DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

4Likes
  • 1 Post By brock29609
  • 3 Post By Yarz1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rigid auxiliary lights

I have some Rigid industries D2's on my car and I find the performance and build quality fantastic. Contemplating what additional lights to put on my bike and open to suggestions. Was considering these:

https://www.rigidindustries.com/igni...t-ignite.html#

I'd like them to work as additional lights to help me be seen around town and then hopefully help light up the side of the road when I am in the country. The D2's are a bit bigger than I would like on the Vstrom and they do not have a low setting.

If you have anything you like and mounting suggestions, please chime in. I do not wish to put crash bars on my bike.
Tia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm interested in what you come up with on these lights. I had the D2's on my watch list for a while but I didn't like the size for a motorcycle. Reading the description on the link you provided, I'm not sure that I understand the mounting options with these lights. Maybe the more knowledgeable will chime in.

edit: On a side note, back in the early days of crappy box-store LED's, I removed the front fork reflectors and mounted a set of said crappy LED's to the reflector bracket. The brackets held up to the weight much better than I anticipated. I eventually scrapped the lights due to the fact that they really didn't illuminate anything. The brackets did fine though, with no cracking from vibration-induced fatigued that I was expecting. They were probably on the bike 10-15 thousand miles. It was an FZ6 so no off-roading was ever considered.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Last edited by scab; 09-23-2018 at 08:27 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 08:38 PM
Stromthusiast!

I love mine mounted here. The aim hasn't budged at all since I mounted them 1,500 miles ago.

scab likes this.

Last edited by brock29609; 09-24-2018 at 01:43 PM.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Argh! The photo isn't showing!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicad View Post
I have some Rigid industries D2's.... Contemplating what additional lights to put on my bike and open to suggestions. ......as additional lights to help me be seen around town and then hopefully help light up the side of the road when I am in the country.
Nicad - those look like nice lights. Rigid does make good stuff. I didn't want to invest that much, so from another posting here about yellow fog lights, I pick up some bright and inexpensive fogs. A few years ago I hung "driving lights" from my hand grips. I used a pulse width modulator to tone them down to about 20% -- slightly dimmer than my low beams. I wired them up so that using two switches I can run them 20% and not blind anyone or using the other switch and bypass the PWM for 100% when no one is around. They help me see at night but I'm not sure they help me get seen in the daytime. So I bought the yellow fog LEDs and hung them on my forks. The bracket that I made uses the fender bolt and the reflector bolt for attaching. Both the upper driving lights and the lower fog lights turn when the forks turn. The headlights always point straight ahead. White lights across the top and yellow across the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7172.jpg (197.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7174.jpg (405.4 KB, 20 views)
SuperG, Nicad and scab like this.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-24-2018, 01:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scab View Post
Argh! The photo isn't showing!
It is now. Not sure what the problem was.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not wanting to dump an bunch of money into LED lights to replace a set of aging Hella incandescent fog light on the BMW I opted for a a set of Tractor Supply Traveller 3" 1200 lumen cubes. $54.99 per set and warranted for a year. I am very pleased with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED lIght.jpg (10.9 KB, 92 views)
post #8 of 8 Old 04-16-2019, 04:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Not wanting to dump an bunch of money into LED lights to replace a set of aging Hella incandescent fog light on the BMW I opted for a a set of Tractor Supply Traveller 3" 1200 lumen cubes. $54.99 per set and warranted for a year. I am very pleased with them.
PerazziMx14, any chance you have a couple of pictures of those mounted on your bike? These appealed to me for a couple of reasons, not the least of which are: a) I can get them locally; and, b) they have Cree lights in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode