Puig crash bars on DL650 XT 2017 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By lucsali

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-28-2018, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thumbs up Puig crash bars on DL650 XT 2017

Hej folks,

I'm in the process of toughening up my bike, a DL650 XT from 2017.
Just thought I'd post some pictures for inspiration of those thinking about doing the same..

The crashbar I chose are those made from Puig: motea.com/en/sturzbugel-puig-suzuki-v-strom-650-04-16-schwarz-112960-0 (you'll have to copy paste the URLs, I don't have rights yet to post images / links)

Installation was ok, once I found out how to deal with thread-locker-from-hell.
(Interwebz trick I stumbled upon while frustration was growing - heat up the bolts with a soldering iron for a minute before to attempt taking them off, if they won't buldge. They are kept in place by a very tough thread locker, like a super glue).
And don't attempt installation with bicycle tools, it's much easier giving it the necessary force by using something like this.. harald-nyborg.dk/media/images/800/4147_162930.jpg (for the frame bolts you need a 6mm hex key).

I like the matte black finish, compared to the shiny alternatives. It seems sturdy enough to protect the bike well if need be.
The bars are mounted to the frame, not the engine, with a cross piece connecting both sides, distributing impact stress.
On a test ride I didn't notice any vibrations. I didn't hit highway speeds, though. Fun fact, accidentally dropped it slowly on soft gravel on that very first test ride (facepalm) and guess what, they work! Without panniers on, I could see that the crashbar was the one to hit the ground, hence protecting the engine / tank.

Here a couple of pictures before / after:
photos.app.goo.gl/tvnxKuLrS92rVSY99
photos.app.goo.gl/25Qr8jXSEM8FhnHY9
photos.app.goo.gl/gDSu5UQXbtcdoaHg7
photos.app.goo.gl/B6CfYm744vBY1vzL9
photos.app.goo.gl/kNkcq5SJd9sKfTtTA

Next step is installing a Ravetech skid plate (I'll be posting pictures soon). That plate btw doesn't fit by default with these crash bars, I ordered their adaptor which will hopefully make for a better fit. ravetechmotorcycles.com/store/en/suzuki-dl650-v-strom/3-dlsp.html
LoloPD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I fitted the same bars on my 2017XT.
They fitted like a dream. Absolutely no vibration whatsoever. Look cool too in their Matt Black finish. More durable than gloss!

Sent from my iPhone8
post #3 of 4 Old 07-01-2018, 01:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a brand new set of those still sitting in the box. Can't bring myself to put all that extra weight on the bike. I may resell them.

Do they have a good spot to mount lights in a position that the lights are protected by the bars?

post #4 of 4 Old 07-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
I have a brand new set of those still sitting in the box. Can't bring myself to put all that extra weight on the bike. I may resell them.

Do they have a good spot to mount lights in a position that the lights are protected by the bars?

If you donít mind your lights being low, you could mount them on the cross rail.

Sent from my iPhone8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
crash bars , crashbars , puig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode