Bike Modifications for Traveling Long Distance - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bike Modifications for Traveling Long Distance

Good day Comrades!

After spending 5 month on my new VStrom 650 (close to 15,000 km) I am ready to share my experience and ask questions from more experience comrades...

Modifications I have done to the bike so far:
1 - Central stand (I got original Suzuki from the dealer).
2 - Installed Engine Guards - GIVI.. It was not as easy as some yutubers suggested. After braking 2 bolts I have finally realized that threads must be retreaded... I have also replaced cheap GIVI bolts with nice SS bolts from local supplier. I have also added rubber between tube and frame to minimize vibration (zero vibration at any RPM as a result).
Replaced original windshield with GIVI Air Flow - very pleased. Specially adjustability feature. I still get air in to my shoulders but my head feels very calm...
4 - Installed central case - GIVI V56 Maxia
5 - Upgraded the seat as my ass was getting under fire after 4 hrs of riding.. I needed full day and no pain experience. Took original seat to the local Ottawa shoe repair store. They have added memory foam and now I feel like I am sitting on top of air - no ass fatigue...
6 - Purchased 70L Duffel Bag from Nelson Rigg. I went camping many times and got under heavy rain - 100% keeps everything in it dry...
7 - Installed heated grips - KOSO 305-10700F - love them
8 - Side stand metal plate by GIVI - gives me 100% stability when parking bike on soft ground. 100% must in my opinion. It touches the central stand a bit but no issues...
9 - Nelson Rigg gas tank bag - I picked the one on magnets...

Plans to get soon before I hit the road for 3 weeks ride:
10 - GIVI Radiator cover
11 - GIVI skid plate to protect oil filter (unless someone can recommend a better one?)
12 - Givi Pair Of Side Cases Trekker Outback 48lt Aluminium + GIVI rear ruck.

Questions/Thoughts
I literally don't like how front fork is too soft on normal riding. I talked to the local shop and they recommended changing springs and installing extra component in to each "pipe" to improve oil flow. Has anyone done it?
Question about electrical staff.. Is it mandatory to install extra relays/switches (as mentioned in other treads) to prevent from lights malfunction etc. I might be using power for accessories so I might need lights switch to minimize total output when needed...

I would appreciate any other advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 11:49 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
Questions/Thoughts
I literally don't like how front fork is too soft on normal riding. I talked to the local shop and they recommended changing springs and installing extra component in to each "pipe" to improve oil flow. Has anyone done it?
Question about electrical staff.. Is it mandatory to install extra relays/switches (as mentioned in other treads) to prevent from lights malfunction etc. I might be using power for accessories so I might need lights switch to minimize total output when needed...

I would appreciate any other advice!
-I took my front forks off during the winter and sent them to Daugherty Motorsports and had him re-spring and re-valve them. Depending on your weight and riding characteristics(aggressive/passive) you will want to consider having him also re-valve and re-build the rear shock(I did). His prices are very reasonable and his work after 15 thousand miles is still doing it's job. This was a huge increase in ride quality and performance for me and something I wish I had done when I bought the bike.
http://daughertymotorsports.com/vstromsection.html

-Yes, Suzuki has never addressed the problem of the overloaded switch in the starter circuit, so do the Eastern Beaver harness to prevent a likely future failure. You can opt to turn off one or both headlamps with his harnesses. You can also save some watts by switching over to LED headlight bulbs.
BornToRide likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #3 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

when you had your seat modified, did they remove any existing foam in order to add the memory foam? Was the original cover re-used?

post #4 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpeaks View Post
when you had your seat modified, did they remove any existing foam in order to add the memory foam? Was the original cover re-used?
They removed what was there and installed a memory foam. Original cover was reused. It was done by a professional shoe repair guy so you will not be able to tell the difference that seat was modified. Until you ride it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7
Thanks for the advise Motor7!!! Now I have to find a good bike electrician that done Vstroms before... My dealer told me they don't know how to do it...
I will also do a rear shock as you advised to kill 2 chickens with one shot..
post #5 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pics or it didn't happen.
BornToRide likes this.
post #6 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
I literally don't like how front fork is too soft on normal riding.
Didn't think you were speaking figuratively, but here's a cheap and easy fix.

Remove the internal fork spacers and replace with PVC pipe that's cut a quarter inch longer. This adds preload to the spring and will make it ride firmer. The front end will sit a little higher as a result, but just slide the fork tubes up in the triple tree to bring the front end back down.
notacop and BornToRide like this.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 03:16 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
Didn't think you were speaking figuratively, but here's a cheap and easy fix.

Remove the internal fork spacers and replace with PVC pipe that's cut a quarter inch longer. This adds preload to the spring and will make it ride firmer. The front end will sit a little higher as a result, but just slide the fork tubes up in the triple tree to bring the front end back down.
This is true with a progressive spring, not the linear springs in a Vstrom.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
miles smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 03:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Fork Brace makes a big difference on the highway and in the wind.
Kerri Miller likes this.

NewStrom
post #9 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 05:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
This is true with a progressive spring, not the linear springs in a Vstrom.
You can add preload to stiffen either type spring. Not sure why progressive vs. straight rate matters here. And, the OEM springs in my '17 are progressive. They're wound more tightly at one end.
post #10 of 27 Old 10-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

"Preload" isn't really a good description of adding a spacer or adjusting spring height on a shock. Unless the suspension is topped out, adjusting the spring height will simply move the sag amount. Won't change the spring rate in any way. We call it preload, but actually it is simply a height adjustment. This can change the amount of load the spring carries as it will/can move further before the suspension bottoms. But on the road you shouldn't be able to feel any difference in stiffness. This would only be felt as the suspension nears bottoming out.
BornToRide and rodent62 like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode