How can i lower this bike - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

How can i lower this bike

Hi,
I am new to here, me and my wife just got 2 vstrom i got 1000 and she got the 650 abs 2017. My wife got the lower seat option and thick boots, she is still missing 1.8 inches to have both feet on the ground safely. Itís important especially since itís our first bike for both of us.
How could we lower the bike another 1.8 inch without affecting the drivability of the bike. Suzuki donít have part available and the dealer where we got them doesnít know what to do about it.
Thank you very much for the help.
Sorry for my poor english, I am french canadian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 09:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Welcome. There are many previous posts on this subject here on the forum. Basically, one can lower the rear pretty easily by 1-1/8" (29mm) by buying the proper links, which are easy to swap out. The front end can be lowered about 22mm or 7/8", roughly. This will give you about an inch overall. Make sure the rear suspension pre-load is turned all the way to the softest position, which may help a bit too, to compress the bike when sitting on it. Some people have removed or cut the rubber bumpers underneath the seat, for another maybe 10mm lower seat height, but make sure there is still a little clearance to the battery if you try this.
If you want to go even lower, you may have to change the springs and shocks on the bike, no idea how feasible this is or whether it might not be easier buying a better fitting bike in this case.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I did see other treads on the subject, but with the option i have seen the drivability seem to be affected a lot am I right?

post #4 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 11:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Get rear end lowering links from Adventure Tech (or Soupy's adjustable ones), then lower the front end to match. Just remember when you're raising your fork tubes in your triple tree, the bike lowers vertically about 90% of the distance that they're sticking up above the tree. In other words, if you raise the fork tubes to stick up 10mm above the tree, you've lowered the front around 9mm. It's geometry.

Also, if you lower the front slightly more than the rear, handling will be improved.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 12:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

I myself was tip-toeing this bike. The dealer drop the front and back suspension about 1" and now, I'm good. It's also my first bike. While it's good to have both feet on the ground, it's not a must (unless you feel you want it). I myself never had a bike with both feet on the ground even in my driving class. Only a ninja 650 2018 is low enough for both feet on the ground. In the end, it's really how you like it, but the lower you'll go, the more drivability it will affect.
post #6 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 12:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
How tall is your wife and inseam size ? Some people are just too short for this bike regardless of
attempts to adjust height lower and still be able to handle well. there is a trade off for sure.

It could be you get the ride height just barely there and then the slow speed maneuvers suffer or cornering feels
sluggish ,even the kickstand will hold the bike more upright and you run the risk of a tip over if on even slightly
uneven ground favoring the right side of the bike.

I'm 6' 1" and my inseam is right at 32" and at 200 lbs I have to dial the rear shock all the way to the softest setting
to flat foot the stance when stopped.

2017 DL 650 , Shad 23 side bags, Givi crash bars, 32 watt LED driving lights ,
Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,
Stock exhaust for now. Yoshimura 3/4 system cooking in the oven.

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
not to be confused with actual motorcycle knowledge"
post #7 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm 5'6 with 30" inseam (with boots) and I had to lower I think 1.5" front and back, which gave me 1" seat height gain. Now, I'm balling with both feet instead of tip toe. It's better then the honda g500 I used during my class from about .25". You can have an idea of fitting through cycle-ergo . com

Bear in mind though, the vstrom on this page stop at 2016, the 2017 model have 0.25" inch lower seat height (can adjust in the options).
post #8 of 27 Old 09-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Apopka Florida NW of Orlando near a twist in the road and a hill on the horizon...
Garage
A 1/4" difference is negligible . Your only going to feel the difference in larger gains.
You can lower the tire pressure and get a 1/4" change in height.
Thick shoes only lend to very weird shifter positions that don't work for more than one
rider. I think If I had been the OP I would have looked much closer at this issue before
writing the check. Many dealers offer Test rides. That may have been an option overlooked here.

Goldwing pegs, silver front fender, Lazer cut aluminum Chain guard, Madstad 20" windshield
light smoke tint , Blu/blk Driven Racing Billet bar ends, Dbl Take adventure mirrors on order,

"any jargon or banter heard on this forum is purely for amusement purposes only.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-30-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I know the issue should of been fixed before the cheque was done, but the saleperson told us that there is no problem, she just had to get lower seat and thick boot. And if it was not enough that she could get a lowering kit no problem....but there is lowering kit for the 2017 and up from suzuki. I was almost wondering if we could cancel the transaction ( the had not been driving at all we took possession wih a trailer ). But cancelling the transaction would mean loosing an apportunity to have an incredible bike at an incredible price.
But for now lowering with the lowering link kit seem to be the only option. We live in the country and we have 5 km of gravel road everything we get out of the house, we are not planning to do dirt road other then that. How would lowering the bike will affect the drivability on gravel and pavement? What should she expect ?
Thank you very much it is appreciated.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-30-2018, 08:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Again your putting her in a situation where the rider height (from seat to the ground) is questionable for safe riding
on ANY surface. Then throw in the loose gravel to the mix. These bikes overall are not real heavy but, if you get the
bike leaning too far to one side you can feel it's somewhat top heavy (more so with 5.3 gallons of gas on board).
So riding on loose gravel or sand means without strong footing a loss of balance or control is much more realistic.

Picture the fact if she was riding this bike even slowly on the gravel road and lost control and it fell over trapping her leg.

What ever you decide to do, Keep the safety of you and your wife as the highest priority. At the very least have her get some miles
behind the bars on solid asphalt to get the feel of this bike and how it works when lowered to your liking.
Big B likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode