Has anybody changed the gearing (sprockets) - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Has anybody changed the gearing (sprockets)

On my last wee 650 I went up one tooth on the front sprocket. I swear I was able to see 59 mpg. I don't remember what model year that was but I know it was a first gen. Has anybody done this on there 3rd gen? How many teeth is the stock sprock? They are less than $20 so I think it is worth a try. It wouldn't mess with the speedo would it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
No answer for your first two questions, but I remember reading somewhere on here that the speedo on the newer models runs off the front sprocket so it likely would mess with it's reading.

Sorry I don't know more.

-Forithan

'03 Shadow VLX
'09 VStrom DL650A
post #3 of 14 Old 05-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

15 believe is stock. Fuel economy really should not be a worry IMO. The strom gets really good fuel economy.

I put a 16 tooth on my KLR, help kick the rpms down about 400. Geat becuse the KLR is a five speed. As for off roading you want to reduce the front sproket teeth for more pulling torque.

Many factors will reduce you mpg.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forithan View Post
No answer for your first two questions, but I remember reading somewhere on here that the speedo on the newer models runs off the front sprocket so it likely would mess with it's reading.

Sorry I don't know more.

If it's like my 2012, it read high anyway and might make it more accurate. I regularly got 58+ mpg with it though and saw no need to change from stock. It seems the Wee 3 may not get quiet as good with the new front end. I'll find out soon enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 14 Old 05-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1000 View Post
On my last wee 650 I went up one tooth on the front sprocket. I swear I was able to see 59 mpg. I don't remember what model year that was but I know it was a first gen. Has anybody done this on there 3rd gen? How many teeth is the stock sprock? They are less than $20 so I think it is worth a try. It wouldn't mess with the speedo would it?

The OEM 15 tooth causes the speedo to read about 8% high.

On my Gen 2 650 changing the front to a 16 tooth made the speedo pretty close to accurate.
Slows the ODO a bit though.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #6 of 14 Old 05-04-2018, 09:51 PM
$tromtrooper

I do a lot of off road so I went the other way - 14T front and my speedo is 10mph off. It does not matter because I run a GPS 100% of the time. If you run a lot of slab, then a 16T is a good choice and speed will be close.

15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #7 of 14 Old 11-10-2019, 11:02 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

The stock is a 15. I went to a 16. I love it. And I would not go back. I travel on mine. It reduces the rev's and make for a more relaxing ride.
Taidog1, notacop, Hogges and 2 others like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 12:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

The 2017 should get it's pulse from the front ABS sensor so a sprocket change should have affect on the speedo.

You will get a lower RPM but no saving in fuel consumption.

It is hard to believe but often you will have the throttle open further to maintain your speed or build spedd just to make up for the higher gearing.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put a 16 tooth countershaft sprocket on my new 2018 at 600 miles. Average gas mileage after 7378 miles is 50.8 with a low of 42 and a high of 61. Approximately 1000 miles of that is riding double with my wife. Sedillo Hill east of Albuquerque on I40 is a pretty good grade and with my wife on the back at 80 mph on the hill we could still accelerate. Perhaps if there is another analytical Strom rider with a 15t tooth sprocket they could tell us what there average mileage has been over a few thousand miles. I confess to being a number cruncher and I keep a spreadsheet record of every gas stop.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I went from 15T to 16T on a 2018 DL650. RPM went down about 250. Not sure if mpg changed or not. There's no guarantee mpg will get better as it takes more HP to drive higher gearing. I like the lower RPMs for cruising and also of course less chain wear.
RLBranson likes this.

2018 V-Strom 650XT
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
2015 Z51 Corvette Stingray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode