LED bulbs for '17+? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2017+ DL650A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 10-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
LED bulbs for '17+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
No spacer is necessary and fitting one is probably not possible. It/they would interfere with the mating surfaces.

The adaptor is designed to put the LED's in the correct place relative to the reflector.

......I recall watching an LED headlight bulb review on youtube listing the top 15 makes, and some of them came with Ďspacers/collarsí which fitted between the mounting plate and the headlight body. This effectively moved the focal point in relation to the reflector and thus changed the light pattern on the road. Yes it would be a PITA to do, but in the report, it made the difference between a bad bulb and a good one!
Itís useless having lots of lumens if itís not all hitting the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by LoloPD; 10-21-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloPD View Post
......I recall watching an LED headlight bulb review on youtube listing the top 10 makes, and some of them came with Ďspacersí which you fitted by pulling the LED bulb out from the mounting plate. This effectively moved the focal point further away from the reflector and thus changed the light pattern on the road. Yes it would be a PITA to do, but in the report, it made the difference between a bad bulb and a good one!
Itís useless having lots of lumens if itís not all hitting the road.

A new generation of adjustable bulb that I know nothing about. All of my non adjustable bulbs have been a big step up.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #13 of 20 Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Check out this YouTube LED headlight review before parting with your cash........

post #14 of 20 Old 10-22-2017, 09:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good info, thanks for the pointer. Will do some additional research and talk to the folks at Cyclops to see what they have to say.

Appreciate the way they did the back to back testing.

Rob
LoloPD likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old 10-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
LED bulbs for '17+?

Just noticed that on Amazon UK, all of the replacement LED headlights are sold in packs of 2, which is a bit of a pisser for owners of the new Vee and Wee!
Also the excellent GRR gen3 bulbs only seem to be available in USA! Is there a UK supplier or equivalent?

Last edited by LoloPD; 10-27-2017 at 03:48 PM.
post #16 of 20 Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Are there any LED bulbs designed for our bike that have the metal mesh heat sink instead of the fan. I prefer to not have a fan on my bulb for longevity/reliability reasons.

Last edited by DaveG99; 06-20-2018 at 11:53 AM.
post #17 of 20 Old 06-20-2018, 11:18 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Iím in the same boat but for different reasons. Iím a Brit living now in the tropics where an afternoon thunderstorm can literally turn day into night in an instant, and due to the difficulty in obtaining parts (I donít have the luxury of Ďif itís no good send it backí option) Iíve got to be 110% sure before I buy!
Any input is MOST welcome.

My experience with LED lights during heavy rain and fog is not good. The light is too white in nature and basically is reflected back at you with the end result you can't see the trail or road. Got caught out on the side of a mountain at night on my WRR with an LED replacement headlight. There was still ice and snow on some of the trails and when a warm front moved the fog came in with it. I literally could only see a meter or two in front of the bike. Longest ride back to camp that I ever have been on. What should have taken about 20 minutes became a 2.5 hour white knuckle ordeal.

When I got back home after that ride I put the regular halogen bulb back in but I mounted some LED Spots on my hand guards that I could turn on and off depending on the riding conditions. This worked out much better for me.

Of course this is not an issue if you don't ride in fog or heavy rain... or are not so dense as to be caught in those situations.
LoloPD likes this.

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
post #18 of 20 Old 06-21-2018, 08:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
My experience with LED lights during heavy rain and fog is not good. The light is too white in nature and basically is reflected back at you with the end result you can't see the trail or road. Got caught out on the side of a mountain at night on my WRR with an LED replacement headlight. There was still ice and snow on some of the trails and when a warm front moved the fog came in with it. I literally could only see a meter or two in front of the bike. Longest ride back to camp that I ever have been on. What should have taken about 20 minutes became a 2.5 hour white knuckle ordeal.

When I got back home after that ride I put the regular halogen bulb back in but I mounted some LED Spots on my hand guards that I could turn on and off depending on the riding conditions. This worked out much better for me.

Of course this is not an issue if you don't ride in fog or heavy rain... or are not so dense as to be caught in those situations.

I can completely understand your comments regarding ultra-white light and their ability to cut through fog: in fact Iím sure this was the reason for amber fog lamps
Obviously a big factor in opting to go the LED route is also their life span and vastly reduced current drain.
Iím wondering if you could specify a Ďwarmerí LED headlight bulb ( because you can DEFINITELY specify different temperature LED bulbs for just about every other Application) so that it mimics a common filament bulb, and supplement these with ultra white LED spots!

Sent from my iPhone8
post #19 of 20 Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
I can completely understand your comments regarding ultra-white light and their ability to cut through fog: in fact Iím sure this was the reason for amber fog lamps
Obviously a big factor in opting to go the LED route is also their life span and vastly reduced current drain.
Iím wondering if you could specify a Ďwarmerí LED headlight bulb ( because you can DEFINITELY specify different temperature LED bulbs for just about every other Application) so that it mimics a common filament bulb, and supplement these with ultra white LED spots!

Sent from my iPhone8
I believe the LED I was running in the headlight was around 5500K. Now they do make colored lens covers that I could have went with but then I am dealing with that all the time when I don't need too. The combo of the stock bulb and led spots has worked quite well on the WRR so I probably will just stick with that route.

A note about power draw. Unless you are planning on updating your R/R or will be running heated gear reducing power consumption on the stock bike and charging system won't happen. Basically with the stock charging system the bike is always outputting full power all the time. What ever power is not used by the system it basically converted to heat by the R/R. So if you reduce your light power usage by 30 watts well then the R/R will turn those 30 watts into heat.

There are some newer tech R/R's out there that basically limit the output of power based on what the bike uses. That with LED lighting is probably the best way to go.

At the end of the day if it works for you then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Enjoy!

2018 DL650XT - Nomad
2012 WR250R - Rowen
2003 KTM 450 EXC - Hulk
post #20 of 20 Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Are there any LED bulbs designed for our bike that have the metal mesh heat sink instead of the fan. I prefer to not have a fan on my bulb for longevity/reliability reasons.

I've had one of *THESE* in my Versys for the last year and it works great. The build quality seems great. The heat sink seems very well designed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode