DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 Old 08-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
EMFL,

Thanks,
I figured out it was the Givi Radiator Guard i put on. At around 5200 RPM i was getting a buzzing sound, turns out the Gasket/ Weather stripping that goes inbetween the Guard and Radiator was not lined up perfectly, slide to one side, so I had metal on metal contact.

SB

Stu Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
From my own personal experiences..

Use to work at a major automotive assembly plant (pickup trucks) and every now or so we would get a truck off the line that had an unusual vibration to the vehicle. If memory serves me about 90% of the time the mechanics would loosen up the exhaust connections and then start the motor, rev it a little, and then shut it off. They would then go back an torque down all the exhaust mounts starting front to back. That would usually fix the issue.

I have seen this on my 2007 Ninja 650R as well. My Scorpion slip on had a gap at the mounting points for the mid pipe. I didn't think much about it and I just tightened everything up. First spin out and the bars and seat were vibrating when they didn't before. I loosened up the attachment and found some washers to fill the gap and then tightened everything back up - working front to back. Everything was smooth again.

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
post #23 of 76 Old 08-10-2018, 03:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Take it back to the dealer. Sometimes they make some serious mistakes assembling these bikes and you may have an improperly functioning brake caliper, unsecured axle or bad bearing.

Suzuki TS400
Jawa CZ350

post #24 of 76 Old 08-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWEE View Post
Purchased a 2017 2 weeks ago and have noticed an increase in vibrations in the seat mostly some in pegs and grips. Vibration in the seat is bad enough it becomes uncomfortable in my nether regions after 30 min or so.
Hmmm... no vibrations here. As a matter of fact, I'm continually amazed at how smooth and refined this machine is at that price point.
post #25 of 76 Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp67 View Post
Hmmm... no vibrations here. As a matter of fact, I'm continually amazed at how smooth and refined this machine is at that price point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTWEE View Post
My mistake for not including the rev range, I mostly notice it between 4500 and 6k, the intensity varies with engine load, worse under load. I have attempted to isolate engine from driveline by simply pulling in the clutch and letting the rpm drop when doing this the vibrations do stop. Chain slack is sitting just about 40mm (measured with bike on side stand). Reving the engine either with bike rolling and clutch in or in neutral the vibs appear in a similar manner.

One thing it did change yesterday was removing the bead seat pad, which helped the "discomfort"

Thanks for the input, I think getting in touch with the dealer and making them aware is the best, and hope they're helpful.
Truly thankful for this forum as I am seemingly having the same issue...

I have a 2017 and have about 400-miles on it. I notice the vibes at the same rev range and they are annoying as hell. I just sold a 2013 CB500F and even at 1K higher on that bike there were nowhere near the vibes. Glad I saw this as I thought it had to be me after reading all of the positive reviews here and in the press about the bike. I also had a couple of low speed (1st gear) backfires. I didn't think much of that at all until I noticed the vibes.

Will call the dealer today and see what they have to say and will stay tuned to this thread.

Best,

Rossi
post #26 of 76 Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi396 View Post
Truly thankful for this forum as I am seemingly having the same issue...

I have a 2017 and have about 400-miles on it. I notice the vibes at the same rev range and they are annoying as hell. I just sold a 2013 CB500F and even at 1K higher on that bike there were nowhere near the vibes. Glad I saw this as I thought it had to be me after reading all of the positive reviews here and in the press about the bike. I also had a couple of low speed (1st gear) backfires. I didn't think much of that at all until I noticed the vibes.

Will call the dealer today and see what they have to say and will stay tuned to this thread.
Have them check the TB lower and upper boots that connect the TB to the cylinder and airbox. I bought my Gen2 650 with only 3700 miles and it was very viby and it turned out that the lower front TB boot was loose, probably shipped that way from the factory. See my post over on the Gen2 forum describing my experience and how I fixed it (also read the whole thread). The dealer won't do anything to check the primary and secondary throttle plate sync but given that your sudden onset of vibrations after the (possibly) intake backfires your boots are probably leaking.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #27 of 76 Old 08-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmfdmf View Post
Have them check the TB lower and upper boots that connect the TB to the cylinder and airbox. I bought my Gen2 650 with only 3700 miles and it was very viby and it turned out that the lower front TB boot was loose, probably shipped that way from the factory. See my post over on the Gen2 forum describing my experience and how I fixed it (also read the whole thread). The dealer won't do anything to check the primary and secondary throttle plate sync but given that your sudden onset of vibrations after the (possibly) intake backfires your boots are probably leaking.
Thanks for this. I was already reading through some of your threads including the one you mention here. Is it safe to assume it's a PITA to get a visual on the boots? If so, I'll leave it to the dealer. Also, just to clarify, I'm not sure how many times I got the backfires but I know that it was at least twice. I don't think the vibes started suddenly after that, just that the first 200-miles or so I never got it into 6th gear at the aforementioned RPM range.

Any reason to check the engine mounts at this point? I'm pretty sure it's a special socket and I don't have the torque values but can find that information if you think it would be helpful. (Anyone here have the socket part number and/or torque values)?

I have an appointment to take the bike in on the 23rd (soonest the local dealer could fit me in).

Thanks again,

Rossi
post #28 of 76 Old 08-11-2018, 03:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Have them check the TB lower and upper boots that connect the TB to the cylinder and airbox. I bought my Gen2 650 with only 3700 miles and it was very viby and it turned out that the lower front TB boot was loose, probably shipped that way from the factory. See my post over on the Gen2[/URL] forum describing my experience and how I fixed it (also read the whole thread). The dealer won't do anything to check the primary and secondary throttle plate sync but given that your sudden onset of vibrations after the (possibly) intake backfires your boots are probably leaking.
Thanks for this. Is it a PITA to get a visual on the boots? If so, I may leave it up to the dealer. (They can't get me in until the 23rd of the month). I think the vibes may have always been there and didn't come on suddenly or after the backfires, it's just that for the first 200-miles or so I never had it up to that rev range or speed. Do you think there's any reason to check the engine mount bolts? I don't have the part number for the socket or the torque values but could get that information if you think it would be helpful (unless someone here has it)!

Thanks again,

Rossi
post #29 of 76 Old 08-11-2018, 05:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi396 View Post
Thanks for this. Is it a PITA to get a visual on the boots? If so, I may leave it up to the dealer. (They can't get me in until the 23rd of the month).
I don't know about the Gen3 but on the Gen2/Gen1 bikes you would have to lift or possibly pull the tank and remove the side panels. On Gen2 to remove the side panels you have to pull the front cowling which is a pain. I don't think an inspection is sufficient, you'll have to get a wrench on the allen head screws for the boot clamps to see if they are loose. There was no gap on the connection between lower rubber boot and the TB but the clamp was completely loose on mine.

Quote:
I think the vibes may have always been there and didn't come on suddenly or after the backfires, it's just that for the first 200-miles or so I never had it up to that rev range or speed.
I see, that makes sense. The motor/frame seems to have a resonance around 5K+/-200 RPM which is aggravated by a leaky TB so maybe you never noticed until now. If you can't/don't wrench then let the dealership fix it, whether you can convince them to do it under warranty is another matter. It won't hurt anything if you wait two weeks.

Quote:
Do you think there's any reason to check the engine mount bolts? I don't have the part number for the socket or the torque values but could get that information if you think it would be helpful (unless someone here has it)!
I doubt it is the engine mount bolts, I'd rule out the TBs first.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #30 of 76 Old 08-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I don't know about the Gen3 but on the Gen2/Gen1 bikes you would have to lift or possibly pull the tank and remove the side panels. On Gen2 to remove the side panels you have to pull the front cowling which is a pain. I don't think an inspection is sufficient, you'll have to get a wrench on the allen head screws for the boot clamps to see if they are loose. There was no gap on the connection between lower rubber boot and the TB but the clamp was completely loose on mine.

I see, that makes sense. The motor/frame seems to have a resonance around 5K+/-200 RPM which is aggravated by a leaky TB so maybe you never noticed until now. If you can't/don't wrench then let the dealership fix it, whether you can convince them to do it under warranty is another matter. It won't hurt anything if you wait two weeks.

I doubt it is the engine mount bolts, I'd rule out the TBs first.

Thanks. The two main mount bolts are a standard 17mm socket and they both appeared tight. I'll peruse the manuals online and see if there are additional mount bolts I can check. I can see the two throttle body boots under the tank and can actually get my fingers on both of them. The boots appear to be on the TB's and the clamps seem tight. I just took it for a quick ride after washing it and it vibrates in pretty much every gear at or above 5K, regardless of the speed. Buzzing like crazy to the point it's a bit uncomfortable to ride. It definitely goes away with the clutch in.

Appreciate all of your help and feedback...

Rossi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode