Vibrations? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Vibrations?

Purchased a 2017 2 weeks ago and have noticed an increase in vibrations in the seat mostly some in pegs and grips. Vibration in the seat is bad enough it becomes uncomfortable in my nether regions after 30 min or so.

Did my 500 mile service yesterday, Amsoil 10w40, wix filter, made a check of fasteners nothing seemed loose. no change in the vibs, and as I have just started to get above 5k rpm seems a bit worse under a load at higher rpms. Idle is a bit lopey but vtwin, doesn't surprise my much, my 05 I think was similar but it's been a few years.
Added some Techron to it last night for shits, maybe the time sitting since the dyno fuel at the factory has partial plugged a injector? fuel mileage is hovering around 60mpg using math.

Thinking a retorque of the engine mounts is a good place to start? Trying to decide if I want to bring it back to the dealer for this as they will probably just blow me off or do it myself.

Does anyone have the engine mounting torque and sequence info on the 17+?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 07-16-2018, 01:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have no abnormal vibrations while riding my 2017 DL650. Its hard to say what your vibration is as there are so many things that it could be. I taught a class on vibration analysis at General Motors. One needs to know the speed where it occurs. Then try to narrow it down to is it road speed related or engine speed related. So, is it a tire out of round or out of balance or is it something in the engine or gear box.

One common problem we have seen is vibration caused by improper chain adjustment. I had this back in 2008 on a new Triumph Tiger I bought. The fix was super simple as I just redid the chain slack and all was well. Its a simple place to start. You don't want the chain too tight or it can do this. Also, too loose is not good either so you have to find the happy spot.

I have a service manual that should get the torque specs but its not with me at the moment. I will try to see if I can get it and give you a number. Meanwhile check that chain. Also, take a look at the tires. And, try to duplicate the vibration and then see if its is the same in different gears or if it changes depending on what gear/RPM you are using.
MAZ4ME likes this.

'17 DL 650 Vstrom, Best value ride of all time. (replaced our '05 Wee)
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050 Feel the Power! Culled from the herd...gone but never forgotten.
BMW K1200 GT, Gone but never forgotten
KLR 650.....
BMW K100 RS, Beautiful German engineering
Husky 250WR, (1986) Last of the real Huskies made in Sweden
Bultaco's ...for those of you who remember....
A long list of so many others.....

Happiness is having a motorcycle with more power than you will ever need.
post #3 of 76 Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Long, vibration related, saga.

I bought a K7 Wee back in 2014 and went through it stem to stern. CA Winter Project. Before I shut it down for its make-over I rode it 4-500 miles and it was very viby. I felt it in the seat, pegs, grips just like you. The mirrors vibrated at freeway speeds and were too blurry to use much. I did some research here and some riders install a 16T front sprocket to drop about 500RPMs at freeway speeds to reduce the vibes so I added that to my refurb list. When I got the bike running again it was still viby but less so on the freeway and it was my first V-Strom (or V-Twin for that matter) and I just learned to live with it as "normal". Since the bike had 80K miles I didn't think of the vibration as a problem.

About a year into running like this I was having trouble with the idle and some other issues and I dug into the throttle bodies. What I found was that the shaft seals and shafts were worn and leaking. It took a few tries but I was able to replace my throttle bodies with lower mileage TBs for a K9. Before I installed them I resynched the butterflies using the procedures documented HERE and HERE. There is no field procedure for synchronizing the throttle plates and Suzuki says to never touch the linkage screws. Once I sync'd and replaced my TBs the vibes were completely gone and the bike ran smooth as silk.

Fast forward to April of this year, I sold the K7 and bought an L4 Wee that is, unfortunately, very viby so I am back to square one. Actually worse because it is more viby than my old K7 ever was. I did some research on Gen2 Wees and the general thinking is that some bikes coming from the factory are noticeably more viby than others, so perhaps that is true of the 2017's as well. I think that somewhere in a Suzuki or Mikuni plant there is some kind of flow-testing, measurement machine for synchronizing the throttle bodies. The measurement for setting the synch between the front and rear throttle plates has a precision of 0.03mm or 0.0012in which is fairly high precision. My hypothesis is that this machine is calibrated after synching so many units or after some fixed period of use. So if your TBs were synch'd right after calibration then your bike runs smooth if your TBs are synch'd just before the calibration you get a viby bike. Luck of the draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWEE View Post
Purchased a 2017 2 weeks ago and have noticed an increase in vibrations in the seat mostly some in pegs and grips. Vibration in the seat is bad enough it becomes uncomfortable in my nether regions after 30 min or so.

(snip)

Thinking a retorque of the engine mounts is a good place to start? Trying to decide if I want to bring it back to the dealer for this as they will probably just blow me off or do it myself.
I'd take it back and complain and see what they say. I agree its very likely they will just blow you off and say it is "normal" but maybe they won't and if you don't ask you won't know. FYI, I think the engine mounts require a special socket to retorque so you'd have to buy that for $50(?). As another poster recommended get the speed at which you are seeing vibrations as that is a big clue and can point to wheels or engine. My L4 has a peak vibe at around 5200RPM which I think is a primary mode for the engine. I am planning on resynching the throttle plates this Winter but I hate the vibes so much I might do it sooner, I will post my results if it works (or doesn't). The definitive test for your bike would be to swap out the throttle bodies with a known good set but I am not sure how practical that would be, especially on a new bike still under warranty.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc

post #4 of 76 Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My mistake for not including the rev range, I mostly notice it between 4500 and 6k, the intensity varies with engine load, worse under load. I have attempted to isolate engine from driveline by simply pulling in the clutch and letting the rpm drop when doing this the vibrations do stop. Chain slack is sitting just about 40mm (measured with bike on side stand). Reving the engine either with bike rolling and clutch in or in neutral the vibs appear in a similar manner.

One thing it did change yesterday was removing the bead seat pad, which helped the "discomfort"

Thanks for the input, I think getting in touch with the dealer and making them aware is the best, and hope they're helpful.

2017 650XT Bumblebee (RIP 9/13/2018)
post #5 of 76 Old 07-16-2018, 12:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

You have engine crash bars? If yes look at them, they can intensify the vibes significantly if they have a harmonic in the frequency range you are using.
VSrider and Griff2 like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 76 Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
You have engine crash bars? If yes look at them, they can intensify the vibes significantly if they have a harmonic in the frequency range you are using.
nope, no crash bars, yet

post #7 of 76 Old 07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Already mentioned but how much slack is in your chain?

post #8 of 76 Old 07-17-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Chain slack is about 40mm,
Running 32 in frt, 36 in rear tire pressure.

post #9 of 76 Old 07-17-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Observations from yesterdays ride home,
I always let the bike hit at least two bars of engine temp before heading out, when cold idle is smooth not elevated rpm just smooth as the temp hits 2 bars the bike starts to have a rougher idle, almost a skip.
wondering if as the ecu leans out the mixture for operating temp I'm getting a lean skip. One of the things that I noticed due to the humidity and temp yesterday here near the ocean, the condensate coming from the exhaust was smooth puffs while under 2 bars, when the idle changed the puffs where much more irregular patterns.

My plan at this point is to ask dealer have a look possible suggest to check throttle body sync and throttle position sensor, if possible adjust to the high (richer) end of the spec. Hate to give too much input and draw them away from actually troubleshooting the issue. We'll see what they agree to...

Will be sure to follow up

post #10 of 76 Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Not sure if chain slack spec is different on the new bikes, but spec for my '09 is .8'' - 1.2'' (20mm-30mm). Chain life is better if run loose, so I've often set it at 1.5'' but I notice more vibration and the bike is herky jerky with on/off throttle. Me and the bike seem happier when the chain is just a bit over 1'' of slack. I don't think this is the source of (most) of your vibration, but you may try tightening the chain a bit.

The vibration isn't normal, the 650 Strom is one of the smoothest bikes out there.

Hopefully the dealer will be of some help, but unfortunately if the problem isn't in the book or on a computer screen most mechanics will have no clue, diagnosing has become a lost art.
suzukik9rider likes this.

2009 Wee Strom ABS (current)
1987 Harley FXR Low Rider Sport (current - with 206K miles)
2009 Aprilia Mana 850, 2006 SV650, 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000 (all sold)
Silver Strom Club Member #11

Wee Farkles: Russell Day Long Seat, Madstad with Moose Adventure Shield +4'', SWMotech Centerstand, 1'' up & back bar risers, Givi XS308 Tankbag, Aprilia mirrors, Framesliders, Fenda Extenda, Elka Shock.

Last edited by om28; 07-18-2018 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode