable.
stu53 and Vandergraf like this.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Born to ride. Depending on how you measure it, it is around 20. I have it set on the lower setting. I still dont know how to post a picture to this site. I talked to the guy at Madstad and gave him my height and inseam and he recommended the 20. I think even the 18 would work with the adjustment available. For different years of Storms it may make a difference.
I dont have winglets just the windscreen. Call them up and they will help you decide what you need. They have a picture of the screen on a 2017-18 on there site.
BornToRide likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

I just realized my K6 Vee came with a Madstad bracket and Givi windscreen. I'm happy with it and have no complaints about the aerodynamics at speed, as long as the wind's not blowing too hard.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yup I have the same one only clear. I like it too but I don't have much to compare it to except the stock screen which was intolerable. I have an idea to improve upon it that I'll be trying soon. If you feel the airflow while riding, a good amount still comes up between the main fairing/instrument panel and the Madstad screen. This is as it should be BUT that air comes mainly TOWARD you rather than UPWARD. I'm working on a deflector that will hopefully aim that air more in the upward direction thereby pushing the everything higher and over the helmet area.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I started my ride with my visor open on my full face helmet with sun glasses on it wasnt until I rode a few miles that I realized it was still open. The air was that still. As I rode along I heard things I never heard before like the click as I shifted as I rode and I even heard the exhaust. Im very happy with the windscreen as it is and for me I dont see any improvement needed at this time. 👍😎
BornToRide and Baldspot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode