StromTrooper banner

GPS Mount on '17 Strom 650

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Dundee 
#1 ·
Just got in Rck's (from AdventureTech), lowering links, and GPS mount. Threw on the mount this afternoon, and like everything else Rick fabricates, it's perfect. Places the GPS in the most optimum position with no buzz, rattle, or vibe...

I used Rick's GPS mount on a 2013 Strom as well, and this newer version for the '17 and '18 is just as well made, and thought out.... It takes the GPS off the handlebars, and puts it right in your line of sight... Took no more than 3 minutes to install.
I'll be putting on the links later this week...

See less See more
#2 ·
Fitment question with aftermarket windshield:

I'm using a National Cycle V-Stream windshield, medium size, installed using the middle set of mounting bracket holes.

Has anyone has tried installing this GPS bracket with a V-Stream windshield? Are there any fitment issues that I should be aware of?

The V-Stream has it's own spacers and longer screws, which stick out behind the windshield mounting bracket when fully tightened. There is enough extra length that I've added the OEM rubber caps back on the ends of the screws. So I'm wondering if the install will be simply drop the GPS bracket in between the windshield mounting bracket and the V-Stream spacers (plug and play, as shown with the stock screen), or if I'm going to have spacer and/or mounting screw length issues with this particular windshield?

I do not want to move the windshield higher or lower in the mounting bracket, as the middle position is ideal.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Last March, I ordered Rick's GPS mount, and I love it. Like Rick had said, it's the best position for a phone or gps; if you have a phone or gps on your handlebars, your eyes spend more time off the road looking down at your phone/gps. But with Rick's GPS mount, I find I can still see the road from my "peripheral" vision when looking at the phone (I use maps). And the quality is top notch. Love it!!

#7 ·
I also installed Rick’s mount. I have a Madstad windshield and had no problems with the install. I like the position; easy to glance down to see.

The only GPS issue I have is reflection off the screen, which has nothing to do with the mount or position. I’ve had this problem on my goldwing as well. Seems my high vis jacket reflects yellow off the screen making it a little hard to read. Minor inconvenience.

I have installed several products from Adventuretech and found the install instructions very good and the products of very good quality.

#9 ·
I bought this mount for my 2018 dl650 as well and it looks great out of the box but when I went to install it the mounting holes did not line up with the screw holes. I also found that the mount was flat while the lower holes on the motorcycle were a few mm away from being directly below the upper holes, they are recessed a bit.

I have added a link to pics here: Photos of mount is there some magic I am missing to get it to fit?

#10 ·
Just got in Rck's (from AdventureTech), lowering links, and GPS mount. Threw on the mount this afternoon, and like everything else Rick fabricates, it's perfect. Places the GPS in the most optimum position with no buzz, rattle, or vibe...

I used Rick's GPS mount on a 2013 Strom as well, and this newer version for the '17 and '18 is just as well made, and thought out.... It takes the GPS off the handlebars, and puts it right in your line of sight... Took no more than 3 minutes to install.
I'll be putting on the links later this week...

I added two extra 6mm 1.0 screws to the two upper middle holes that aren't used to hold the windshield.
This allows the bracket to remain mounted when removing the windscreen.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Bumper

Reactions: Dundee
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.