Aftermarket exhaust - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Aftermarket exhaust

Is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 2017 650? Looking for some more sound than stock and reducing the size and weight of the giant stock exhaust would be nice as well

Last edited by DaveG99; 05-06-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-08-2018, 01:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Is there an aftermarket exhaust for the 2017 650? Looking for some more sound than stock and reducing the size and weight of the giant stock exhaust would be nice as well

I imagine there are a lot of eyes watching for a positive response to this.
Saving several kg and having a better (doesnít mean louder) exhaust note will be worth the not inconsiderable investment.
Hereís hoping.........

Sent from my iPhone8
post #3 of 47 Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Aftermarket exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post

Akrapovic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Inpitt/Mac50 likes this.

post #4 of 47 Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The problem with aftermarket exhaust is that they don't really add power. They can reduce weight. The biggest issue is cost, as the affordable brands are usually the loud ones. Akrapovic is a very good brand and not obnoxious. You might get light headed when you price one!

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 47 Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCamiguin View Post
Akrapovic

Officially listed for the 2017 now?

Sent from my iPhone8
post #6 of 47 Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
When you say you're looking "more sound" are you saying louder sound? Never saw the attraction of loud, though it seems to be quite popular with the Harley crowd.
Spec and WingVetteStrom like this.
post #7 of 47 Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloPD View Post
Officially listed for the 2017 now?

Sent from my iPhone8

Oo.... well, the website says 2018. Not sure where to find actual stock.

It's one of those things that if I have to replace it, I will. Looks smaller than on my 2012.

post #8 of 47 Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm very surprised to see basically no aftermarket offerings out there for this bike, considering it's been out for well over a year now. I put a slip-on on both of my SV650s, the v-twin sounds incredible uncorked a bit. Sure there is minimal power difference but the sound can't be beat. I will pay attention to this thread as the stock can while it isn't an eyesore, it could stand to let the motor "bark" a bit more.

2017 V-Strom 650 - Awaiting many farkles.....
post #9 of 47 Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The design of the 2017+ and 2012+ DL650s were not done with ease of aftermarket exhaust in mind. You can't just add a "slip on" muffler, which is the bread and butter of after market companies.

https://www.suzukipartsnation.com/oe...9ff007/muffler

The link works better than the picture to show the problem. To replace that muffler you have to replace all the exhaust pipe that is welded to it as well. That is a lot of pipe and it does not fit inside a reasonable size shipping container.

It is possible to convert your stock exhaust internals to a fiberglass packed style exhaust. It would give you the sound you want, cost a very small fraction of what an aftermarket exhausr would cost, and make for a pretty cool DIY thread here on the forum.

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=1782.0

Very Cool.

Last edited by richlandrick; 05-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.
post #10 of 47 Old 05-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
The design of the 2017+ and 2012+ DL650s were not done with ease of aftermarket exhaust in mind. You can't just add a "slip on" muffler, which is the bread and butter of after market companies.

The link works better than the picture to show the problem. To replace that muffler you have to replace all the exhaust pipe that is welded to it as well. That is a lot of pipe and it does not fit inside a reasonable size shipping container.

It is possible to convert your stock exhaust internals to a fiberglass packed style exhaust. It would give you the sound you want, cost a very small fraction of what an aftermarket exhausr would cost, and make for a pretty cool DIY thread here on the forum.

Very Cool.
I see, didn't realize it was as complicated of a design. At the very least it looks like you don't have to cut the exhaust like I did on the SV650. That's always a bit unnerving hacking up the OEM system.

2017 V-Strom 650 - Awaiting many farkles.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode