StromTrooper banner

Fuel pump safety recall

28K views 146 replies 41 participants last post by  TheCondor 
#1 ·
Anyone else get a call from their dealer stating a safety recall? The dealer said that the part will not come in until the middle of October. I haven’t seen an official letter from Suzuki yet. Anyone have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#88 · (Edited)
Service guy gave me a funny suspicious look when I took these, but here you go. Ring looks like round black rubber.

I retract what I said earlier about ignoring the recall. I can now see how it could be twisted and still function reasonably without a major leak. One might have a twisted one and not see immediate evidence, and have a problem down the line. Glad I'm getting it done.

EDIT: If I'm reading the parts diagram correctly, the original part # is 15201-17K01. This is different.

#93 ·
Ok guys another FYI. I called my dealer (excellent dealer in north Jersey) and I asked if I could just have the part and do it myself and they said "no" - which I expected to hear but figured I'd at least ask. I then asked them if they could pick up the bike since it's a recall and I live over an hour away and they said "Of course!". I'm still hesitant about having anyone work on my bike so I'm letting it go for now unless or until I ever hear of one leaking. If/when I do hear of a leak I'll have them do the recall repair. If not, I'm personally not worrying about it - at least for now.

#99 ·
Thanks to Brock, I am not having it done either unless there is an issue or the bike has to go to a dealer for something else. His post #96 with the PDF of what actually went on is telling. Wish it told how many bikes were made that COULD have a problem cause it looks to me like the actual number that have issues is way less than one percent world wide. I can see where a D profile ring could have more issues than an O cross section. Makes me curious to take apart a used oil filter with what l think is an O ring now.

Worst case senario is mine starts to weep, in which case I take the bike in but the chance of fire is very low...show me the piles of burned up Kawasaki C10 concours which have epidemic weeping petcock seals.

But having a shop monkey do this can lead to other issues that may not be serious but anoying and time consuming. I know I had to be careful when torquing the petcock bolts after replacing the O ring seal between the petcock and the tank on the C10. How many shop monkeys are gonna do the torquing order with a torque wrench? Would love to see the recall installation instructions....
(The Spokane Suzuki dealer, when I was looking for a XT, didnt even CARRY Vstroms cause he said they didnt sell...it would be possible to find a dealer where YOU are the ginny pig so I would wait in any case unless the dealer says he has done them before.

#94 ·
OK, finally picked up my bike and learned a couple of interesting things...

• If you don't live in a big city, you may want to wait to let the dealer cut their teeth on other people's V-Strom's. Mine took waaaay too long. I feel like they used my bike as a learning experience and who knows what mistakes they also learned from.
  • They said I definitely had a small fuel leak. I asked if my gasket was twisted and the guy at the counter didn't know.
  • The replacement gasket is thicker, per the dealer. Was told the new gasket plugs things up nicely.

Sounds like this is a job that needs to get done.

#98 ·
Boy I'm glad I told the dealer. Don't let me out this Fing door Again will a recall not done. Took them about a week to get the parts and work done. Even though I feel I got a good deal for the $$. I was just still a little pissed about the first bike I got from them out the door and no recall done. And going through the deal on my 2017 650 I'll never go pack to them. Not even for parts. I even forgot to ask them what the recall was for it all get so dirty. I just wanted to get new bike home and not deal with these clowns again.

#100 ·
Had Fuel Pump O-ring Replaced Today

I dropped my new (got it in late August and only have 850 miles on the odometer) 2017 DL650 off at the dealer (Cycle Country in Salem, Oregon) at 1pm today and they were finished at 3:30pm. Mine was the first recall they'd done so it took longer than expected but I told them I wasn't in a hurry and wanted to be sure everything was done correctly.

The service manager showed be exactly what all they'd be doing and had a mechanic with 30 years experience with Suzuki do the work.

Afterwards I rode for 20 miles and then fueled up and everything seems to be good.

I'm very happy with Cycle Country service and would recommend them. Note: I did not buy my V-Strom from them as they didn't have any 650's in stock when I was in the market.

#101 ·
I dropped my new (got it in late August and only have 850 miles on the odometer) 2017 DL650 off at the dealer (Cycle Country in Salem, Oregon) at 1pm today and they were finished at 3:30pm. Mine was the first recall they'd done so it took longer than expected but I told them I wasn't in a hurry and wanted to be sure everything was done correctly.

The service manager showed be exactly what all they'd be doing and had a mechanic with 30 years experience with Suzuki do the work.

Afterwards I rode for 20 miles and then fueled up and everything seems to be good.

I'm very happy with Cycle Country service and would recommend them. Note: I did not buy my V-Strom from them as they didn't have any 650's in stock when I was in the market.
Glad there are some good dealers out there and I am sure if there were a problem, they would take care of it for you. When you say that they showed you exactly what they were doing, what did they show you? I am still trying to get a handle on what the problem is. There is an "O" ring with a "D" profile. Not sure how its getting twisted but unencombered by the thought process, I have this vision of a tank up side down on a work bench and the fuel pump flange bolts being taken out, the fuel pump lifted straight out, the "O" ring replaced, and the pump set down back into the tank and the bolts re-installed. You can visualize how the old D ring could be installed slightly crooked in any number of ways....A true O ring...for instance in an aluminum oil filter flange on the 1980s Gold Wings and Kawasaki Concours, which used the same cartridge, you put on a bit of silicon grease into the groove and / or on the ring and seat it so it doesnt pop out, then bolt on the flange to a certain torque (light). Hard to twist the O ring in that case.

#102 ·
Chris, one of the issues of being a tech is that you(we) tend not to trust other technician's work unless we are right there, standing right over their shoulder,hoping they dont lose anything, not mar or scratch anything, not leave anything loose, and torque everything. Basically, you just want them to stand aside and let YOU do this yourself.
Trust me, I feel your pain. Ive worked in shops where some ALLEGED techs should have been arrested for impersonating a mechanic.
There are those that can, those that can't, and those that never will. Then you have those that shouldnt have been given a chance in the 1st place.
I got a lot of my work from mechanics in the last 3 categories, so I guess I should have been thankful for that...

#104 ·
O-ring Recall

Chris,

The service manger had the instructions up on his computer and as we scrolled the pages he pointed out the o-ring that was recalled. I asked if I could get a copy of the process (it was a PDF) but he said he wasn't allowed to share the document. ☹

For reference, I do all the maintenance and repairs on all our personal vehicles (Toyota's). I've installed timing belts, water pumps, cv shafts, brakes, etc as I don't think repair shops/dealers could do any better than I can do myself. Today there was a window so I could see the tech working on my bike and he looked to very knowledgeable and professional while working on my bike.

#106 ·
Chris,

The service manger had the instructions up on his computer and as we scrolled the pages he pointed out the o-ring that was recalled. I asked if I could get a copy of the process (it was a PDF) but he said he wasn't allowed to share the document. ☹

For reference, I do all the maintenance and repairs on all our personal vehicles (Toyota's). I've installed timing belts, water pumps, cv shafts, brakes, etc as I don't think repair shops/dealers could do any better than I can do myself. Today there was a window so I could see the tech working on my bike and he looked to very knowledgeable and professional while working on my bike.
Yeah, you sound like me! NO ONE would take the time I took setting the valves of my Kawasaki like the field rep. suggested at the COG owners ralley...ie it is more important to set them a bit on the loose side and try and get each screw ajuster on each fork set the same as its brother....

Interesting about not being able to "share". Law suits and lawyers...Shakespere was right about lawyers....

#107 ·
Documentation is the key to many things concerning vehicles.
Boy, isnt that the truth? I have six vehicles. When I take a car in for service, I have a print out of everything that was done for the last 10 years....if someone trys to sell me a manual transmission oil change and its been done at their dealership recently or its not ready for another 20,000 miles, I just their excrement about it....nicely of course! ;)

#114 · (Edited)
Is there an updated part number? Only one on RM.

12 15201-17K01 O RING, FUEL PUMP $16.32 $13.06

Recall says a set of rings. There are around 4 o-rings in the assembly.

Your Suzuki dealer will replace the fuel pump O-ring set. Depending on which model you own, this procedure
will take approximately 30 to 90 minutes to complete. Parts are available now, and there will be no charge to
you for any recall service-related parts or labor.

#111 ·
Bit the bullet, and had the recall done last week. My service guys (Mountain Motorsports, Marietta) had already done a few, and knocked it out in little over an hour. Said they hadn't seen any issues yet, but recommended the procedure for safety sake.

Side note: they also admonished me about my K&N 138 filter, for various reasons. While I haven't had any issues, I've trusted these guys with my bikes for years,so I'm moving back to OEM... Just sayin...

#113 ·
Jez, a little fuel leak? my KLR is a bomb waiting to happen then...:yikes:

#119 · (Edited)
I'd believe your Suzuki tech.

Under warranty (and even afterwards) I'd NEVER use anything but an oem filter. Ive been involved in more than a few cases where warranty assistance from the vehicle manufacturer was denied because an aftermarket filter leaked enough to lunch the engine.

And for what? The expense of a fluted oil filter cup wrench, a ratchet, extension, and maybe a universal joint?

Provided the filter is correctly installed, you dont even have to think about the oil filter, it's filtration, construction, or operating characteristics. On..and DONE.

True, you cant simply go to your local AutoZone and buy an oem motorcycle oil filter. But I order them online 3 to 5 at a time, saves me time and $$, and running around. In the rare case when Ive run out and forgotten to restock, I'll make a ride of it and pick up an oil filter from the closest dealer.

From the manufacturer's point of view, why would you pay for damage caused by someone else's part?

The last one I remember was the lady that came in with a relatively new Mazda, her car was on the tow hook.
She was pissed, immediately told the service advisor.."My car is making knocking noises, smoking, and IT'S UNDER WARRANTY."
I bring it in, no oil shown on the dipstick, the aftermarket oil filter seal blown out--could have been left loose-- and the service advisor brought her back into my stall to show her. A call to the district rep, "Sorry, not our fault--take it back to whoever changed your oil."
It's your bike(or car), do whatever you want, use whatever you want. You'll do that anyway.
I just prefer oem for various reasons.

#120 ·
The dealer called today. My replacement warranty parts are in. I've scheduled a drop off for Friday afternoon. (we work a half-day on Fridays) They say they need about two hours but I'll just drop it and swing back in Saturday for pick up. I don't know what, if anything, I'll learn through the experience but I'll be sure to post it if I do.

#121 ·
I dropped it off today around 1:30 - 2:00 p.m., then took the wife shopping to pick out a birthday gift. The dealership called me at 3:00 p.m. to tell me it was ready. I went back to pick it up but while the technician rolled it out, I was suiting up and didn't get to speak to him or learn any additional details. The only thing I can confirm is the the paperwork says SAFETY RECALL 2A86-FUEL ORING SET. Part number listed is 15200-07810-RX0. Easy in, easy out.

#124 · (Edited)
I'd be back there in a heartbeat demanding new panels. If there is a problem, I'd contact Suzuki Customer Service, have your complaint documented, and ask for a resolution.
You experience in this recall is the very reason that when I had my ECU recall performed,I explained to the service department that I would be doing all the work except unplugging the old ECU and plugging in the new one to avoid any damage caused by accident or negligence.
Worked like a charm.

#125 ·
After removing the gas tank, I am loathe to let any service tech take off that flimsy plastic in a rush with power tools.

#126 ·
My bike was done a couple of days ago with my assistance.
The O rings are vastly different. The new one has a normal round profile where as the old one has a flat outer edge and the inside edge has small tags at 90 degree intervals. So you can see how it would leak if twisted.
I didn't look too closely at the plastic sleeves so can't comment on the difference if any.
The sleeve orientates the pump into the tank and I assume it also helps avoid sucking air at low levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.