Haynes manual for '17 DL650XT - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Post Haynes manual for '17 DL650XT

Hey folks,
First of all, yes, I read the comments in other threads, this post is not about asking a link to a digital download.
I just bought a DL650XT from 2017, and I'm considering buying a manual to learn the details about my bike's maintanence, and help troubleshooting issues while on the road in future trips.

A fellow motorcyclist pointed me to Haynes manuals, apparently really good in terms of the mechanical jobs described, and because they describe tasks from an owner point of view, and not with the prerogative of having access to factory tools / machinery.

However, I could only find a manual for up to the 2013 version of the bike.

Are there any other manuals out there that you recommend? Would a 2013 manual apply to a 2017 bike? (considering the many changes that were made, even from the 2016 model)

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
richlandrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
As the owner of a 2017XT wanting to do my own maintenance, I’ll be keen to see positive responses to this question too.

Sent from my iPhone8
post #3 of 32 Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Only thing I have to say about manuals for the average DIY person...most of your work will be very basic. The manuals are overkill for just changing your oil or adjusting your change. You are as well off with your owners manual and maybe some Youtube stuff. That said, I have the factory manuals for each and every bike I have. For me, a long time professioal, I like the factory books better than the "after market" stuff. But that is me.
locoblanco likes this.

'17 DL 650 Vstrom, Best value ride of all time. (replaced our '05 Wee)
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050 Feel the Power! Culled from the herd...gone but never forgotten.
BMW K1200 GT, Gone but never forgotten
KLR 650.....
BMW K100 RS, Beautiful German engineering
Husky 250WR, (1986) Last of the real Huskies made in Sweden
Bultaco's ...for those of you who remember....
A long list of so many others.....

Happiness is having a motorcycle with more power than you will ever need.

post #4 of 32 Old 02-20-2018, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Hans, that is me as well. To me, the worlds best owner's manual is the factory shop manual. You dont absolutely have to own the factory tools, there are usually work-arounds. But having all the service specs easily accessed alone is worth the money. The non-tech can pick and choose what he wants to tackle, and leave the rest for the professional. I would rate the Haynes manual 2nd to the factory manual, with Clymer better than nothing.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucsali View Post
A fellow motorcyclist pointed me to Haynes manuals, apparently really good in terms of the mechanical jobs described, and because they describe tasks from an owner point of view, and not with the prerogative of having access to factory tools / machinery.

However, I could only find a manual for up to the 2013 version of the bike.
Holly cow... I'm so glad to know there's a Haynes manual out for our bikes! That's a great value for $30 bucks! Haynes manuals usually have all the right fluid capacities and torque specs, so I don't see them any less useful than a factory manual, which is much more expensive.

So glad you guys made note of this. thanks a lucsali and gang!

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)

Last edited by MariusD; 02-20-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 02-20-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thanks for the opinions, folks. I'll see if I can get my hands on a factory manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Holly cow... I'm so glad to know there's a Haynes manual out for our bikes!
being a newbie I can't post links, so here a pseudo URL haynes_com/en-gb/suzuki/dl650/2004-2013
richlandrick likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

I was about to place an order for a Suzuki Service Manual for my 2018 1000XT, but it looks like it covers a bunch of years. I was hoping it was specific for the new models without having the info for the others mixed in. I've always done my own maintenance, repairs, and modifications, so I should probably order it anyway. (sort of a feeling of "bleeding money" since buying the bike and add-on list)
post #8 of 32 Old 03-03-2018, 02:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had both factory service manuals and Haynes manuals, and found the factory manuals to be superior. Mostly it's a question of production values. My service manuals have always been printed on decent paper, with clear line drawings done by professional illustrators. The Haynes manuals I've used have been printed on what looks like a grade of newsprint, with murky photographs depicting the various procedures, rather than line drawings. No doubt these are all cost saving measures to keep the manuals in the $30.00 range, and the manuals are good for many procedures, but they do lack some detail for more complicated stuff. I've bought factory manuals for both my V-Strom and Super Tenere; they're definitely pricey, but I've found them to be worth it.

Like Hans says, they're overkill if all you want to do is change your oil, bleed your brakes, or maintenance tasks like that. There are lots of Youtube videos on how to so those things. For something more extensive like removing the steering head, or replacing a seal in the final drive, I'd rather have the official service manual with lots of clear illustrations.
Motorpsychology likes this.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #9 of 32 Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayyalc View Post
Just FYI that those are not legit copies of the manual.
How do you know they are not legit?

2017 V-Strom 650
2012 DRZ 400
post #10 of 32 Old 04-29-2018, 11:39 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhat View Post
How do you know they are not legit?
Did you see the number of other manuals listed there? Unless somebody here is selling their real OEM manual or you get it straight from Suzuki, 99% of the time it is a pirated manual and it against the rules here. I deleted all of those links........I'm sure you and others have noticed.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
haynes , manual

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode