**Rotopax on frame with Shad SH23 (it works!) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HanSolo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 09-30-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking **Rotopax on frame with Shad SH23 (it works!)

After installing the Shad SH23s on my 'strom, I noticed there was about 3 1/2 inches of air on each side even with the shortest spacers. I also noticed that the bike was favoring the right side a bit more in turns and general handling. Having had 2 Rotopax on my last bike I decided I'd give it a shot. I ordered the 1 gallon water, but received the 2 gallon and decided to go for it. In summary, yes you can totally fit a 2 gallon rotopax in-between the Shad SH-23 and the bike without issue...on just the left side of course

Here were my supplies:

-- 40 bucks ---2 Gallon Water Rotopax (b/c water > than gas with a range of 250 miles...loving this bike)
-- 32 bucks ---Rotopax Standard mount (https://www.amazon.com/RotopaX-RX-PM.../dp/B002TTU96A)
-- 10 bucks ---22 gauge welding steel plate 12x24 inch. I would have preferred 16 gauge, but this was all they had....we'll see how well it holds up
-- Free to me --- Clamp
-- Free -- Truck bed liner for the steel plate; you can use paint, vinyl scrap, or whatever you want to cover it....otherwise will rust.

Here were my tools:
--Tin snips
--File
--Emory Cloth
--Drill and various bits

Two notes about the mount. You might be able to get away with the deluxe (additional handle), but due to the clearance I went with the standard....having had the deluxe before I'd opt for that space permitting. Also, I mounted it in this manner so that the Rotopax couldn't easily be stolen (locking case must come off first).

Method: I used the two bolts that mount the 3p bracket (1 that's into the frame) to hold the steel plate. I then snipped off any extra steel I didn't need, drilled holes for the two bolts, drilled a hole on the left for the clamp (to bring the sheet inward and prevent it from interfering with the chain guard), and then sprayed it with bedliner. See pics. No it's not super pretty, but the bracket is hidden anyway. Hope this helps all the DIYers! Comments welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180930_131231.jpg (145.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_153517.jpg (167.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_131158.jpg (169.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_131237.jpg (163.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20180930_121125.jpg (252.7 KB, 6 views)
notacop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'd prefer the gas over water cus I carry a few water bottles and a 1.5 liter water bag in the tank bag. In the western states it's easy to far from a gas station.
Nice bit of work though and a heads up for other DYI guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode