XT touring first impressions - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 Old 08-22-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
The Dolomitis have a feature to deal with lid-opening interference. You can remove the entire lid instead of swinging them open.

There is 511 mm of space between the inside lid edges (just a hair under 20.25").

As you can see, they sell nets for the inside of the lids. Super cheap to add to your motostorm.it order. An the internal bags Givi sells for these are great. Not bulky at all.

OK, great! Thanks. Can the bags be switched left and right? (to move the latches to the front?) There may be such a thing as putting a compression strap on the dry bags longitudinally to make them less wide. The Dolimitis have the advantage of being top loaders and bigger to begin with. Another thought is that since the MonoKey Trekkers are sold one bag at a time, If push comes to shove, I could purchase one Monokey after the fact and use that on one side to have access to stuff during the day. I think they take the same PL mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 08-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
Can the bags be switched left and right?
Yes.

Also, my top case you see in the photo can be used as a side-opening side case. Like this...

post #23 of 62 Old 08-22-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Yes.

Also, my top case you see in the photo can be used as a side-opening side case. Like this...

Its kind of too bad you have to by the Dolomitis as a pair because one side opening 30 L and one top openning 36 L may be just the ticket for how I pack.

post #24 of 62 Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
Its kind of too bad you have to by the Dolomitis as a pair...
It would look really odd to have one of each. They're not the same size.

I've never tried it, but I think it's pretty easy to take the top-loading lid off. It was designed with your situation in mind.
post #25 of 62 Old 08-22-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Yes.

It is interesting although probably just an oversite that some of Revzilla pics of the trekker monokey show the side safety latches and some dont. Check out the black vs silver pics.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-33-liter-case
post #26 of 62 Old 08-23-2018, 09:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
If you really want the most usable storage per liter, go with top loaders. These Givi Dolomiti cases pop on/off quickly. I ride only with the top case around town. Side cases only on long trips. I never need all three at once. I also have the soft bag liners for the side cases.

My setup except I havenít bought the top case yet. Iím not a lover of 45 and 50litre top cases.....30 to 35 is fine for me; in fact I may opt for a pelican style rather than another Dolomiti.

Sent from my iPhone8
post #27 of 62 Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I'm late to the party, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have the Kappa K-Venture cases, which are essentially identical to the Givi Trekker Outbacks, except that they use standard Givi Monokey mounts. Edit: I guess I should clarify that while the Kappa cases use standard Givi Monokey racks (PL3112 for '17 Wee), they do not actualy use the Monokey mounting method. Rather, the cases come with an adapter that convert the Monokey racks to the 1/4-turn cam style locking pins.

These, along with a DrySpec D38 bag, and perhaps a tankbag offer a ton of useful storage.

I bought my Givi racks and Kappa cases from Motostrom in Italy.

ETA: Note that I can use the DrySpec bag sitting longways as I'm not 2-up. So no problems opening the cases. These Kappa cases also have the feature where the entire lid can be removed, by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7034.jpg (433.3 KB, 30 views)
fcr likes this.

-Scott

Last edited by ScottKY; 08-23-2018 at 10:31 AM.
post #28 of 62 Old 08-23-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKY View Post
I'm late to the party, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have the Kappa K-Venture cases, which are essentially identical to the Givi Trekker Outbacks, except that they use standard Givi Monokey mounts. Edit: I guess I should clarify that while the Kappa cases use standard Givi Monokey racks (PL3112 for '17 Wee), they do not actualy use the Monokey mounting method. Rather, the cases come with an adapter that convert the Monokey racks to the 1/4-turn cam style locking pins.

These, along with a DrySpec D38 bag, and perhaps a tankbag offer a ton of useful storage.

I bought my Givi racks and Kappa cases from Motostrom in Italy.

ETA: Note that I can use the DrySpec bag sitting longways as I'm not 2-up. So no problems opening the cases. These Kappa cases also have the feature where the entire lid can be removed, by the way.
I have become addicted to tank bags and have them for all my bikes. I did consider putting my camping dry bag long ways and the SW motech system has a way you can even stack bags. I think 38 L is alittle too big for my needs and being weildy. I appreciate your pics and would like pics of other bikes with these types of bags (Whoops...fire started 2 miles away...gotta go.)
post #29 of 62 Old 08-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottKY View Post
...Rather, the cases come with an adapter that convert the Monokey racks to the 1/4-turn cam style locking pins.
The Dolomitis mount this way as well.
post #30 of 62 Old 08-23-2018, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I love that DrySpec bag. It has a rigid plastic inner shell so it holds its shape even when empty.

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode