T Rex Racing Crash Bars - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 67 Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Onboard Mass Damper

Garage
Darn. Wish these T-Rex folks made crash bars for my '07 DL1000. Both sides are bent, but the right one is getting really close to the plastic.

I have Givi crash bars. I looked into un-bending them. Would take more time and effort than it's worth, as well as the cost of re-powdercoating afterwards.

The T-Rex bars for the DL650 are competitive in price, and look like they'd offer more protection than the Givi bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 67 Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBike View Post
Darn. Wish these T-Rex folks made crash bars for my '07 DL1000. Both sides are bent, but the right one is getting really close to the plastic.

I have Givi crash bars. I looked into un-bending them. Would take more time and effort than it's worth, as well as the cost of re-powdercoating afterwards.

The T-Rex bars for the DL650 are competitive in price, and look like they'd offer more protection than the Givi bars.
Just get a 650.....problem solved.
Scott F and DesertBike like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #23 of 67 Old 06-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
They have a pretty good install video on YouTube. Although this shows the first set of bars the OP got, but says it's for the 2017. I'm sure the install is the same (and looks pretty dang easy).

Also, a video posted today, shows the install for their engine guard. Looks like it might be available now based on the comments?? I already sent in my pre-order email

EDIT: the skid plate video was not from today, it was from June 23 2017....In the comments from 6 months ago it also says they are updating their website. At first I was excited, now I'm not so sure. Either way the products actually look pretty stellar. And the pricing is as good as it can get.
DaveG99 likes this.

post #24 of 67 Old 06-28-2018, 04:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I wonder what skid plates this would work with. From your pictures, the bar that runs left-right just in front of the engine seems to be higher up than others. And since this is where a lot of skid plates mount to, it could limit the selection quite a bit. It also looks skinnier than the rest of the tubing, but maybe that's the picture.

I'm in the process of selecting a crash bar/skid plate combo, and I really like these bars but when I called yesterday they said their skid plate is a few months away from production.

I'd really like the ravetech skid plate but I'm not sure it'll work with these bars.

Last edited by DavidDavid; 06-28-2018 at 10:38 PM.
post #25 of 67 Old 06-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

I really like these; thanks for posting.
If for no other reason, these seem to provide a great mounting option for auxiliary lights - away from the low-mounted turn signals on the 2017 bikes.
I may have to pick up a set.
DesertBike likes this.
post #26 of 67 Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just ordered a set.
Will probably stick some lights on them after then arrive, and possibly some highway pegs if the geometry is right to use them.
DesertBike likes this.
post #27 of 67 Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The skid plate isn't available yet. As soon as it is I'm buying one.

And yes these bars have a nice spot for mounting lights right up front. I'm going to do the same.
Scott F likes this.
post #28 of 67 Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

My T-Rex crash bars arrived today. Installation was easy, mostly because I had my computer in the garage with me so I could play the installation video as it didn't come with instructions. FWIW, I'm the guy who has to remind himself righty tighty; lefty...well you get my point. It took almost as long to unpack them as it did to install them - those T-Rex folks really packed it well, I'm not too sure a drunk gorilla could have damaged them in the box.

As I was finishing up and tightening each bolt after the bars were installed my daughter walks out in the garage and tells me that they look like they were made for the bike. It was as positive of an endorsement as I could have hoped for. Like virtually everyone else who buys a farkle, I am biased to like the one that I purchased, but I have to say in all honesty, these seem like really nice bars.
They may be a little to high for highway bars, but that is what a bash plate is for, right?

I wasn't to sure I'd like the slider pucks from the video and few pictures that I've seen online of the bars, but they aren't too bad at all.

Next farkle for me will likely be some auxiliary lights, mounted to these bars. The way these '17 650 turn signals are so low on the bike will deter me from mounting lights up high on the bike so I'll opt for the 'triangle' for daytime conspicuity and will find a nice solution mounting them to these bars. I think I found a decent spot to mount them where they'll be protected (mostly) in the event of a drop; time will tell.

Anyone that lives near Tampa who wants to watch someone fry a bike's wiring harness while trying to install some lights should send me a PM, this could get entertaining...
post #29 of 67 Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
My T-Rex crash bars arrived today. Installation was easy, mostly because I had my computer in the garage with me so I could play the installation video as it didn't come with instructions. FWIW, I'm the guy who has to remind himself righty tighty; lefty...well you get my point. It took almost as long to unpack them as it did to install them - those T-Rex folks really packed it well, I'm not too sure a drunk gorilla could have damaged them in the box.

As I was finishing up and tightening each bolt after the bars were installed my daughter walks out in the garage and tells me that they look like they were made for the bike. It was as positive of an endorsement as I could have hoped for. Like virtually everyone else who buys a farkle, I am biased to like the one that I purchased, but I have to say in all honesty, these seem like really nice bars.
They may be a little to high for highway bars, but that is what a bash plate is for, right?

I wasn't to sure I'd like the slider pucks from the video and few pictures that I've seen online of the bars, but they aren't too bad at all.

Next farkle for me will likely be some auxiliary lights, mounted to these bars. The way these '17 650 turn signals are so low on the bike will deter me from mounting lights up high on the bike so I'll opt for the 'triangle' for daytime conspicuity and will find a nice solution mounting them to these bars. I think I found a decent spot to mount them where they'll be protected (mostly) in the event of a drop; time will tell.

Anyone that lives near Tampa who wants to watch someone fry a bike's wiring harness while trying to install some lights should send me a PM, this could get entertaining...
They are great looking bars. And very sturdy too. Im hoping they release the skid plate soon. And the price cant be beat plus you are supporting an American company based in Dallas Texas.
post #30 of 67 Old 08-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDavid View Post
I wonder what skid plates this would work with. From your pictures, the bar that runs left-right just in front of the engine seems to be higher up than others. And since this is where a lot of skid plates mount to, it could limit the selection quite a bit. It also looks skinnier than the rest of the tubing, but maybe that's the picture.

I'm in the process of selecting a crash bar/skid plate combo, and I really like these bars but when I called yesterday they said their skid plate is a few months away from production.

I'd really like the ravetech skid plate but I'm not sure it'll work with these bars.
FYI this will work with the Ravetech skid plate if you make your own brackets.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode