StromTrooper banner

T Rex Racing Crash Bars

36K views 82 replies 37 participants last post by  EBRAddict 
#1 · (Edited)
I IJust pick these up today locally here in Dallas. These things look really nice and seem to be sturdy. They even have a little metal piece that is replaceable and in the event of a tip over the little replaceable piece takes the damage and not the bars. Tested them out at about 90mph and I couldn't tell of any vibration or anything. I know the givi connect to the small 4 Allen bolts at the frame. These attach to the main rod that runs across the bike and one of those smaller Allen bolts.
Paid $169 for them.

And I got a t shirt and some stickers

See less See more
#52 ·
I contacted them and they said the 2012+ was not on the site right now. But they do have them.
email was:

Thanks for reaching out to us. The listing for this item is currently being updated. Its part number is N61-12EG and it is priced at $189.99. Attached is a picture of the product.

The pic they attached looks the same as the first ones posted by the OP.

#8 ·
LMAO!

Wish I had a dollar for every time I went to put a foot down either to have it land in a hole, oil, coolant, mud, or just loose gravel and begin to feel the bike fall over. Quite a few times where I ended up in a Mexican Standoff for a minute or so - not enough strength to get it back up right but not willing to drop it either.

#5 ·
Thanks for the heads up and pics. If it's not too much trouble, could you take a few pics specifically of where an how they mount? I tried to sort it out from the pics but I feel like I'm missing something. Cheers.

#9 · (Edited)
So the ones I had originally installed were for the previous model year (2016). I sent them an email because I thought they were really close to an area where they shouldn't be. They apologized and let me know they gave me the wrong ones. I removed them and exchanged them for the correct year bars (2017). These actually look better and I like how they mount at two locations across the front. Very cool!

I also got a good look at their skid plate that is coming out. Not only is it the best looking skid plate IMO but it also mounts to the frame and not the engine or crash bars. As soon as its released I'm getting one.

They also said they are updated and totally revamping their website.

#15 ·
Is the 14 different than the 16? Im pretty sure its the same thing. And if it is than they do have some for that bike. Maybe send them a picture of the ones I originally had on my bike and ask them about it. Im sure they remember me and will know what you are talking about. I was just in there exchanging the bars 2 days ago.

#21 ·
Darn. Wish these T-Rex folks made crash bars for my '07 DL1000. Both sides are bent, but the right one is getting really close to the plastic.

I have Givi crash bars. I looked into un-bending them. Would take more time and effort than it's worth, as well as the cost of re-powdercoating afterwards.

The T-Rex bars for the DL650 are competitive in price, and look like they'd offer more protection than the Givi bars.

#23 ·
They have a pretty good install video on YouTube. Although this shows the first set of bars the OP got, but says it's for the 2017. I'm sure the install is the same (and looks pretty dang easy).

Also, a video posted today, shows the install for their engine guard. Looks like it might be available now based on the comments?? I already sent in my pre-order email :)

EDIT: the skid plate video was not from today, it was from June 23 2017....In the comments from 6 months ago it also says they are updating their website. At first I was excited, now I'm not so sure. Either way the products actually look pretty stellar. And the pricing is as good as it can get.

#24 · (Edited)
I wonder what skid plates this would work with. From your pictures, the bar that runs left-right just in front of the engine seems to be higher up than others. And since this is where a lot of skid plates mount to, it could limit the selection quite a bit. It also looks skinnier than the rest of the tubing, but maybe that's the picture.

I'm in the process of selecting a crash bar/skid plate combo, and I really like these bars but when I called yesterday they said their skid plate is a few months away from production.

I'd really like the ravetech skid plate but I'm not sure it'll work with these bars.

#28 ·
My T-Rex crash bars arrived today. Installation was easy, mostly because I had my computer in the garage with me so I could play the installation video as it didn't come with instructions. FWIW, I'm the guy who has to remind himself righty tighty; lefty...well you get my point. It took almost as long to unpack them as it did to install them - those T-Rex folks really packed it well, I'm not too sure a drunk gorilla could have damaged them in the box.

As I was finishing up and tightening each bolt after the bars were installed my daughter walks out in the garage and tells me that they look like they were made for the bike. It was as positive of an endorsement as I could have hoped for. Like virtually everyone else who buys a farkle, I am biased to like the one that I purchased, but I have to say in all honesty, these seem like really nice bars.
They may be a little to high for highway bars, but that is what a bash plate is for, right?

I wasn't to sure I'd like the slider pucks from the video and few pictures that I've seen online of the bars, but they aren't too bad at all.

Next farkle for me will likely be some auxiliary lights, mounted to these bars. The way these '17 650 turn signals are so low on the bike will deter me from mounting lights up high on the bike so I'll opt for the 'triangle' for daytime conspicuity and will find a nice solution mounting them to these bars. I think I found a decent spot to mount them where they'll be protected (mostly) in the event of a drop; time will tell.

Anyone that lives near Tampa who wants to watch someone fry a bike's wiring harness while trying to install some lights should send me a PM, this could get entertaining...

#31 ·
Loving my T Rex Racing Crash bars. They fit the bike perfectly, have great coverage and appear to be very strong compared to some other competitors. I've also noticed significant improvement in the wind protection for my legs.

T Rex just released a skid plate for the Wee, but the page is hard to find/not linked correctly yet on their site, so here is the page extension:

t-rex-racing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=N63-17SP

(Note that I dropped the web page prefix, as I can't post links or pictures yet,.)

I just received my skid plate, and it also appears to be quite well built and sturdy, but haven't fully installed it yet as I can't seem to get the right leverage to remove the back left side bolt that holds one of the mounting brackets. Will post pics of the entire setup as soon as I have it, (and after a few more posts to the forum).

Attachments

#32 ·
I'm going to get the skid plate soon but first I need luggage. I saw that the skid plate attaches to the same bolt that goes through the motor. I hardly had enough room to install my washers on that bolt. Not sure how I can fit another piece of metal on there. I guess it comes with another bolt that's longer maybe

#33 ·
The skid plate connection mounts actually replace the existing spacers that came with the crash bars.

They did provide a second engine through-bolt with the skid plate, but since I had already had the crash bars mounted, I progressively loosened the nuts holding the existing through-bolt, the front bolts under the beak, and the upper hex bolts attached to the frame. I then detached the cross bar in front of/below the radiator and loosened the beak connection and upper hex bolts as much as I could without completely removing them. Finally, I completely removed the through-bolt nuts + washers, which gave me enough play on each side to pivot the crash bars slightly and remove the existing spacers one at a time, replacing them with skid plate mounts/spacers.

I agree the through-bolt seemed a bit short with all the washers when mounting, but everything tightened up just fine and seems solid.

Just emailed T-rex to inquire if the skid plate through-bolt is any longer than the one that came with the crash bars. Will post their reply, but I suspect they are the same length.

#35 ·
Their website is fixed. Looks nice now. I still dont have a skid plate though. I have decided that I am not going to offroad this bike and Im going to pick up a little 250cc enduro to go offroad. But I still plan on putting on a skid plate. Not sure if Im going to get this trex one or maybe the weld86.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2017-2018-V-Strom-650-Skid-plate-p/n63-17sp.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.