***Opinions of other 2017 ADV bikes - Stop hating on the 650xt - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By HanSolo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Talking ***Opinions of other 2017 ADV bikes - Stop hating on the 650xt

I thought this might help anyone shopping for an ADV type bike who might have owned/still owns a late model V-strom. I went shopping for a new bike this year and really wanted something different from my last Strom. I loved the bike, but I've owned 11 Japanese motorcycles and just wanted something "higher quality" with more power, capability, yet similar mpg. What I quickly found out was that most anything else in the category was $3K-$5K more and often built for a much larger rider. I'm 5'6 145 lbs and find my new 2017 650XT to fit just right and have a ton of power up to the legal limit. If you're "heavy" then buy a different bike, but don't say it's under powered....it's just not built for your frame. I've taken it off-road on steep hills with gravel, corrugations, and potholes without issue and split lanes daily so I'm not quite sure why people think it can't perform as well as other ADV bikes 99% of the time. Bikes I considered in this category & my thoughts:

2017 Triumph Tiger 800 XcX - Shop wanted about $13.5 plus tax/etc. ($14.5 OTD). I test rode 3 separate Tiger 800s and each of them had a high pitched whine so annoying I wanted to stuff my ears with cotton. I really really wanted to like this bike, but wth!? They need to fix this. I'm not talking about that "whirl" badass sound, this was nails on the chalkboard high pitched shrill. Bike had some great top end power and better bite on the brakes, but ultimately didn't feel much different than the 17 Strom XT (other than being taller) and couldn't justify the cost difference.

2017 BMW F800GS - Dealer wanted $13K plus tax/etc. (base model only, adv + $2k). Didn't get a chance to ride, but sat too tall anyway. Looks badass but even base model OTD is about $14K

2017 Triumph Scrambler - Shop wanted about $10.5 plus tax/etc ($12K OTD). The test ride: Felt under-powered, buzzy, and "wobbly". I just didn't care for the parallel twin's character...though I do think it looks bad-ass in green. Not quite in the same category I know.

2017 Honda Africa Twin - A bit too tall and just didn't care for the graphics. Could have worked out to $13K OTD, but after my parallel twin experience with the Triumph was concerned I wouldn't like any parallel twin engine and due to popularity was unable to test ride one.

2017 KTM Adventure - $17K OTD though this is in a different league I suppose made for tall riders doing most dirt ja?

2017 Vstrom 1000 XT - $13K OTD - Test ride - Felt a bit too big to me and personally I hated the hydraulic clutch; also less ground clearance. Better bet for "heavy" riders though.

Also considered the Duc Multistrada (not enough ground clearance) and Duc Scrambler Eunduro (muffler too low) but both seemed overpriced to me.

Personal opinions of course again based on my size/weight and owning about a dozen bikes over the years. Enjoy what you've got or go test ride a '17/'18 strom...still the best bang/buck imo....the grass is not always greener
Oldad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wasn’t aware the 1000 has less ground clearance, you sure about that?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yep! From Suzuki's site, though with pre-load YMMV.

2017 vstrom 650 xt Ground Clearance 170 mm (6.7 in.)
2018 vstrom 1000 xt Ground Clearance 165 mm (6.5 in.)

post #4 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 04:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

HS, let me congratulate you on being happy with your new bike! Motorcycle-wise, not too many things I hear worse than somebody complaining about their new ride.
6'1" 225, my Vstrom1000 fits me perfect, and I am more than pleased with my DL1K.
But... had the '17 650 been out when I bought my new/leftover '14 1000 I could have easily been happy with the 650.
The updates to the '17 from the '12-'16 models, as good as that bike was, would have suited me just fine.
I love the torque and power delivery of the 1000, but that 650, to me, is electric-motor smooth everywhere.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
...after my parallel twin experience with the Triumph was concerned I wouldn't like any parallel twin engine and due to popularity was unable to test ride one.
Don't knock a parallel twin. The ones on my '13 Bonneville and '15 Versys were great. The Scrambler and new Bonnevilles have a 270-degree crank motor. My '13 Bonnie had a 360-degree crank. The difference between the two are night and day (360 sooo much more character).

Bottom like, not all parallel twins are the same or even similar.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-23-2018, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Han,

Nice write up !!
I to just picked up a new 2018 650 XT. Curious, if your in Nor Cal, where did you Buy? I picked mine up in San Jose, pretty pricey in the Bay area.....picking it up next Sat...SB
post #7 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Stuball - Bay Area, purchased at GP Sports...agreed...pricey but not as bad as Euro bikes or others. Did you get yellow or white? I went the '17 route as they didn't have black for '18 and also discounted it. Let me know if you want to ride sometime! brock29609 - Duly noted; I wish I could have test ridden a multitude of other bikes...my wallet is glad I did not though
post #8 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Han,

I opted for the 2018 Yellow/Gold..., GP Moto...yea, I''l be up for a ride at some point, have some farkles on the way,
Givi Crash Bars, SW Motech Centerstand, radiator guard, Tank Bag etc.
I live in Santa Cruz so will be hitting highway 9, Skyline, North Coast Pescadero/ Alices/ Big Sur.....we should get a ride in for sure....SB
post #9 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 03:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have owned a few of the bikes you mention, and test driven a few more... I am not either very big: 178cm/80kg, but is quite comfortable on a large bike as long as the terrain does not get too bad.
My previous bikes:
Triumph Tiger 800XC: A really nice bike, both on- and off-road. Nice engine and very capable, but got a little boring in the long run. Opposite from you, I like the whining sound from the triple.
KTM Adventure (990): One of my all time favorites! Quite good for longer trips and a monster on gravel roads. Riding with wheel spin on a nice gravel road in 160km/h is FUN. Expensive to keep running and made you drive like a hooligan.
Ducati Multistrada 1200: More tourer than adventurer. Not the best on gravel and single tracks, but the engine is wonderful. Have not tried the “S” unfortunately. Drinks a lot of fuel.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Welfare Funder

subd to read later

2K7 Wee Strom - MadStad, Givi E52, AdMoreLighting LEDS, Power Outlet, Joe Rocket Tank Bag, Cali-Sci Windscreen (Med), Lowering Links, Center Stand, Richland Fork brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode